Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Long Jo(h)n Silver, yarrr)
    most of that you can find in the prospectus. my friend has applied for joint honours english and history - offer is AAB with As in english and history.

i'm not a current student so can't answer the others really.
    ohh ok thanks ^^

ReputationRep:
    1. Depends on where you come from. If you're scottish, they look for at least 4 highers which are mostly A's with a B or two. The prospectus will probably have more detail for specific subjects.

4. You meet people in all kinds of ways - obviously through lectures, through other people you've met, people who you eat with in hall... there are squillions of events organised by societies. The Christian Union ones are very sociable, I know a lot of people through those.

5. Prices for rooms. See the ultimate accommodation thread if you want to find out more.

6. Sharing bathrooms is ok. I share with 5 other people at the moment and I've only had to stand about waiting once or twice, and I tend to shower at obscure times so there's hot water. In Uni hall last year, I did the same thing and it was alright. I missed having a 'proper' bathroom, and being able to leave stuff in it. [Edit: although I don't leave stuff in our bathroom now anyway...]

7. You might not have a sink in your room, and they would eat you if you had a kettle and they found it. There are kettles in kitchens and stuff, so it's not too much hassle to get some tea.

8. Ooh, goodness. Give me some time to think about that, I'll need to narrow it down =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
    1. Depends on where you come from. If you're scottish, they look for at least 4 highers which are mostly A's with a B or two. The prospectus will probably have more detail for specific subjects.

4. You meet people in all kinds of ways - obviously through lectures, through other people you've met, people who you eat with in hall... there are squillions of events organised by societies. The Christian Union ones are very sociable, I know a lot of people through those.

5. Prices for rooms. See the ultimate accommodation thread if you want to find out more.

6. Sharing bathrooms is ok. I share with 5 other people at the moment and I've only had to stand about waiting once or twice, and I tend to shower at obscure times so there's hot water. In Uni hall last year, I did the same thing and it was alright. I missed having a 'proper' bathroom, and being able to leave stuff in it. [Edit: although I don't leave stuff in our bathroom now anyway...]

7. You might not have a sink in your room, and they would eat you if you had a kettle and they found it. There are kettles in kitchens and stuff, so it's not too much hassle to get some tea.

8. Ooh, goodness. Give me some time to think about that, I'll need to narrow it down =)

thanks so much
    a few points- seriously are you not allowed a kettle :O omg
    - so the shared bathrooms are enclosed (it may sound stupid but i thought they were like the sorts in swimming pools DOH)
    - the christian society sounds fun ^^
    - im going to have to stick in with college and get the best grades i can

ReputationRep:
    This may sound like a weird question, but how old are the students at St Andrews? XD
    What's the age of most people going into first year? I will have only just turned 18 when I go. Am I crazy, or does England have a year of Secondary school when you are 18, if you get what I mean?

ReputationRep:
    Nah, no kettles. You'd have to run about to fill it up, and they're fairly strict with electric things - my flatmate has a surprise room inspection the other day and they confiscated his plug-in air freshener xD
    However, I can kind of see why they're strict. It's harder to draw fuzzy lines and regulate it if you do.

The bathrooms depend on the hall. In Fife park, you've got a shower, toilet and sink downstairs, all in a proper bathroom-type-thing, plus a toilet and sink upstairs. The ones in catered halls tend to be less bathroomy, but you have your privacy, even if you're in a room with a bath and nothing else. You're more liekly to have things in cubicles in catered halls, I reckon.

The CU is good - I'm heading off to that in a minute... eep, running late =/

ReputationRep:
    Nah, no kettles. You'd have to run about to fill it up, and they're fairly strict with electric things - my flatmate has a surprise room inspection the other day and they confiscated his plug-in air freshener xD
    However, I can kind of see why they're strict. It's harder to draw fuzzy lines and regulate it if you do.

The bathrooms depend on the hall. In Fife park, you've got a shower, toilet and sink downstairs, all in a proper bathroom-type-thing, plus a toilet and sink upstairs. The ones in catered halls tend to be less bathroomy, but you have your privacy, even if you're in a room with a bath and nothing else. You're more liekly to have things in cubicles in catered halls, I reckon.

The CU is good - I'm heading off to that in a minute... eep, running late =/
    plug in air freshener lmao

but all in all the place sounds good
    have a good time at the CU
    if you dont mind can ya tell me what ist like when ye get bk?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bearbear)
    This may sound like a weird question, but how old are the students at St Andrews? XD
    What's the age of most people going into first year? I will have only just turned 18 when I go. Am I crazy, or does England have a year of Secondary school when you are 18, if you get what I mean?
    Don't worry I had friends who hadn't turned 18 yet so you won't be young if that's what you were worried about. English students seem to sometimes be older yet sometimes not, don't quite understand. I know a girl who left at the end of her 5th year at school and so was only 16 when she came!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragon500uk)
    Yes. You plug it into your laptop - plug the other end into th wall. Register with ResTel (the page comes up), wait for a bit - and off you go. Full internet access.

There's people to help you if you get stuck.
    Good to hear! Thanks! I just don't know if I'd need any modem jobbies or extra wires or internet usb things! :p:

(Original post by TheNorth)
    Im doing comp sci, I'll help ya chester lol :P
    Yay! Thanks! And if you need a hand with....err...philosophy...don't hesitate to ask!!

(Original post by fredscarecrow)
    Just hope you're rooming with a comp sci
    That would be perfect!! I would probably do their head in though! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alison89)
    English students seem to sometimes be older yet sometimes not, don't quite understand.
    Either do I! Can anybody give us Scots some kind of answer? :p:
    Thanks for all the help, everybody.

