Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredscarecrow)
    I have no idea really, but I would suggest giving the admissions office a ring. It can't hurt. Did you recieve any kind of acknowledgement?
    EDIT: Also, I've not recieved any kind of fee forms..you're making me panic. Are we supposed to have?
    I just heard people on tsr/nmm talking about fee forms they were sent (including people who applied to st andrews) and they all seem to have had or have been asked to interviews. I dont really understand why some people get them and other people dont. I dont know whether to contact unis as i dont want to seem annoying:rolleyes: - but i think if i haven't heard by the end of january i'll definitely email them. thb if i've been rejected i'd rather know about it now and get on with my life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Balth)
    Is it possible to "change" your degree? I mean, if I were to take loads of maths modules, could I then graduate with a "BSc Financial Economics & Mathematics"?

Sorry if it's a stupid question, it's just that it would be really awesome.

(All given that I get an offer in the first place, which I doubt)
    Yes, as long as you take the required maths modules you can change your degree to incorporate maths. You dont have to decide until the end of the second year though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mousy)
    Yes, as long as you take the required maths modules you can change your degree to incorporate maths. You dont have to decide until the end of the second year though.
    Awesome! :eek: Now I really want to go to St. Andrews!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Newt)
    I just heard people on tsr/nmm talking about fee forms they were sent (including people who applied to st andrews) and they all seem to have had or have been asked to interviews. I dont really understand why some people get them and other people dont. I dont know whether to contact unis as i dont want to seem annoying:rolleyes: - but i think if i haven't heard by the end of january i'll definitely email them. thb if i've been rejected i'd rather know about it now and get on with my life!
    Ah right, that makes sense. You just made me panic that I'd forgotten to reply to an email or something..that'd be just like me, losing a possible place at my favourite uni for being scatterbrained.
    Good luck, I hope you hear from them soon - as you say, one way or the other. But good luck for an offer.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me! - I am so scared!

I have been given an offer of AAB for Psychology at St A, but what if i miss my business grade, in my past modules i have got a high C, and 2 Bs. Infact my AS was only 1 UMS mark off a B. My A2 Cwk i am sure is great, a good A, but my teachers for my accounts modules were swiched (4 teachers over one term) and so i am worried i will mess it up. i am worrying more about them not letting me in with a C in business than i was about them making me an offer!!!! are there any current students, or prospective studens who have any thoughts on this? I am applying for Psychology (Sci) and they want AAB (my psych and maths are going to be As it is just the Business i am worried about). Do any current students (especialy psych students) know how lenient they are?

HELP!!!

the_scared_aspie

ReputationRep:
    Are there a noticeable amount of English students at St A? Are there (what would seem relatively as) a lot or few?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naomeh?)
    Are there a noticeable amount of English students at St A? Are there (what would seem relatively as) a lot or few?
    The majority of the students here are... perhaps unfortunately (in the sense that this IS a Scottish uni [and yes I know I am being hypocritical!]) English. There are probably more international students here than Scottish, though there is still a noticeable Scottish presence, just not as big a one as you would expect.

ReputationRep:
    It's alright though. You can here us scottish way before you see us, so in a sense we're always about. The general destruction and drinking is also our way of saying "we're hiding in the bushed, pass if you dare"

Ha. Strangely, in my group of 16 friends, the majority of us are scottish.

ReputationRep:
    Now this may seem as a silly question but I honestly don't know how does it work. By it I mean catered accomodation. If someone could explain to me how does it work. I mean I don't suppose the food is included in the accomodation fee, am I right? and if it is not, how do you pay for the food? Thanks in advance, I am just a tad bit confused, is all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tidbits)
    Now this may seem as a silly question but I honestly don't know how does it work. By it I mean catered accomodation. If someone could explain to me how does it work. I mean I don't suppose the food is included in the accomodation fee, am I right? and if it is not, how do you pay for the food? Thanks in advance, I am just a tad bit confused, is all
    If you're in catered halls you get all your meals (except weekend evening meals) included in accomodation costs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mousy)
    If you're in catered halls you get all your meals (except weekend evening meals) included in accomodation costs.
    thanks, all crystal clear now

sounds great

ReputationRep:
    Can you buy meals on and off or do you have to get either all of them or nothing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bearbear)
    Can you buy meals on and off or do you have to get either all of them or nothing?
    Only New hall offer both catered and self-catered accommodation though self-catered accommodation at New Hall is being phased out (in favour of the larger DRA). At New Hall apparently you can buy a meal if you are self-catered and I think some (all?) other catered halls will also allow guests to buy meals (depending on demand), but as I have never had a meal in a catered accommodation I have no idea of the price.

DRA, the largest self-catered hall has a bistro where individual meals can be bought or meal cards of different values can be bought if you want the occasional meal and this serves both DRA and Fife park. Albany park the final remaining self-catered accommodation is best catered by the town centre.

As a final note just to emphasise, apart for New Hall, all halls are either catered only or self-catered only, so in that respect is it kind of 'all or nothing' unless you are one of the few self-catered New Hall residents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeeeevo)
    but as I have never had a meal in a catered accommodation I have no idea of the price.
    About £6 for a three course meal. That's not too bad - as it includes (i think) scrummy apple juice!

Hoorah! One of my friends is self catered but joined us with the large meals, such as christmas and halloween.

ReputationRep:
    How are they about people coming to stop for a night or two? [[assuming i get a place and come]]..i have a really good friend who i stop with in Cambridge for a night or two in my school holidays. When i go to university we're intending for her to come to me (since her terms are so much shorter). So are people allowed to stop in rooms for a short amount of time?

ReputationRep:
    Of course, you need to have a friend in the hall in order to drop in at their meals. The uni hall one was more like £7 last year, which I don't think is fantastic - although it does depend on the menu, really.

In the development of the FP/DRA area, they discussed the idea of people purshasing meal credits, which can be used at any of the catered halls in town. This is by no means in action yet, and might not happen, but they might do that. It wouldn't be for a few years yet, though.

ReputationRep:
    Man, I need to get faster at typing my replies :rolleyes:

My flatmates in FP this year had a friend stay for almost a week, and it was no bother. In catered halls, though, you have to sign them in, request a bed X days in advance, else they fine you, and they have to buy all their meals. You're also responsible for all the terrible, horrendous and damaging things your friend will undoubtably do...
    So, that's a 'yes', with a kind of 'but...' attached in reference to catered halls.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou That's pretty much the same arrangement as in Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
    Man, I need to get faster at typing my replies :rolleyes:

My flatmates in FP this year had a friend stay for almost a week, and it was no bother. In catered halls, though, you have to sign them in, request a bed X days in advance, else they fine you, and they have to buy all their meals. You're also responsible for all the terrible, horrendous and damaging things your friend will undoubtably do...
    So, that's a 'yes', with a kind of 'but...' attached in reference to catered halls.
    Really!? all that hassle!? Im so glad I live self catered then, where people can drop by last minute and sleep on the kitchen floor! ha ha

ReputationRep:
    I never had anyone stay last year because the idea seemed like so much hassle, and finding the floor space would have been challenging. If I said I hadn't had anyone stay this year either, would that make me sound a bit sad?...
    I'd say it's much easier to have people over generally if you're self-catered. Also easier if you're in a single room.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.