aol is completely dodgy, i mean with a name like AMERICA online
then dont use it
a_musical_guy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I've had AOL for 5 years now and I haven't had a problem. :rolleyes:

In fact, (next to Demon Internet) I think they're the best UK ISP around.
caz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by a_musical_guy)

UK ISP? lol
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by a_musical_guy)

Its not real though its fake. AOL dosn't use TCP/IP it just emulates it so in a real life situation its useless. It may be for home use. AOL for me though would be 100% useless.
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by curryADD)
take that back.....america is awesome!
in some respects maybe but they do like to rip other people off lol
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by curryADD)
take that back.....america is awesome!
but its such an obvious marketing ploy
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
but its such an obvious marketing ploy
Especialy when you consider you are not really getting the internet. Just somthing that connects to the world wide web and can use resitricted email services. Of course AOL uses the internet but not in the same way as every other ISP does.
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i got aol as my first isp in about 1995 on a 14.4k modem. I thought it was wicked then, all the chat and slingo. Fantastic.
emom100
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i've never had a problem with it but then i am just using it for basic home use.
Rich
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by wigman15)
Hey!!

Within a few months of using AOL's unlimited £15.99 56K contract, I found out that they were charging me as the Pay As You Go rate which amounted to £76.00! Eventhough on my account it said that I was an unlimited subscriber, they had automatically switched me without my consent and wouldn't give me a refund. When I phoned them, they said it was my fault?!?! I was damn right p***** off! Everytime I rang them, they were having an argument with me without the slightest care. A few times, they even hung up on me. After sending them an official letter, they decided to compensate me for one month. I simply told them to go to their place!

Since then I have been using BT's broadband service which is much more reliable with an excellent customer service. I sincerely do not recommend AOL to anyone!!

AOL boast about their "excellent service" which is completely false. They are liars, thieves and simply do not care.
You should've been able to get a full refund if what you say is true. Did you threaten legal action? I would have.

And as loads of people have mentioned, don't touch AOL with a large barge pole. Bloated, proprietary crap.
JuniperBlue
Report 16 years ago
I've been using it for about 3 years now with no problems, they've never overcharged me. AOL's getting better, AOL 9.0 is good.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JuniperBlue)
I've been using it for about 3 years now with no problems, they've never overcharged me. AOL's getting better, AOL 9.0 is good.
Yeah but its just mickey mouse, try using any of the TCP/IP suite programs with it. Or doing any remotely computing on it. I think it still dosn't even work with Internet Explorer does it?
Chima
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I wouldn't use AOL simply because they are micky mouse. They don't use TCP/IP they use their own protocol. This means its virtualy 100% incomptable with any standard equipment other than dialup modems which don't work at packet level.

This why AOL is only used at home because it simply dosn't work in a large networking environment. AOL to me is a complete joke aimed at people who know nothing about computing (no offence).

I am with BT simply because we got a discount (long story) but its great because I use it with a router and evey PC in the house has always on internet. You can't do this with AOL unless you run a proxy server which is not ideal.
well said my friend
Chima
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Yeah but its just mickey mouse, try using any of the TCP/IP suite programs with it. Or doing any remotely computing on it. I think it still dosn't even work with Internet Explorer does it?
I had a friend a few years back who constnatly had problems with his aol. firstly, his machine wasnt very fast and having an aol browser on it would totally grind it to a halt sometimes. all the special functions it says it has can easily be downloaded or are already in Internet Explorer. Secondly, it wouldnt allow any other programs to use the internet. IE wouldnt work, neither did yahoo or msn messenger. it jus couldnt find the internet to connect. i think aol's a waste. you cannot enjoy an internet experience with aol. its a loner in the information super-highway.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Chima)
I had a friend a few years back who constnatly had problems with his aol. firstly, his machine wasnt very fast and having an aol browser on it would totally grind it to a halt sometimes. all the special functions it says it has can easily be downloaded or are already in Internet Explorer. Secondly, it wouldnt allow any other programs to use the internet. IE wouldnt work, neither did yahoo or msn messenger. it jus couldnt find the internet to connect. i think aol's a waste. you cannot enjoy an internet experience with aol. its a loner in the information super-highway.
That will be because AOL dosn't understand TCP/IP and this how the internet works within operating systems such as Microsoft Windows. AOL basicaly works regardless of the operating systems protocols so as far as windows will be concerned there is no internet connection.

I am not sure what happens to this data once goes to the modem but I would assume the it must get converted back into TCP/IP at some point, probably at AOL itself otherwise I don't understand how it can speak to other routers as routers work off TCP/IP.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I remeber back in the day i had an aol connection (back in 1996) and other programs like IE still worked fine with it. this was AOL 2.0 i think. they must have still had TCP/IP
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (230)
61.33%
Yes- I don't like it (16)
4.27%
No- I want it (104)
27.73%
No- I don't want it (25)
6.67%

Watched Threads