Overseas fees but qualify for domestic fees? Watch

This discussion is closed.
africa
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Anybody out there that declared themselves to as "overseas fees" status, as easier to get in, but could have qualified for domestic fees? I wonder if this is common.
Weirdo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
That would just be stupid... unless your parents are loaded!!! Overseas fees are at least 7x the amount of "home" fees.

The best thing to do is fill out a home fees application, but make it unclear whether you should be classified as a home fees student, or an overseas student. What happens then is that the unis give you lower offers, with overseas fees status, along with a set of "fees status" questionaires... That's what I did :rolleyes: I got an offer of ABB to study maths at kings college, London, and they sent me a letter a few days ago saying that my overseas stutus had been changed to home status - they can't take away/change the offer!
africa
(Original post by Weirdo)
That would just be stupid... ...!
Clever! Very clever. That in itself merits an attactive offer. Well done! Of course, the idea of declaring yourself "overseas" (presuming you are rich enough) is to get into a more elite university. Oxford, on its web site, has statistics showing it only take around 18 students a year from France and Germany together. And I suspect a fair sprinkling of these would have overseas status.
Canada Girl
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by africa)
Clever! Very clever. That in itself merits an attactive offer. Well done! Of course, the idea of declaring yourself "overseas" (presuming you are rich enough) is to get into a more elite university. Oxford, on its web site, has statistics showing it only take around 18 students a year from France and Germany together. And I suspect a fair sprinkling of these would have overseas status.
I am so confused. I am applying from Canada and will be paying (provided I get accepted) overseas fees (which are pretty damn expensive). To Weirdo: Would it be possible for me to change to home status???
And further, to Africa: what do you mean by "declaring yourself 'overseas' is to get into a more elite uni?"
Is it hard to get into Cambridge as an overseas???
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Canada Girl)
I am so confused. I am applying from Canada and will be paying (provided I get accepted) overseas fees (which are pretty damn expensive). To Weirdo: Would it be possible for me to change to home status???
And further, to Africa: what do you mean by "declaring yourself 'overseas' is to get into a more elite uni?"
Is it hard to get into Cambridge as an overseas???
No, it's just some guy being stupid. You wouldn't be able to pay home fees as you have to be a UK or EU resident and have lived there for at least 3 years. There are some people who believe that students paying overseas fees have a better chance of getting in to elite universities than home students because they can be charged more, although I'm not so sure this is true.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Canada Girl
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
No, it's just some guy being stupid. You wouldn't be able to pay home fees as you have to be a UK or EU resident and have lived there for at least 3 years. There are some people who believe that students paying overseas fees have a better chance of getting in to elite universities than home students because they can be charged more, although I'm not so sure this is true.

Humph. Thanks for clearing that up for me. It did sound a little sketchy to me...I hope if I get accepted it's based on my merit, and not the fact that I have to take out a student loan to pay my tuition. Geez.
africa
There are some people who believe that students paying overseas fees have a better chance of getting in to elite universities
There have been several threads with many comparisons of offers to show that this is very much the case. And just read the press if not convinced.... LSE flaunts its policy of 50% overseas. I'm surprised there isn't more of an outcry (well Blair's proposals's would alleviate the discrimination, but that will come too late for me).
Canada Girl
Report 16 years ago
There have been several threads with many comparisons of offers to show that this is very much the case. And just read the press if not convinced.... LSE flaunts its policy of 50% overseas. I'm surprised there isn't more of an outcry (well Blair's proposals's would alleviate the discrimination, but that will come too late for me).
But do you think that LSE would accept an overseas with lesser quals. than a domestic just because they will get more money? I think that schools like LSE, Cam, Ox, Harvard, etc. have international reputations and attract outstanding applicants from all over the world, so therefore, have more overseas students.
Weirdo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You wouldn't be able to pay home fees as you have to be a UK or EU resident and have lived there for at least 3 years.
I've been given home status at Kings and Imperial, and I've never lived in the UK or EU!
africa
(Original post by Canada Girl)
...LSE would accept an overseas with lesser quals. than a domestic ...
Definitely. First LSE makes offers to any overseas applicants it gets much earlier (to persaude them not to go to the US etc) while the "Homes" are kept waiting much longer. Second IB offers are clearly several points lower for Overseas than for Home (IB is done in rich shcools throughtout Europe, and also in the US, so comparable). THe offers are still at high levels of course, but are just not quite as demanding. There have been several threads on this of late, and the evidence on the offers is undisputable. LSE figures likely even hide the very high mumber of Overseas. For example, some students listed as coming from the UK or Europe will have done an A-Level or IB year in the EU before entering, may be classified as UK or EU for entrance (not fees), but in reality, they pay Overseas fees.

==> Conclusion: one standard for the rich, another for everyone else. This is all the more serious in the elite institutions with influence, as it helps pepetuate the dynasty of the rich. I am surprised there isn't more uncovering of such practices in the press.

