The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Public Transport Between Exeter and Bournemouth

Hello,

I recently received an unconditional offer to read English at Exeter! I was just wondering about the transport options between Exeter and Bournemouth because I have friends at Bournemouth University and would like to meet up with them from time to time during term. So, can someone who is more knowledgable about the local area (I'm from the Lake District so have no idea!) tell me if there is any quicker and cheaper public transport that I am yet to discover between these two places?

Now, I know all about the train journeys that require arduous changes at Castle Cary and a couple of stations in Dorchester(?!). However, these journeys take about three and a half hours on average and they cost about £29 even with my railcard. The fact that the journey times are roughly the same as 'bussing it' shows how poor the train line is between these two places!

I also know about the cheap X53 Jurassic Coast bus which goes from Exeter to Poole and have downloaded a helpful timetable for that but this takes almost five hours to get to Poole and then I'll have to get a train to Bournemouth! So unless I want to meet up with friends halfway along the coast somewhere (which we probably will do occasionally) and although it's comparatively cheap, this is just not a viable method of transport to Bournemouth..

Currently, what seems the best way of travelling to Bournemouth and back is the National Express Coach, generally costing £21 return (with a £10 year-long coachcard), with the quickest journeys lasting three and a half hours.. Still not perfect, but the lesser of three evils at the moment!

So can anyone inform me of any alternatives? Or are these my best options?

Thank you for any help! :smile:
Reply 1
Looks like you've done your reasearch! This is a journey I do every other week - personally, I go for the X53.

It's just over 4.5 hours (often less) to Poole and will cost you £6.50. There are buses every few minutes from the bus station into Bournemouth. It's only about 20 minutes to Bournemouth and will cost you £1.70/£1.80. Honestly, it isn't a bad journey because it goes along the coast and so at least you've got something to look at! Besides, for the price, you can't exactly grumble (but maybe I'm just tight... ha).

Trains? Don't even go there! I've heard it's an awful journey. I've only used National Express once, during the snow, but it wasn't the direct route (took 6.5 hours via Bristol :s-smilie:) so can't comment on that. However, there is only one coach each day to/from Bournemouth. Now, if you got the X53, you'd be able to spend a few hours extra in Bomo and have about 5 squid extra monies! :eek: Wouldn't that be fun! :tongue:

I don't know if any of that's very helpful, but I thought I might as well give you my view on things. I hope it's of some use anyway :smile:
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by kat_2k4
Looks like you've done your reasearch! This is a journey I do every other week - personally, I go for the X53.

It's just over 4.5 hours (often less) to Poole and will cost you £6.50. There are buses every few minutes from the bus station into Bournemouth. It's only about 20 minutes to Bournemouth and will cost you £1.70/£1.80. Honestly, it isn't a bad journey because it goes along the coast and so at least you've got something to look at! Besides, for the price, you can't exactly grumble (but maybe I'm just tight... ha).

Trains? Don't even go there! I've heard it's an awful journey. I've only used National Express once, during the snow, but it wasn't the direct route (took 6.5 hours via Bristol :s-smilie:) so can't comment on that. However, there is only one coach each day to/from Bournemouth. Now, if you got the X53, you'd be able to spend a few hours extra in Bomo and have about 5 squid extra monies! :eek: Wouldn't that be fun! :tongue:

I don't know if any of that's very helpful, but I thought I might as well give you my view on things. I hope it's of some use anyway :smile:

Hey :smile: Thank you for posting, you've been a great help! I'll definitely try all three but the X53 now seems the most promising option, with another bus to Bournemouth, cheap too. Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 3
If the X53 takes the route I think it does then taking 4.5 hours is ridiculous! Takes 1.5 hours by car!
Reply 4
Original post by kat_2k4

I have a friend who commutes in from Dorchester 4 days a week, but he drives to Yeovil and catches the train from there as there are no changes from there apparently.
Reply 5
Original post by Caulfield
because I have friends at Bournemouth University and would like to meet up with them from time to time during term

When you come back from Europe, I'm actually going to smack your bottom.
Reply 6
Original post by caro
when you come back from europe, i'm actually going to smack your bottom.

this is why people should keep their online life and real life separate. :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by Caulfield
this is why people should keep their online life and real life separate. :tongue:

That's why you shouldn't make it so obvious online who you are :P
Hey - how do you go about buying tickets for the X53 bus? trying to find out online but have come out at a loss... and the transfers from poole to bournemouth do you have to pre pay/book then?

Quick Reply

Latest