This discussion is closed.
iiikewldude
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
does anyone here know much about it? I would be greatful if u could share any information you have.

What kind of degree and qualifications do u need?

How competitive is it?

What kind of skills do u need; writing or sciency stuff or a mixture?

And how well paid is it?

btw im planning to read law at uni and do maths physics and history at a level equivalent.

thanks.
pedy1986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by iiikewldude)
does anyone here know much about it? I would be greatful if u could share any information you have.

How competitive is it?

And how well paid is it?

btw im planning to read law at uni and do maths physics and history at a level equivalent.

thanks.
I'm sure a law degree isn't going to lead to you becoming an investment banker.
James_W
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
www.vault.com - read, read, read.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
This kind of stuff is discussed in some depth in this thread:

http://www.uk-learning.net/showthread.php?t=20235

Probably starts on page 2 or 3.
the g
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
This kind of stuff is discussed in some depth in this thread:

http://www.uk-learning.net/showthread.php?t=20235

Probably starts on page 2 or 3.
that thread is full of economists pompous crap.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by the g)
that thread is full of economists pompous crap.
Yes, but there are some pretty decent opinions and links in there.
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
theECONOMIST knows a lot about investement banking...when he's online you should ask him.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

How competitive is it?

And how well paid is it?

thanks.
hehe, i kmnow a lot about it, and on thursday i went to a talk at UBS on this very subject. No particular degree, just show that you can work - you need good grades, as for example worldwide, they had 500 intern places of which around 50 people would get a job.
It is very competitive inter banks, but not so much internally as you work in your teams, including lawyers and you need to be able to set up deals.

Doesnt matter about the skill set you have, but you will need to be able to do decent mathamteics and have a good grasp of english

Very well paid, but you have to do it for the love not hte money as otherwise you crack up even more than the rest of them already do as there is so much pressure.
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
hehe, i kmnow a lot about it, and on thursday i went to a talk at UBS on this very subject. No particular degree, just show that you can work - you need good grades, as for example worldwide, they had 500 intern places of which around 50 people would get a job.
It is very competitive inter banks, but not so much internally as you work in your teams, including lawyers and you need to be able to set up deals.

Doesnt matter about the skill set you have, but you will need to be able to do decent mathamteics and have a good grasp of english

Very well paid, but you have to do it for the love not hte money as otherwise you crack up even more than the rest of them already do as there is so much pressure.
Jsm...are you thinking of going into it?
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ThornsnRoses)
Jsm...are you thinking of going into it?
maybe, although i would switch to politics around 40
theECONOMIST
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

How competitive is it?

And how well paid is it?

thanks.
You may want to work in an investment bank, but are you sure you want to be a banker (100hr weeks are all too common, 7 days a week).
Look at that old link as i'm too tired to argue with people about how difficult it is to work in banking, all i'll say is that it's tough, probably as tough as getting onto an oxbridge med course.
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If you do become one dont forget to buy a Mercedes S class!!!

My dad considered buying one once. He decided not to, after realising he wasnt a boring Merchant Banker.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by theECONOMIST)
You may want to work in an investment bank, but are you sure you want to be a banker (100hr weeks are all too common, 7 days a week).
Look at that old link as i'm too tired to argue with people about how difficult it is to work in banking, all i'll say is that it's tough, probably as tough as getting onto an oxbridge med course.
um, its only 7 days a week if your a junior analyst, if your a trader it tends to be 6/7 till 5, five days a week. and there is a lot of stress. Its similar to getting involved with law.
theECONOMIST
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
um, its only 7 days a week if your a junior analyst, if your a trader it tends to be 6/7 till 5, five days a week. and there is a lot of stress. Its similar to getting involved with law.
Yes i was referring to those in the investment banking division.
At the moment I'm going for trading as 5 days a week and great money makes for a fun filled weekend. Keep your options open, i think law is a bit vocational but it certainly won't prevent you from becoming a banker. How about becoming an economist at an investment bank, a masters from a good university should get you an interview, if you score a job like this you're made.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes i was referring to those in the investment banking division.
At the moment I'm going for trading as 5 days a week and great money makes for a fun filled weekend. Keep your options open, i think law is a bit vocational but it certainly won't prevent you from becoming a banker. How about becoming an economist at an investment bank, a masters from a good university should get you an interview, if you score a job like this you're made.
i want a job liek that, but i also want to have some influence so and my maths is starting to go down the drain which is why im thinking PPE
theECONOMIST
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
it would be great, imagine you make a little speculation and the market goes crazy. however those were the 80's, top performers like that are lacking in the city nowadays. not many great THINKERS, sure a good degree will make you half decent at the job.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
it would be great, imagine you make a little speculation and the market goes crazy. however those were the 80's, top performers like that are lacking in the city nowadays. not many great THINKERS, sure a good degree will make you half decent at the job.
hehe, what about that women that is getting sued in a french court for sdowngrading LVMH
theECONOMIST
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
hehe, what about that women that is getting sued in a french court for sdowngrading LVMH
haven't heard about it.
lol i read in the ft about this asian goldman sachs secretary who managed to swipe 4.2 million from the bank right under the nose of her boses.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
haven't heard about it.
lol i read in the ft about this asian goldman sachs secretary who managed to swipe 4.2 million from the bank right under the nose of her boses.
she was some woman who supposedly everyone listened to on fashion and hen she switched to a bank that was not so connected to it, she downgraded it
iiikewldude
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
i want a job liek that, but i also want to have some influence so and my maths is starting to go down the drain which is why im thinking PPE

PPE sounds like a really good course, it keeps ur options open. U could easily go into tons of stuff with a good PPE degree. If i wasn't going to do law i'd probably be doing PPE. PPE would probably be more interesting than law but a degree in PPE wouldn't be as valuable as a Law LLB.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (529)
66.79%
No (263)
33.21%

Watched Threads