PS with the rise in entrants, I hear too that there are more and more private counsellors (esp. for the Overseas) getting into the game, exploiting anomalies like above, and getting paid well for it. Those without such means will jsut have to use uk-learning.net!

PSS Hey Weirdo, how the hell did you manage to get yourself classified as Home?! And you've got good offers too! Brilliant. Well done.
sp3-h
Report 16 years ago
PSS Hey Weirdo, how the hell did you manage to get yourself classified as Home?! And you've got good offers too! Brilliant. Well done.[/QUOTE]

ditto weirdo, please tell us!
africa
(Original post by minkailin)
got an offer from cambridge BUT
cuz i STUPIDLY put "private finance" in the ucas form i'll b charged 20 times more than what i expected!!
i plan to phone up cambridge and change my status but i'm paranoid abt it...wot if they reject me altogether or make the offer impossiblely harder!? helpppppp
(Original post by minkailin)
i havnt had a confirmation through UCAS for my cambridge offer, but i already sent a letter to the admissions tutor arguing abt my fee status. i'm kinda worried/paranoid that they mite take back the offer!
Hey minkailin! IF around, lt us know how you get along! Hope it goes well.
Weirdo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by sp3-h)
PSS Hey Weirdo, how the hell did you manage to get yourself classified as Home?! And you've got good offers too! Brilliant. Well done.
ditto weirdo, please tell us![/QUOTE]

lol... well, once the uni give you an offer they don't have the right to take it away, so I just wrote several e-mails, and filled in the home-status forms extra carefully... I included stuff like a "working temporarily in dubai" booklet, a temporary contract from my dad's company (he doesn't really have a contract - he manages the company, so he wrote the letter himself , then got the owner of the comapny to sign it), and lists of every single date, since 1896, that I've been back to england
we have a house in england too, but we don't pay taxes.

Anyway, people who would be living in the UK/EU if it were not for one of their parents working "temporarily" overseas, are usually given home status... I just had to kinda work my way around that, coz I've never even lived in england, and my parents have lived in the UAE for about 28 year!

I got there in the end 5 offers so far, so it was all worth it...

*Tara*
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
. Second IB offers are clearly several points lower for Overseas than for Home (.
What makes you say that? It's not the impression I've got (from my admittedly small sample of people in my school).
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No, it's just some guy being stupid. You wouldn't be able to pay home fees as you have to be a UK or EU resident and have lived there for at least 3 years.

Under the terms of the bilateral agreement signed last year, residents of Switzerland are also entitled to pay home fees (slightly random I know).
Canada Girl
Report 16 years ago
I was always under the impression that it is more difficult for international students to gain acceptance into Cambridge or any institution that is not in their home country. I'm not holding my breath in getting accepted for law at my college. I think I am at a disadvantage. Canadian law schools it is!
selkie222
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
From what I heard, the colleges MUST take a certain proportion of home students while they are under no obligation to take any overseas student.

There are always more overseas students than Oxbridge can take each year. Many of them that actually apply from overseas are likely to be the very elite of their region. Those that apply from UK but are still classified as overseas are thus under very high competition.

Although colleges may prefer taking overseas students because of the 7x fees, they can certainly have their pick of which overseas student they want. I think the competition is even higher this way and certainly not worth it.
africa
(Original post by selkie222)
From what I heard, the colleges MUST take a certain proportion of home students...
Yes that is true. Some colleges state they will only take max 5% or 10% of overseas on their sites (e.g Trin Trin Hall Cambridge). And there are even tougher rules for faculty like medicine. And certainly a number like even 10% is very low compared to LSE (50%+ ?). And it as of LSE I was thinking of first (and the other threads have been referring to)... Makes sense too, wiht expenses being so high in London, yet fees are the same! But still, even at Oxbridge, when overseas seem to hold offers closer to the mid 30s than the low 40s, £££ are the reason. And I am sure there must be unofficial biases too... there are tons of Asians with great exam results. But to ensure diversity, I am sure barriers are a bit lower from elsewhere.
nervous
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Weirdo)

they can't take away/change the offer!
hey i am a (genuine!) overseas student and some of my offers actually say at the bottom ' This offer is conditional on overseas fee status
It may be reassessed if your status changes' (guess they're just after my money huh?!!)- so i think that you may be risking it if u actually tried that - i think it depends on the uni though...
Weirdo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by nervous)
hey i am a (genuine!) overseas student and some of my offers actually say at the bottom ' This offer is conditional on overseas fee status
It may be reassessed if your status changes' (guess they're just after my money huh?!!)- so i think that you may be risking it if u actually tried that - i think it depends on the uni though...
no... I wasn't risking it because I applied as a home status student, so I had the right to argue when they gave me overseas status
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.48%
No (240)
33.52%

Watched Threads