Poll: Which the best
Msc Finance at Impérial College London (19)
70.37%
Msc Finance at Cass BS (8)
29.63%
Borisvian
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Just for the poll :

Which is the best

Msc Finance Impérial College London

or

Msc Finance Cass

Personally, I think that Impérial is by far better and more prestigious (it's Obvious) than Cass...just want to know the opinion of the others in this forum
student_london
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't think there is a huge difference/gap between these 2, as it is with lse/oxbridge and cass.
prospectivEEconomist
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by student_london)
I don't think there is a huge difference/gap between these 2, as it is with lse/oxbridge and cass.
I totally agree with you.
Borisvian
Rep:
?
But there's a difference...Cass is a tier below Impérial...it's like looking to a glass of water:some people said that its half empty and others said that you have half water
For Msc Finance :
Impérial with LSE/Oxbridge are just amazing and Warwick is very good but with Cass (City university) you still on the average and even below the average..til now, given what i saw in companies websites (IB and consultancy) for the best BB (GS,JPMorgan,MS...) and Bain/Mckinsey/BCG, oftenly, you have any event for Cass...you always have OXBRIDGE then LSE/Impérial (with a preference for those 4 which are always on the list) then Warwick then Edinburgh/Durham/Bristol/Bath whose are listed by some companies and not by others...and those are facts...At Cass you have a huge number of Msc related to Finance, i think that they destroy the potential of each other but constitute a real bargain for the school (money talks)....

For the long-run, the schools that are worthy to have in your CV are Oxbridge, Imperial and LSE...That's it
Personnally, I was accepted at Cass last year and i declined...now i have the choice between Imperial and LSE and i'm really Torn..it was easier if i had LSE Vs Cass or Imperial vs Cass...Obviously Imperial and LSE win in any day against Cass and the caliber of the students which are accepted is not the same
prospectivEEconomist
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Borisvian)
But there's a difference...Cass is a tier below Impérial...it's like looking to a glass of water:some people said that its half empty and others said that you have half water
For Msc Finance :
Impérial with LSE/Oxbridge are just amazing and Warwick is very good but with Cass (City university) you still on the average and even below the average..til now, given what i saw in companies websites (IB and consultancy) for the best BB (GS,JPMorgan,MS...) and Bain/Mckinsey/BCG, oftenly, you have any event for Cass...you always have OXBRIDGE then LSE/Impérial (with a preference for those 4 which are always on the list) then Warwick then Edinburgh/Durham/Bristol/Bath whose are listed by some companies and not by others...and those are facts...At Cass you have a huge number of Msc related to Finance, i think that they destroy the potential of each other but constitute a real bargain for the school (money talks)....

For the long-run, the schools that are worthy to have in your CV are Oxbridge, Imperial and LSE...That's it
Personnally, I was accepted at Cass last year and i declined...now i have the choice between Imperial and LSE and i'm really Torn..it was easier if i had LSE Vs Cass or Imperial vs Cass...Obviously Imperial and LSE win in any day against Cass and the caliber of the students which are accepted is not the same
Imperial's Finance programme places 50% of students in jobs. Thats poor for Imperial's flagship business programme. Hence Imperial is similar to cass for Finance.
Theophile
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
Imperial's Finance programme places 50% of students in jobs. Thats poor for Imperial's flagship business programme. Hence Imperial is similar to cass for Finance.
where does this number come from?
prospectivEEconomist
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Theophile)
where does this number come from?
the imperial careers thing page
Theophile
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
the imperial careers thing page
what is the link?

these are the only stats I can find:

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/careers/r...businessschool
Borisvian
Rep:
?
Please stop misinformation..(50% is just impossible) you just guess a false number...the true rate is 97%..yes sir...97% for Impérial Msc Finance

In the Financial Times, The Msc finance at Impérial College London has a placement rate of 97%... among the highest and Cass Msc finance is just 63,7% (Very low)

just Check in this link :

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoo...ers-in-finance

Here's the link for Cass : http://www.city.ac.uk/careers/studen...ss_report.html

.Be honest please...

