This discussion is closed.
happysunshine
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by corey)
don't copy me.
LOL your spelling seems fine to me (says the person who cannot spell).
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by corey)
Spelling, Puncuation and Grammar - that does not include neatness
But it is a known fact that the neater you are the more legible youare and the more chance of getting marks.
pedy1986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 2776 2)
But it is a known fact that the neater you are the more legible youare and the more chance of getting marks.
Thats me screwed then

Still...it is getting a bit stupid with the SPAG marks, for a 40 mark essay in politics, 8 of those (20% !!!!!) are for SPAG ffs.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Exactly, if they can't read it you're not going to get any marks.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by corey)
Thats me screwed then

Still...it is getting a bit stupid with the SPAG marks, for a 40 mark essay in politics, 8 of those (20% !!!!!) are for SPAG ffs.
Its on all of the boards. Every subject even the sciences.
Electric Magic
Report 15 years ago
Well I was exaggerating slightly - it's just something we point out whenever a teacher asks us if we've got any tipp-ex

My school also says we've got to use black pen, apparently because it shows up better on photocopies. I think they've kind of abandoned this rule now, I don't think it would make much difference.

Personally, my weapon of choice is the pencil because sometimes you can make mistakes and by the time you notice you've run out of space, and I don't feel guilty using a rubber whereas I don't really fancy dousing my paper in tippex. All these correcting fluids are nothing compared to the might of the rubber
splaty
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
If I could, I'd use pencils... my writing is much neater and I just prefer holding them!
Ditto. All my school work is in pencil.. Annoys the teachers though.

In exams I just take in as many Bics as I can carry as well as whatever metal (nice and heavy to hold) ballpoints I can scrounge up before the exam.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
Discuss the merits and limitations of pens here.
I generally use a biro. Fountain and Gel pens just don't seem to move across the page the same way. My handwriting has always been neat (for a boy) so I'm not hampered by that aspect in receiving marks. Biro just feels right I guess. *shrugs*
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I always use black biro for exams. A long time ago, my Maths teacher told me that people who write in black got 10% more marks on average (for subjects with subjective answers, obviously in Maths it's either right or wrong). It's probably all crap, but I have been superstitious and used black for exams ever since. My fountain pen always has blue cartridges, and doesn't like it when I change colour, so I use biros. I don't like Parker pens - the nibs are too thick for my handwriting.
G4ry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
I don't like Parker pens - the nibs are too thick for my handwriting.
Try Lamy, they're not too expensive, or if you want to go a bit more up-market go for a Cross.
splaty
Report 15 years ago
Aye I can vouch for Lamys.. Don't use them because I dislike Fountain pens, but if I was going to use one, I'd use a Lamy.

I stuck a Lamy in my mates leg once.. Accident of course, but man, those nibs are big.. He got me back by throwing me into an old radiator and cracking my head open.. Happy times..
GH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
Try Lamy, they're not too expensive, or if you want to go a bit more up-market go for a Cross.
I have a Duke myself, cost a forutne, but worth every penny of it. It is a bit topheavy but really really nice.
Electric Magic
Report 15 years ago
I always use pencil whenever I can, except for essays but then I do sciences so that hardly ever happens now.

Of course if you write like a spider you're going to get penalised for spag, but then my guess is that by the time you've been on the planet for more than 15 years most people are going to have reasonable handwriting skills. Then again if you're certain you know what you've written is all correct and you've got an hour to spend, you might as well pass the time by making everything nice and neat. I'm a slow writer so that doesn't really apply to me.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
Discuss the merits and limitations of pens here.
To be or not to be, as much important as this question.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
What point size to people prefer? I can't stand 'fine' personally. Medium seems to work well, and I've never even bothered with erm is it 'broad' as the largest size?
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I have a Duke myself, cost a forutne, but worth every penny of it. It is a bit topheavy but really really nice.
What's a Duke? :confused:

I've never heard of it before.
onlylittleme
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I always use a black fountain pen (cheap £1.99 one) but I find that I can write really well with it, it is more flexible than the more expensive ones and so my writing is more curvy and it flows easier. I always ALWAYS use black, mostly because my school say to only use blue, but also because I think it makes everything look much neater and prettier I am thinking of changing to black biro for exams though, just might be able to write a bit faster with them.
smile
Report 15 years ago
i use blue biro in exams, but i normally write in pink.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
What's a Duke? :confused:

I've never heard of it before.
One of the best fountain pens you are likely to come across. Superb style and shape. Pretty rare as well.
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
What point size to people prefer? I can't stand 'fine' personally. Medium seems to work well, and I've never even bothered with erm is it 'broad' as the largest size?
Mine's medium on both my pens. I was going to have one of those caligraphy square nibs put on my pen because i'm left-handed, but i left it standard.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1388)
79.59%
Leave (356)
20.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise