The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Original post by TheOtherGirl
Just asking like what kinda work would I be doing? Do you think I should be dressed a certain way? Is it difficult obtaining work experience at magistrates court? I study criminal Justice so I guess thats an advantage no? Thanks.

Hello,

I did work experience at my local Magistrates' Court this summer just gone. I just sent a polite email to the court (you will find their specific email address on HMCS website and then find the particular court). It did take a little while for them to get back to me but I was offered a weeks work shadowing.

In terms of what you will be doing, you will mainly be shadowing someone in the court. Most likely this will be a member of the legal term (those who advise the Magistrates on the law etc.) You will also get the chance to look at a lot of the cases. You should aim to see a trial as they are quite rare in the Magistrates' Court and it will help with your studies (understanding the practical side of the law and how to apply what you know).

When I worked shadowed I just wore some smart trousers and a blouse. Unless they specify that you need to wear a suit, just looking smart should be fine. I would check this though if you are in doubt!

Hope this helps! :biggrin:
Original post by toridunford
Hello,

I did work experience at my local Magistrates' Court this summer just gone. I just sent a polite email to the court (you will find their specific email address on HMCS website and then find the particular court). It did take a little while for them to get back to me but I was offered a weeks work shadowing.

In terms of what you will be doing, you will mainly be shadowing someone in the court. Most likely this will be a member of the legal term (those who advise the Magistrates on the law etc.) You will also get the chance to look at a lot of the cases. You should aim to see a trial as they are quite rare in the Magistrates' Court and it will help with your studies (understanding the practical side of the law and how to apply what you know).

When I worked shadowed I just wore some smart trousers and a blouse. Unless they specify that you need to wear a suit, just looking smart should be fine. I would check this though if you are in doubt!

Hope this helps! :biggrin:

Hi there! ten years later I am hoping to do the same thing. Do you think it would be the same system - can I just email them?
Hey! I am 17, do you know if they have an age limit for those who want to shadow at Magistrate's Court?
Original post by esu00pheobe
Hi there! ten years later I am hoping to do the same thing. Do you think it would be the same system - can I just email them?

Original post by marija_.x
Hey! I am 17, do you know if they have an age limit for those who want to shadow at Magistrate's Court?

This thread is over 10 years old. Please don't bump old threads - make a new one.