This discussion is closed.
FutureMedicalDoctor
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I am currently in year 10, and have already sat 3 science GCSE module exams aswell as doing English (2A*, 2A's) & Spanish (A) controlled assessments. Right now I am currently reading over my notes when I get home from school, listening hard in class etc. but I procrastinate on weekends because of lack of motivation.

Okay so All A*'s may not be possible but at least 7/8 A*'s I'm aiming for. I've found that studying a few hours over a long-term period is the most effective way for me to study efficiently rather than cramming in a few weeks before exams. So, should I take advantage of this & study a few hours on weekends on the hardest subjects (Maths & Physics) and then continue doing what I'm doing now? Thanks!
WhatamIdoing
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Really just revise a bit and then do a helluvalot of past papers. Its mainly exam technique you need to get to grips with.
Fragile_Illusions
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This thread has the answers.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1533306

:ahee:
bramz19
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by FutureMedicalDoctor)
I am currently in year 10, and have already sat 3 science GCSE module exams aswell as doing English (2A*, 2A's) & Spanish (A) controlled assessments. Right now I am currently reading over my notes when I get home from school, listening hard in class etc. but I procrastinate on weekends because of lack of motivation.

Okay so All A*'s may not be possible but at least 7/8 A*'s I'm aiming for. I've found that studying a few hours over a long-term period is the most effective way for me to study efficiently rather than cramming in a few weeks before exams. So, should I take advantage of this & study a few hours on weekends on the hardest subjects (Maths & Physics) and then continue doing what I'm doing now? Thanks!
Long term work is all well and good, but starting revision a couple of weeks before the exams isn't cramming. Buzzing off Red Bull the night before while flicking through a textbook: that's cramming. The weeks before the exam are the most important. Keep up the good work, but make sure you don't burn yourself out by revising too early. If you've found a method of revision which works for you, that's all that matters. Just don't work too hard, and make sure you revise hard in the run up to the exams. Good luck.
onelessdayofschool
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Definitely try and do at least 2 hours of revision during weekends. I found it easiest to stay up late on Saturdays until I finish the topic I was revising and then went to sleep at about 1/2 am - much easier than working in the day because you have nothing better to do at that time of the night and you're more motivated to just get it over and done with.

This definitely helped me get 10 A*s at GCSE.

BTW Start from THIS weekend.
brendan.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Ah, GCSE days!
Urm,.. well I got 7 A*s just by learning my notes back to front, but I definately think I done too much cramming, and as a result I didn't quite get my targets in some subjects. Though, I was still over the moon with my results.
I'd say that starting as early as possible is best, and then closer to exams you will probably realise that you know alot of the subjects inside out.. hopefully. Oh, and cramming is great for things you can't remember. I've always done the thing where I read over things I don't understand just before going to sleep, and that way I seem to remember it in the morning.. not too sure why. But it works for me! :grin:
Good Luck!
llpokermuffinll
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No point getting A*s. Tell me whats the bludy point.? Doing 20 years hard work education and then still end up with no job. No point honestly. Rather try getting a job now.
MostCompetitive
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

I didn't try very hard and got 7A*s instead of the 11 out of 12 that I wanted. Easily done if you put the effort in.
AtomicMan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Exam technique, especially for subjects like history where it is make or break. I made the mistake of not even looking at a past paper during my mocks :'(
callumccfc
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
just don't revise until a few weeks before real exams dont u fins it boring... and the differents between A* and C is not much it will not get u anything better tbh
username1689987
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by onelessdayofschool)
Definitely try and do at least 2 hours of revision during weekends. I found it easiest to stay up late on Saturdays until I finish the topic I was revising and then went to sleep at about 1/2 am - much easier than working in the day because you have nothing better to do at that time of the night and you're more motivated to just get it over and done with.

This definitely helped me get 10 A*s at GCSE.

BTW Start from THIS weekend.
oh god i want at least 8 A*s but I know I won't get them lol; my mocks are going so badly
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.52%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.07%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.04%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.07%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (78)
28.89%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.41%

Watched Threads