City university (Cass Bs) is 30th in Uk lol( all league tables) whereas Impérial is always 3rd in this country slightly after Oxbridge..

Impérial is 7th in the World in The Times Higher education - 9th in the world in QS and 27th in the world in ARWU...and City university is not even ranked

Here you have an interesting article from the financial Times :

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/854d8a6c-d...#axzz1D0tgPGEa

The inner circle of finance where all banks recruit : Cambridge - Oxford - Impérial College London

The outer circel of Finance where some banks recruit and other not : LSE -UCL - Warwick

Loll Cass is not even cited

Imperial has the WoW factor with oxbridge and LSE but Cass has the "Oh yes" factor if you understand what i mean

My tuppance worth.
student_london
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I would never hire someone from Imperial's MSc in Finance. They've got such high calibre candidates from maths, engineering, CS.
Best people in I-banks from Imperial are not the ones that have done MSc in Finance. In this years assessment centre (Trading/Structuring) not a single sausage from Imperial's MSc in Finance. Imperial, yes but not MSc in Finance.
Imperial is Imperial, no doubt about that. But, Imperial and Imperial Business School two different beasts.
It's a bit like doing a MBA from Said/Judge and then claiming that it's at par with LBS, Harvard, Stanford, Yale....just b/c it's part of something great. Do you see my point?
Theophile
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I would never hire someone from Imperial's MSc in Finance. They've got such high calibre candidates from maths, engineering, CS.
Best people in I-banks from Imperial are not the ones that have done MSc in Finance. In this years assessment centre (Trading/Structuring) not a single sausage from Imperial's MSc in Finance. Imperial, yes but not MSc in Finance.
Imperial is Imperial, no doubt about that. But, Imperial and Imperial Business School two different beasts.
It's a bit like doing a MBA from Said/Judge and then claiming that it's at par with LBS, Harvard, Stanford, Yale....just b/c it's part of something great. Do you see my point?
the only things I see in your post are claims.
You would never hire someone from Imperial MSc finance, so what ?

PS: I can't help but notice that most of the criticisms towards imperial bs come from lse students.:rolleyes:
Borisvian
Rep:
?
I would never hire someone from Imperial's MSc in Finance.
But who the hell you are ? 97% of placement rate for 2010 talk by itself..how you explain that ? Are you GS CEO or JPMorgan CEO ?
for your information : a Head of credit derivatives at JP Morgan - A director at Goldman Sachs - the chairman of 3i - and a head at Barclays capitals lecture at Impérial College London for the Msc finance....I think that they have a different opinion from you
i'm really flabergasted by the say of some resentful members who are dumping their venom againt Impérial , the forum become a real kindergarten

Impérial Msc Finance has a placement rate of 97% (Source : Financial Times) I think that the FT has also a different opinion from you

Just have a look to the Poll..it's the first day..you have 8 for Impérial against 3 for Cass...I think again that those 8 have also a different opinion from you

So everyone are againt your false claims : People, Finance Professionals and the facts

give me arguments not just a bunch of venon and resent cause you was rejected by Impérial Msc finance
student_london
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Who the **** are you? Borat at Imperial? Instead of using ft stats, give me stats about placements and firms from their career service, which from their flashy brochure is not very obvious. How many BB banks are there? I am not convinced about the added value. If you can't handle different opinions why bother on here? Come on dude, you're comparing Imperial and Cass.
If you just care about brand value go there and do us all a favour.

From their brochure:
Our MSc Finance students have gone on to work for a diverse range
of companies and in a range of roles, including:
• BlackRock – Private Equity Analyst (UK)
• China Merchants Bank – Analyst (China)
• Citi – Trader (UK)
• Deloitte – Analyst (Nigeria)
• Deutsche Bank – Analyst (London)
• Fortune Asset Management – Fund Analyst (UK)
• KPMG – Analyst (Cyprus)
• Shell – Gasoline Trader (UK)
• Shenzhen Development Bank – Fixed income and
money market trader (China)
• The Bank of England – Senior Associate (UK)
• Convoy – Financial Consultant (Hong Kong).[/I]

Not amazing compared to Oxbridge/LSE IMO.