ReputationRep:
    When I go to university - in sep/oct of this year I'll be almost turning 19 (B'day:10th November). I will have come straight out of school.
    We do GCSEs (yr 11) in the year we turn 16, AS in the year we turn 17, and A2 in the year we turn 18. So generally (aside from gap years, if you're a year ahead in school etc etc) you'll be turning 19 in you first year of uni. For English students, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chester_2005)
    Good to hear! Thanks! I just don't know if I'd need any modem jobbies or extra wires or internet usb things! :p:

Yay! Thanks! And if you need a hand with....err...philosophy...don't hesitate to ask!!

That would be perfect!! I would probably do their head in though! :rolleyes:
    Don't worry Chester I'll have philosophical discussions with you! Like you I am also pretty useless when it comes to technology!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Highlander)
    Don't worry Chester I'll have philosophical discussions with you! Like you I am also pretty useless when it comes to technology!
    I have the best of both worlds, Technically and Philosophically minded

ReputationRep:
    I think part of the difference in ages between Scottish and English students is due to the birth date that they use as a cut-off point for what year you're in. I think the Scottish system cuts off between February and March, whereas my flatmate informs me that the English system has the cut-off point between August and September.

diorbaby1687, I'm afraid I did a very silly thing last night and didn't check the CU announcments - I turned up at the Town Hall and it was all closed and everything, because everyone was at an event in the Holy Trinity church. I was running on the late side as well, so I didn't see people going in there :cool: oops. Anyway, I can tell you more about a typical CU meeting if that'd be of interest to you? We generally meet once a week at 7.30pm on a Friday, and they have praise, announcements of opportunities either in term-time, or bigger things over the summer... there's usually a different speaker each week, and they're usually very worth having a listen to. Sometimes they split us off to do stuff, sometimes they have more things going up at the front, it varies. they also have juice and biscuits at the end, and I think they have a book stall going on sometimes, but I'm not sure.
    You might also be interested in the Link Groups they've got going on in halls - these meet once a week on a different night, and focus more on getting to know a smaller group of people, and discussing the bible more than listening to someone else talking about it. I went to the Uni Hall one last year, which was really good, and I go to the DRA/FP one now, which is also really good.
    :rolleyes: *waffles*

ReputationRep:
    I think part of the difference in ages between Scottish and English students is due to the birth date that they use as a cut-off point for what year you're in. I think the Scottish system cuts off between February and March, whereas my flatmate informs me that the English system has the cut-off point between August and September.

diorbaby1687, I'm afraid I did a very silly thing last night and didn't check the CU announcments - I turned up at the Town Hall and it was all closed and everything, because everyone was at an event in the Holy Trinity church. I was running on the late side as well, so I didn't see people going in there :cool: oops. Anyway, I can tell you more about a typical CU meeting if that'd be of interest to you? We generally meet once a week at 7.30pm on a Friday, and they have praise, announcements of opportunities either in term-time, or bigger things over the summer... there's usually a different speaker each week, and they're usually very worth having a listen to. Sometimes they split us off to do stuff, sometimes they have more things going up at the front, it varies. they also have juice and biscuits at the end, and I think they have a book stall going on sometimes, but I'm not sure.
    You might also be interested in the Link Groups they've got going on in halls - these meet once a week on a different night, and focus more on getting to know a smaller group of people, and discussing the bible more than listening to someone else talking about it. I went to the Uni Hall one last year, which was really good, and I go to the DRA/FP one now, which is also really good.
    i'm really interested to hear about this...is it fairly easy to just kind of go along? is there stuff in freshers week about it etc?

ReputationRep:

ouch hard luck did you just go home then?

anyways it does sounds fun im just hoping i get in there
    sigh
    my parents also said that there was no way i could go to uni in scotland as i have to take my stuff back and forth in term times
    :/ but i guess ill cross that bridge when i get to it
    i live in southen essex so yeah that would be a problem
    im thinking of york though too soo :/ :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diorbaby1687)

sigh
    my parents also said that there was no way i could go to uni in scotland as i have to take my stuff back and forth in term times
    i live in brighton, so even further south. it's not going to be a huge problem moving stuff there and back - it's not like you're planning on taking a double bed is it? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredscarecrow)
    We do GCSEs (yr 11) in the year we turn 16, AS in the year we turn 17, and A2 in the year we turn 18. So generally (aside from gap years, if you're a year ahead in school etc etc) you'll be turning 19 in you first year of uni. For English students, anyway.
    Weird... I still won't be 19 until the 2nd year of uni, but your figures seem to match ours and I can't figure out what's different.

ReputationRep:
    Weird... I still won't be 19 until the 2nd year of uni, but your figures seem to match ours and I can't figure out what's different.
    I'll be turning 20 in January, so there you go lots of diversity age-wise...

Does anyone know wether I can apply for accommodation without accepting my offer? I haven't decided on where I'm going yet, but I want to get my application in a soon as possible, so I don't end up somewhere I don't want to live...

cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schajin)
    I'll be turning 20 in January, so there you go lots of diversity age-wise...

Does anyone know wether I can apply for accommodation without accepting my offer? I haven't decided on where I'm going yet, but I want to get my application in a soon as possible, so I don't end up somewhere I don't want to live...

cheers
    Yeah they say you can apply for accommodation as soon as you recieve your offer. If you decide to decline your offer then your accommodation application will be discarded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diorbaby1687)

sigh

You know you can leave all your stuff in halls during term times so you'd only have to be taking a suitcase with clothes when going home for christmas and spring break, which shouldn't be hard. You'd only have to bring all your stuff up at the beginning of the year and then take it back at the end of the year.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.