The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A third for sure. It's still an honours degree. How is that not a good thing to have on your CV? :s-smilie:

Fair enough, you won't get into any competitive grad schemes or med schools, but you can still get onto some masters degrees/PGCEs with it. And it doesn't look like it's done Carol Vorderman any harm :p:
Reply 2
lol

3rd class degree.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Why!
This is speaking quite generally, but give me your best answers.

a 3rd is better.
look at dimbleby and nick griffin. they all got 3rds
Reply 4
Original post by CoontBrainSpine
a 3rd is better.
look at dimbleby and nick griffin. they all got 3rds

I think Griffin got a 2:2. :smile:
My Dad got a third but he went to uni about thirty years ago. He's got a senior position in a bank and has paid off his mortgage. However in this economic climate a third is not good, there's more graduates than ever and unless you have a tonne of work experience it's going to be difficult getting a worthwhile job.

Also,It's subjective as to what degree it is and where it's from. Arguably, a third from Oxford is better than a third from London Met.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
OK, it's just that I usually hear a 3rd is a terrible degree to have.
Reply 7
If you want a half decent job which, let's face it, is probably the main reason people go to university, graduating with a 3rd would be an epic waste of 3 years...
Original post by Democracy
A third for sure. It's still an honours degree. How is that not a good thing to have on your CV? :s-smilie:

Fair enough, you won't get into any competitive grad schemes or med schools, but you can still get onto some masters degrees/PGCEs with it. And it doesn't look like it's done Carol Vorderman any harm :p:

Ooooo. harsh :tongue: but then again she did graduate from Cambridge uni, so kinda makes it "ok" lol.....
Reply 9
A third would be better to have but it would probably be a waste of time if you got one.

I certainly wouldn't be happy with one.
I'd rather pee my pants in the presence of Casillas and Piqué than get a third. :blush:
Reply 11
hey man

be happy u graduated with a 3rd:smile:

having nothing is ofcourse worse:frown:

on the other hand with a 3rd, its tough, very tough, really have to know what u wana do next, plan it out, i know som1 got no where!!

however theres a whole load of options out there as to wat to do then,

ever wondered working for yourself??? the moneys there man:wink:
Reply 12
Original post by Why!
This is speaking quite generally, but give me your best answers.

With most graduate schemes and, to a large extent, postgraduate study then you'll be effectively "screwed". Postgrad less so, especially if the student had mitigating circumstances and also depending on the course, but it will be difficult and the chances of funding in the arts particularly will be rather tough to say the least!

Depends on how much personal value you place on having a degree and letters after your name. Also depends on how you value your "university experience" and what you have gained from it.

Personally I'd still prefer the third (providing I got it in three years - which hasn't been the case for my undergrad degree :redface: but at least I should get a strong 2:1 ). I've developed new interests at university and it has improved my confidence more than I think being a work environment would've done. Also been able to take advantage of volunteering opportunities and work experience placements directly related to future career plans. If I'd got a third by just pissing the year away then, sure, it would be a waste.

If I actually had a firm career plan in mind pre-university with the possibility of entering it with A-levels only then there would perhaps be some regrets.
Reply 13
A 3rd, definitely.
I personally would rather have no degree at all. If you have a 3rd on your CV it just marks you out as someone who did a degree but wasn't up to standard. If you have a 3rd you haven't really grasped your subject, its easy to get a 3rd on any module just by having a basic understanding of the odd topic here and there without grasping your whole subject.

I know there will be examples of people in our parents generation who got a 3rd and have done OK for themselves....its a different world now, everybody has a 2:1 these days so even with a 2:2 you are up against it. It's not to say you are doomed to be a failure if you have a 3rd, but you won't get a 'graduate' type career.
Reply 15
Loads of people go to Oxford and come out with 2.2s, and still become reasonably successful (Tony Blair, Boris Johnson, Imran Khan, Vorderman).

So a third can't be all that disastrous.
I suppose it depends on what the 'no degree' scenario entails - if it's three years where instead of going to uni and arsing about, you found a job with promotional prospects and worked really hard, then surely that's worth more than a third in media studies? I'm just thinking of industries like hospitality and retail, where a degree (especially in an irrelevant subject) doesn't generally mean as much as a few years of hard graft.

But as others have said, depends on the course/uni as well.
Reply 17
Original post by Marie-Claire
I suppose it depends on what the 'no degree' scenario entails - if it's three years where instead of going to uni and arsing about, you found a job with promotional prospects and worked really hard, then surely that's worth more than a third in media studies? I'm just thinking of industries like hospitality and retail, where a degree (especially in an irrelevant subject) doesn't generally mean as much as a few years of hard graft.

But as others have said, depends on the course/uni as well.

Yes, I agree
Reply 18
Original post by Why!
OK, it's just that I usually hear a 3rd is a terrible degree to have.

These days it's not as good due to the amount of graudates...
Reply 19
Be happy with what ever degree u come out with believe me....last year I came out with a third in chemical engineering and I thought it was the end of the world. ...btw reading such negative comments on forums like this didn't help at all. Please to whoever may read this believe me when I say IT IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD.....I applied for a masters to Coventry uni which isnt the best of universities but still is a university in its own rights...yesterday I graduated as a master of science and I now have sooo many more career route options and possibilities open to me I just feel blessed and happy...my advice to anyone who may read this is to try and forge ahead in anyway you can!!!! dnt redo any years of ur undergrad unless you have no choice and it come down to that. Remeber DONT give up and dont be discouraged! There is still hope and alot of choices and options for you. I wish someone had told me this last year lol. Hope this helps someone out x

Latest