Horrendous and Brilliant Summer Jobs Watch

This discussion is closed.
vicki1982
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi,

I'm a journalism student writing a feature about the best and worst of summer jobs. Been stuck in a factory for 12 hours a day throwing out bent banana's? Got a job doing Brad Pitt's make-up?

Please let me know your stories!

Email [email protected]
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Bit off topic but where are you doing journalism? I have applied to do it and is it any good?
Worst summer job for me was working on the boats down at my local lake, I kept falling in and coming out covered in duck ****.
Best Summer Job working in a hotel purely because you got to know the people that were staying there as well as getting paid £7 an hour you get huge tips and it's pretty straightforward and I can now make a bed like a professional
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by vicki1982)
Hi,

I'm a journalism student writing a feature about the best and worst of summer jobs. Been stuck in a factory for 12 hours a day throwing out bent banana's? Got a job doing Brad Pitt's make-up?

Please let me know your stories!

Email [email protected]
Actually I was a hit man the last summer, it was pretty cool.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The only summer jobs I had had is delivering leaflets. I've just spent 5 minutes trying to think of a funny story that has happened while delvering leaflets and I can't think of one apart from being chased by dogs, and nearly getting run over by that twat Tony Wilson.
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hmmm, getting paid to play tennis is a pretty nice thing to do for some summer employement to be honest.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
Bit off topic but where are you doing journalism? I have applied to do it and is it any good?
Worst summer job for me was working on the boats down at my local lake, I kept falling in and coming out covered in duck ****.
Best Summer Job working in a hotel purely because you got to know the people that were staying there as well as getting paid £7 an hour you get huge tips and it's pretty straightforward and I can now make a bed like a professional
She is doing journalism at sheffield thats a sheffield email address and the j at the start of the email address is department of journalism. If you've got any questions about journalism my flatmate is doing a journalism postgrad so I can ask her anything for you.
vicki1982
Thanks for your replies.

I am doing journalism at Shef - a brilliant course, but not one for the slackers so if you just want to do 3 hours a week I would not recommend it, but if you want to get something out of it then it's got to be the best one!

Dani, is there any chance you could email me about the boats - sounds pretty funny. If not, then:

1) What's your real first name? (Dani?)
2) What college/Uni were you studying at/ if not, what area/county?
3) How much did you get paid?
4) What exactly did you do?
5) How long did you last?

Cheers for your help people!
vicki1982
Keep 'Em coming!

I'm still waiting for someone to top the dead chicken factory (although the toilet factory cam close...)
]{ingnik
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by vicki1982)
Keep 'Em coming!

I'm still waiting for someone to top the dead chicken factory (although the toilet factory cam close...)
i was working for a m8s dad (a glazier) and i cut a vein in my arm and at the same time got hot tar all over my hands. that hurt. and sucked.
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ]{ingnik)
i was working for a m8s dad (a glazier) and i cut a vein in my arm and at the same time got hot tar all over my hands. that hurt. and sucked.
Ive only had one summer job, and that was in a call centre, we had to ring 35 people a day and get them to fill out a form over the phone, out of 450 attempts(on average) about 20 were succesful, and the majority of people you ring:
a) cant speak english properly
b) dont understand the question
c) dont give you proper answers to the questions

Its like:
Me: On a scale of 1-4, 1 being the least satisfied, 4 being the most satisfied, please rate how you felt about the service you received at (garage name here):

Them: Oh, it was very good

Me : On a scale of 1 to 4 please

Them: Yes

What great fun it was
_EMMA_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i have been working in a supermarket for the past summers. it is quite boring actually but the salary is good.
emom100
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
worst job was working in a pharmacy with a pharmasist that was pure evil. He made me cry every time i worked, told me i was useless all the time, constantly sweared at me, threatened to dock my wages when people had been pick shoplifting ....despite the fact the shoplifter was his son and the boss knew perfectly well what he was doing. I could carry on but i'd be going all night. I got my satisfaction by spitting in his tea all the time though :0) The worst thing is my gran still uses him and thinks he's very good at his job grrrrr. IN reality he's a lazy sod thats given ehr the wrong tablets repreatedly
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (542)
66.5%
No (273)
33.5%

Watched Threads