Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
hi there people
i've got all my offers back and these are the main three i'm considering
i'm likely to put university of birmingham as my first choice
and put one of reading or loughborough as my insurance choice
i'm going to go to the open days of the above unis but can someone tell me which of the universities has the best reputation overall as a university and overall for economics, though for loughborough i got an offer for business economics and finance

so i would be grateful if someone could list down the reputations of the uni's in order

cheers
Cacambo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think Loughborough may be higher than Birmingham in the league tables, but Birmingham is probably the more 'prestigious' institution overall.

According to The Times, Birmingham is best for economics (#16), Loughborough is #24, and Reading #42. Personally, I'd rank them:

1. Birmingham
2. Loughborough
3. Reading
Vitriol
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Overall reputation means more in the job market. Birmingham is easily the most prestigious out of that selection.
MrIceKool
Rep:
?
thanks for the replies people
whatabout my insurance choice though would it be wiser to edge toward loughborough rather than reading?
just looking for some opinions to help make up my mind
suiken86
Report 16 years ago
yea for ur insurance i'd choose loughborough!
well depends on wut grades u need to get !
MrIceKool
Rep:
?
for lougborough i need to get 280 points and no grades below a C
reading is just 280 points
*Riz*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MrIceKool)
for lougborough i need to get 280 points and no grades below a C
reading is just 280 points
Loughborough has a really good rep for buisnessey courses - don't thy include a placement year as well?? It certainly is an up and coming uni. I would personally choose it over reading for economics. BUT....do you like sports? People who have visited loughborough have told me its even more sporty than you'd think - even the socialasing is done in bars watching sports matches. IT's becoming slightly less sporty now its joined up with an arts college but if you REALLY hate sports then you might not feel as comfortable there.
MrIceKool
Rep:
?
nope i don't hate sports
i'm one of those average type people who like sports but not really too crazy about them but i can be lol
yeah i might put down loughborough as to get 280 points i shouldn't be getting any grade lower than a C anyway but the thought of just slipping up and getting a D is kinda worrying so i thought maybe i should put reading down
*Riz*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MrIceKool)
nope i don't hate sports
i'm one of those average type people who like sports but not really too crazy about them but i can be lol
yeah i might put down loughborough as to get 280 points i shouldn't be getting any grade lower than a C anyway but the thought of just slipping up and getting a D is kinda worrying so i thought maybe i should put reading down
Yeah I know what you mean - I'm in the same position. It's so tempting to have a safety net and that little extra bit of security. Don't put Reading down if you really don't want to go there though - they'd be no point. Think how you'd feel if you put Reading down but got the grades to go to Loughborough anyway - if you wouldn't be that bothered then consider putting Reading down but if you'd be gutted maybe hedge your bets and put down Loughborough.
MrIceKool
Rep:
?
to be honest i really wouldn't mind either loughborough or reading
they're both good unis though at loughborough i've got loads of family which could get a bit annoying but the actual degree of Bsc Business Economics and Finance sounds a bit better than BA Business Economics at Reading

though i've got the chance to avoid all this and get into my first choice so i'm gonna work my best to get the grades i need

so which uni's are you considering then?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (475)
59.45%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.38%
No- I want it (228)
28.54%
No- I don't want it (53)
6.63%

Watched Threads