Now LSE: MSc in Finance

http://www2.lse.ac.uk/finance/prospe...tinations.aspx

PS I don't hate imps, it's world class enough said.
Borisvian
Rep:
?
From Impérial Msc finance brochure (2010-2011) and its very impressive; you have to update your informations all the guys (Heads, directors and even chairman from JP Morgan, Goldmann Sachs, 3i and Barclays capital) who come to lecture are alumnus of the Msc finance

Our MSc Finance graduates are working in many
different roles at a wide range of companies, including:

BA Pension Investment Management,
Fund Management
• Bangkok Bank P.C.L., Portfolio Management
• Bank of America Merrill Lynch,
Investment Banking
• Bank of France, Financial Economics Research
• Barclays Capital, Sales
• Barclays Capital, Investment Banking
• Barclays Wealth, Analyst
• BC Capital Management LLP, Quantitative Analyst
• BNP Paribas, Fixed Income Structuring
• C hina Development Bank, Analyst
• CI MB, Corporate Finance
• CI MB Investment Bank, Group Treasury
• C iti, Investment Banking
• Goldman Sachs, Investment Management
Hedge Funds
• Goldman Sachs, Asset Management
• Jefferies, Analyst
• J.P. Morgan, Credit Default Swaps Trader
• J.P. Morgan, Trading
• J.P. Morgan Hong Kong,
Operations & Business Services
• KPMG, Audit
• Morgan Stanley, Fixed Income, Emerging Markets
• N omura, Global Markets
• Royal Bank of Scotland, Global Markets
• UBS, Global Banking & Markets

I think you are wrong : you have Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan, Citi, BoA MI, Barclays, UBS, Nomura, jefferies, RBS, BNP Paribas...la crème de la crème...What else ?

Even the brochure is against your opinion...

now i will stop losing my time with a guy who was rejected by imperial and who didnt yet accept it
For your know, am not from imperial
student_london
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Borisvian)
From Impérial Msc finance brochure (2010-2011) and its very impressive; you have to update your informations all the guys (Heads, directors and even chairman from JP Morgan, Goldmann Sachs, 3i and Barclays capital) who come to lecture are alumnus of the Msc finance

Our MSc Finance graduates are working in many
different roles at a wide range of companies, including:

BA Pension Investment Management,
Fund Management
• Bangkok Bank P.C.L., Portfolio Management
• Bank of America Merrill Lynch,
Investment Banking
• Bank of France, Financial Economics Research
• Barclays Capital, Sales
• Barclays Capital, Investment Banking
• Barclays Wealth, Analyst
• BC Capital Management LLP, Quantitative Analyst
• BNP Paribas, Fixed Income Structuring
• C hina Development Bank, Analyst
• CI MB, Corporate Finance
• CI MB Investment Bank, Group Treasury
• C iti, Investment Banking
• Goldman Sachs, Investment Management
Hedge Funds
• Goldman Sachs, Asset Management
• Jefferies, Analyst
• J.P. Morgan, Credit Default Swaps Trader
• J.P. Morgan, Trading
• J.P. Morgan Hong Kong,
Operations & Business Services
• KPMG, Audit
• Morgan Stanley, Fixed Income, Emerging Markets
• N omura, Global Markets
• Royal Bank of Scotland, Global Markets
• UBS, Global Banking & Markets

I think you are wrong : you have Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan, Citi, BoA MI, Barclays, UBS, Nomura, jefferies, RBS, BNP Paribas...la crème de la crème...What else ?

