Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurz)
    To any current students from London.......can you please tell me how you travel to St. Andrew's and what the cheapest way is?
    my flatmate who's from london usually takes the train because if you book in advance (not even by that much) you can get it really cheap. by cheap I mean like the return tickets she got for the after exam period which cost her around £45.

oh yay this is post #2222!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knudsen)
    my flatmate who's from london usually takes the train because if you book in advance (not even by that much) you can get it really cheap. by cheap I mean like the return tickets she got for the after exam period which cost her around £45.

Hehe, that's possible?! :eek: I bet that's a long journey though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knudsen)

That's awesome. My best mate is going to Kings, so if I get in...it's nice to know travel is possible:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    When I went to the open day I got a coach to Edinburgh and the train - a grand total of £30.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarshallM)
    Hehe, that's possible?! :eek: I bet that's a long journey though!
    She's actually going back over easter now and her return ticket (still train) went for £30, and she said it takes about 5½ h. I honestly don't think that's too bad considering it takes me almost 3 h just to get from StA to Glasgow.. Also, it's so much less fuss than flying, cause you'd still have to take the train from Edinburgh to Leuchars and then a bus to StA..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naomeh is a tiger.)
    When I went to the open day I got a coach to Edinburgh and the train - a grand total of £30.
    How long did that journey take you?? You must have stayed overnight, I'd guess? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Seriously train is the best way - going by plane takes a tad longer... going by coach takes an eternity and isn't even that much cheaper.. - I can be at my doorstep in less than 6 hours from getting on the train at Leuchars. I just bought my tickets and return it cost me 54 quid so it's not too bad at all - if you buy earlier it's even cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone tell me what St Regulus Hall is like? I know you can't apply to specific halls but was just wonderig because there isn't any guide to it on the Student Wiki? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know somebody who wants a flatmate?
    I am now desparate...
    I just can't afford a flat on my own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
    I'm not sure what the best plan of attack is, but I'd try these things as soon as possible:

(1) Get in contect with the university accommodation people and ask if you can put your name down for any vacancies arising in halls. People will have applied as a back-up option for if they can't find a flat in town, and they won't all be needing the places they've been offered. I don't know how likely it is they'll come up with a place for you, but if you don't ask, you won't get anywhere.

(2) There will be people who've applied to halls and haven't got in - ask around, and see if you can find a group of people you can join. Some of my flatmates are in this situation. Post something on Facebook saying you're looking for people, that works quite well in my experience.

(3) Get house lists now, start finding places, and while you're doing that, try to get a group organised. There's no point on focussing on sorting a group if you don't have any houses to look at after that.

I hope that helps. I can PM you some sites of properties if you want. Let me know.
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yeung3939)
    Does anyone know somebody who wants a flatmate?
    I am now desparate...
    I just can't afford a flat on my own.

Don't mean to be mean or anything, but I am still very much in shock - how on earth did you not even know about the deadline?:eek:

ReputationRep:
    I just didn't expect I had to apply this early........
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Have you spoken to accommodation services? Some of the women in there are right *****es, but some of them are quite nice, they managed to sort my flatmate out at the beginning of this year when she had nowhere to live (because she'd cocked up the application process last year)

ReputationRep:
    How easy is it to take a module in IR if it's not related to your degree? I've been looking around the website and IR sounds the most interesting other subject around... is it really over subscribed and hard to get into?

ReputationRep:
    Probably one of the most popular modules. From what I've heard it's not that easy to get into as it is heavily oversubscribed.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I don't know of anyone who asked to do IR as an extra module and got turned down, many of my friends are studying it even though its not directly related to their degrees, so you'd probably be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I was told on the open day that you need the grades from a level required to get into the course in the first place, i.e. AAA.

ReputationRep:
    hey!
    just a question really about modules and what not.
    i have been given a conditional offer for maths (BSc) but i also got an unsuccessful for my first choice maths with french (BSc)
    just wondering if you can take a language as a module in the BSc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angel.of.music)
    hey!
    just a question really about modules and what not.
    i have been given a conditional offer for maths (BSc) but i also got an unsuccessful for my first choice maths with french (BSc)
    just wondering if you can take a language as a module in the BSc

as far as I know you will be allowed to take one Arts module if you want, but no more.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You can take French for science - which is what you would have taken if you'd got an offer for Maths w/French BSc anyway.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.