Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schajin)
    Hello again,

I now have a practical question about accomodation.
    How often do you move?
    Do you get reassigned every year or do you stay in the same accomodation for the whole time?
    I just think its really hard to decide, so I'd like to try a few different ones

Do many students chose to find their own places to live, or do most use the Universities accomodation?

cheers
    Not sure what you mean here? University accommodation rented is from September to May only, you can re-apply in following years but there is no guarantee (though it is actually pretty likely) you will be accepted again or if you are accepted you will get the same room or flat/house, so in that respect you may have move. If you are on about moving arround halls every year then chances are you wont be able to, most halls are very much in demand and returning students are only usually given rooms if they have lived in the hall before and play an active roll, exceptions being DRA, Fife Park, Albany Park (those being where most returning students going back to university accommodation go) and to a lesser extent Andrew Melville Hall and New hall (the biggest traditional halls)

As for private accommodation it is up to the individual land lords. You sign a lease for anywhere from a few months to a few years and at the end of your lease it is up to the land lord if they decide to give you another one. Usually if your a good tenant and the house / flat would be going back on the market anyway they will allow you to sign another lease to stay where you are, but it is very much up to them and up to you if you would want to stay there, there are no laws forcing them or you to sign another lease.

And on your last question apparently around 50% of the students here are in university accommodation, most of which are first years. Many people do choose to go privately, but as the university has so many places many people go into university accommodation just to make life simple (no bills, no dodgy land lords / flats ect)

ReputationRep:
    I have a question about accommodation procedures...

I received an unconditional and got the offer packet in the mail a week ago. Am I supposed to send in the accommodation application form as soon as possible or do I not do that until I decide for sure that St. Andrews is the school I am going to go to?

I'm not sure how these things work in the UK so any help would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apple321)
    I have a question about accommodation procedures...

I received an unconditional and got the offer packet in the mail a week ago. Am I supposed to send in the accommodation application form as soon as possible or do I not do that until I decide for sure that St. Andrews is the school I am going to go to?

I'm not sure how these things work in the UK so any help would be appreciated!
    As long as you apply before the deadline you are guaranteed accommodation, but if you want to fill it in now and send it off you will obviously hear back quicker than everyone else and are under no obligation to take up any offers UNLESS you sign the contract you are offered, which Im pretty sure wont even be offered until you are unconditional firm anyway (though I could be wrong).

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have an idea of the number of American undergraduates who come to St. Andrews each year?

ReputationRep:
    lots.

ReputationRep:
    Above like 100? Or am I thinking too big?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apple321)
    Above like 100? Or am I thinking too big?
    easily, probably more like 200-300.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone answer my question? Ive already mentally settled myself into St Andrews, even though its absolutely ages until I start! Its about University Challenge - how do you get selected for the team? I presume its only 3rd/4th years who get selected. I want to beat all the crap out of Oxford teams! lol bitter. me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by economist_robinson)
    Can someone answer my question? Ive already mentally settled myself into St Andrews, even though its absolutely ages until I start! Its about University Challenge - how do you get selected for the team? I presume its only 3rd/4th years who get selected. I want to beat all the crap out of Oxford teams! lol bitter. me?
    Last time EVERYONE got an email inviting them to take a test in the union to be considered for the team, I assume from there students are whittled down to the 4 with the best chance of winning. There are no specific requirements as far as I am aware, anyone from 1st year to post doc can be on the team if they are good enough.

ReputationRep:
    I know this has probably been asked before but when a tread is 104 pages long it becomes harder to trawl through them. I am keen to self cater and want to know your opinions on whether this is a good idea and where is best to go. I don't really want to be so far away from the science builings since i'm hoping to study physics.
    thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    you can self cater at New hall - about 3 minutes away from physics. It's where i stay (although i'm catered) but my friend who is also doing physics is self catered. The diners are fairly large, and not shared between too many people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeeeevo)
    Last time EVERYONE got an email inviting them to take a test in the union to be considered for the team, I assume from there students are whittled down to the 4 with the best chance of winning. There are no specific requirements as far as I am aware, anyone from 1st year to post doc can be on the team if they are good enough.
    Hmm. Either my memory's so bad I've forgotten getting this email, or they know I'm too thick to bother asking, and didn't send me the email.
    When did they send it? *wants to check Webmail and see if it's still there*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
    Hmm. Either my memory's so bad I've forgotten getting this email, or they know I'm too thick to bother asking, and didn't send me the email.
    When did they send it? *wants to check Webmail and see if it's still there*
    It was in one of the Wednesday memos, not a specific email, but I remember reading it because I briefly thought about trying for it....... before I realised Im too thick

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I have another question :P again about accommodation! I got my little St Andrews pack and it says that there are only 2 terms and you only pay for accommodation during this time - what do you do during the holidays - do you HAVE to go home?

ReputationRep:
    oh heavens, I have a question, though no one seems to be answering...I am not loosing my faith in you people. Yet. Could someone please tell if it is worth going to study chemistry at St andrews, aand that stuff.

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    tidbits, I can't answer your question, I don't do Chemistry.

Re the accommodation question though, I think it depends which hall you're in. You can definitely stay over the holidays if you're in DRA (obviously you can't stay over summer, you have to go home then ), but I'm not so sure about the older halls. For some reason I seem to remember a friend from Regs telling me they had to go home for the holidays, but that could be a load of old %%%%%%%%%%%%%%s to be honest!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by economist_robinson)
    Sorry I have another question :P again about accommodation! I got my little St Andrews pack and it says that there are only 2 terms and you only pay for accommodation during this time - what do you do during the holidays - do you HAVE to go home?
    I'm in AM and we had to go home over Christmas holidays.. but we were allowed to leave all our stuff in our room.
    Reading week hall was open and meals were provided.

I'm not sure about Easter but I imagine it's the same as Christmas in that you have to go home.

ReputationRep:
    tidbits, I don't really have a proper answer to your question either. Steeeeevo should be able to make relevant, intellectual comments though [Edit: I don't remember him doing that already... If he has, I missed it]. *delegates* :p:

I got kicked out of University Hall over Christmas and Easter last year. One of my friends has spent Christmas in New Hall, so they don't kick the self-catering people out for Christmas there. Either that, or she'll have had a pretty rotten Christmas.
    I could have stayed in FP for Christmas this year, but... yeah. The appeal of that was minimal.

ReputationRep:
    Ninja so are you a 2nd year staying in uni accomm? How easy is it to get a place? Did you apply as an individual or as a group?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah.
    We applied as a group of 4 - although I only knew one of them properly - but I met one of the others, and he seemed nice, and by incuction, anyone he went to school with must also be nice. Thankfully, it's going well.
    I don't know how easy it is in general to get back into uni accommodation - I'm going to reapply this coming year, but am trying to find somewhere in town. I knew a good few people last year who couldn't get a place in uni hall, so had to do spontaneous people-and-flat-hunting.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.