Even the brochure is against your opinion...

now i will stop losing my time with a guy who was rejected by imperial and who didnt yet accept it
For your know, am not from imperial
Over 10 or more years that is not bad. Where does it say on the website that these are jobs for 2009/2010. Devil is in the detail. But then again, your English above is a bit like Borat too.
I think we are going off topic here. Good luck, with imperial MSc in Finance. Never said it was bad.
Borisvian
Rep:
?
Fin
Ineedaplace
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I would have to say you are arguing probably the same things. Imperial is world class, their is no debating that. It has been designed as a very quantitative course compared to other MSc Finance awards if you check out the syllabus'.

I believe what can be argued though is that the average wage in Cass from the mathematical trading and finance program is MORE then Imperial MSc Finance program. This is where Cass gets the WOW reputation from since this course draws in experienced traders who obviously came out with a higher wage then a normal graduate. The stats for this course are £56,000 per annum out of university. But the rest of Cass' MSc Finance related courses pay roughly 23,000 which is just about the average graduate salary and employment isn't anywhere near full!!!!!!

No one can argue that the barriers to entry both financial and academic are higher in Imperial College. But the fact remains you still need to do something else to make yourself employable. Also interestingly last time I was applying to internships the ONLY uk universities that were targeted wepre Oxford, Imperial and Cambridge. Not LSE. Take from that what you will. I know they were targetted as such as it said "what University are you from?" Options -HYSPM, Oxford, Imperial, Cambridge, Other.'

I have a list of companies well 7 who are recruiting like this. Just for those die hard LSE fans I think common sense would dictate that even though you don't go to once of those universities you could probably still get in. An example of a company doing this is Jane Street, they are an elite quantitative prop trading firm that utilizes it's own funds to grow. They have a very prestigious reputation if you know them.

Their were 20 ish good jobs. 190 ish people on course. Now this factor IS worrying, only 10% people get worthwhile jobs? At a stretch lets say only half people apply to the survey. 20% of people will get a decent job.....

I am an offer by the way.
Warrior King
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hmm so you seem to think Judge and SBS are vastly inferior to those mentioned institutions?

Ofcourse when thinking of the "best of the best" MBAs, LBS, Harvard and Wharton spring to mind and whilst SBS and Judge haven't had the time period to perfect the MBA they offer compared to the other mentioned places, I'd still say they're rated very highly and on par (well in a university sense rather than the course).

I mean hoping I get good marks when I graduate I'm keen on doing an MBA and for me personally I'd go for SBS or Judge over LBS or Harvard mainly because it's always been a dream to go to Oxbridge and for me the Oxbridge tag still carries a great deal of prestige. However that's my personal opinion and not reflective of what the league tables say. If I were to go off the league tables then I should put LBS as my dream destination but I'm more enthralled by possibility of studying amongst dreaming spires than in London.
Ineedaplace
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I would say I am not sure about MBA studies as I have not researched it one bit I was recently in America and the Harvard MBA's seemed crazily clever. One of them earned $420,000 first year afterwards and the average wage was $2xx,xxx. This is ALOT higher then Said or Judge. The $420,000 guy also made the newspapers so a quick google should bring it up, he works for a private equity firm.

Also I read MBA is alot about networking, so I guess London being the Financial Hub would be better. Although I don't see going to Oxbridge holding you back. In fact depending on career aspiritations it maybe better.

That being said I do judge the Mphil in finance at Cambridge vastly inferior then many courses supplied in America for investment banking due to the theoretical nature of the syallbus. Straight from the graduate admissions mouth the course is tailored for a PHD. But Oxford on the other hand is my dream university for masters in financial economics Although if I won the lottery I would want to go to a Us university since I prefer the marking system and the people there.
Mr. Roxas
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
for quality of program, i'd say they're equally good. for career opportunities, Imperial has got a slight edge. For general prestige and school brand power, Imperial has a commendable edge. but that edge is mostly seen amongst people who do not work in the corporate world.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (79)
14.21%
I'm not sure (24)
4.32%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (177)
31.83%
I have already dropped out (11)
1.98%
I'm not a current university student (265)
47.66%

Watched Threads