Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Long Jo(h)n Silver, yarrr)
    prostitution.
    WRONG!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la_banane_verte)
    Yep, the University pimps your body out and takes a 70% cut of your earnings.

Or they get you to clean rooms or work in the kitchens of the residences that they open as 'hotels'. You can also get work at any of the myriad of hotels over the summer usually.

There are quite a few of the private accommodation leases that run for a full year, so if you plan ahead you could get a flat in your second year that has a lease that runs over the summer.
    Ah, hotel jobs=genius, but hard work (I know from experience!). Thanks for the info, I thought about trying to get a year long lease but I'm scared all the landlords well either shorten their contracts that year or massively increase the prices because of the British Open, don't want to lose out to all the rich Americans that'll be coming over... :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wasps26)
    WRONG!
    how was it wrong? it was supported by the post directly following it. just because it isn't quite your idea of making a living.

shame on you.

ReputationRep:
    how was it wrong? it was supported by the post directly following it. just because it isn't quite your idea of making a living.

shame on you.
    Hey I never said no....

^now thats wrong!

ReputationRep:
    never ever no.

wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone verify these thoughts to be correct .

Is it correct that if I decided to merely attend St. Andrews for one year, I would have to pay a certain fee in return?

I am from an EU country and would therefore have to pay roughly 1,000 pounds, how much would this new fee be?

ReputationRep:
    never ever no.

wrong.
    I know, I'm sorry, crude and disrespectful....:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by essygal1990)
    Could anyone verify these thoughts to be correct .

Is it correct that if I decided to merely attend St. Andrews for one year, I would have to pay a certain fee in return?

I am from an EU country and would therefore have to pay roughly 1,000 pounds, how much would this new fee be?
    Sorry don't understand what you mean?! Are you not attending for the full 4 years? :confused:
    Do you mean tuition fees?

ReputationRep:
    tbh, i don't even know what i'm talking about, i'm just trying to be depressive.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry don't understand what you mean?! Are you not attending for the full 4 years? :confused:
    Do you mean tuition fees?
    Sorry I wasn't being very detailed .

I am considering on reapplying next year in October 2008.

I partially didn't apply to oxbridge because of the pressure, the negative vibe in my school about it. However, I realize that after attending the Oxford Spring Revision Courses that I am quite fond of the university. I also find it a shame to achieve roughly 42 IB points, beyond their requirements, and not to have tried.

So yes I am speaking of tuition fees, and specifically what I would have to pay them for the first year.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I wasn't being very detailed .

I am considering on reapplying next year in October 2008.

I partially didn't apply to oxbridge because of the pressure, the negative vibe in my school about it. However, I realize that after attending the Oxford Spring Revision Courses that I am quite fond of the university. I also find it a shame to achieve roughly 42 IB points, beyond their requirements, and not to have tried.

So yes I am speaking of tuition fees, and specifically what I would have to pay them for the first year.
    Ooo, right I say what you're saying now...but unfortunately I have no idea about answers to your Questions!!
    I'm pretty sure you'll have to pay tuition fees...but are you sure you want to attend first year, just to drop out to go somewhere else, why not take a year out? Avoid any costs that way, and you can apply again to StAs if you're worried about losing your place...the Uni might have a policy or something about reapplying while in attendance...to be fair I have no idea so probably not the best person to say lol! I've just never heard of somebody doing that!

As for Oxbridge go for it! I didn't get in and it almost killed me, but with 42 IB points I'd say you're at the very least in with a shot!!

ReputationRep:
    Ooo, right I say what you're saying now...but unfortunately I have no idea about answers to your Questions!!
    I'm pretty sure you'll have to pay tuition fees...but are you sure you want to attend first year, just to drop out to go somewhere else, why not take a year out? Avoid any costs that way, and you can apply again to StAs if you're worried about losing your place...the Uni might have a policy or something about reapplying while in attendance...to be fair I have no idea so probably not the best person to say lol! I've just never heard of somebody doing that!

As for Oxbridge go for it! I didn't get in and it almost killed me, but with 42 IB points I'd say you're at the very least in with a shot!!
    Well my parents will not allow me to take a gap year.

But thanks anyways

ReputationRep:
    Well my parents will not allow me to take a gap year.

But thanks anyways
    Oh, well, I'd still e-mail the St Andrews guys, as I said they might have a rule about reapplying while enrolled on a course....

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea if the university even runs these but over the summer can the university help organise jobs or volunteering overseas?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    might have a rule about reapplying while enrolled on a course....
    There's no rule against reapplying whilst being a matriculated student at St Andrews - I had a friend who was desperate to do medicine and reapplied for medicine courses (including the St Andrews one) in both first and second year - and eventually got a place at another uni. As an EU student, you'd be charged the Home/EU fees, which are £1,735 per year at the moment. You would definitely have to pay this regardless of the situation, although as a non-British EU student, you might be entitled to a grant from SAAS to pay your tuition fees. Whether they'd make you pay this back or not if you left after one year I couldn't tell you.

I have no idea if the university even runs these but over the summer can the university help organise jobs or volunteering overseas?

Most of the people doing overseas 'volunteering' that I know are doing the kids' camps in America type thing, and as far as I know they organised it themselves. The Careers Centre would probably be happy to help with that sort of thing though.

ReputationRep:
    i cant find the posts, so il just say it here.
    im a current first year at st.andrews doing math philo and economics. this is in regard to those who are confused abt dra, accomodation in general etc as well as those considering economics and confused between warwick and st.andrews
    im in dra this year but moving to a private flat next year. dra is good but quite overpriced although they have a good facilities building (the nisbet room where they have ps2/3 etc and u can watch movies and play games using a projector screen. they do show football games on weekends in the main bar, or whatever else u want to watch, music room is nice. nice piano but **** drum set. nothing else. games room has a pool table and table tennis. all free, but thats abt the only thing u get free at dra. 2.70 for using the laundry room, washer and dryer). i hear its getting even more expensive next year. but its probably the the best self catered option available. with regards to distance from town. the math and physics buildings are abt 7 mins walk. 2 on a bike. town centre takes betwee 15-25 minutes depending on where exactly u wanna go and how fast u walk. andrew milvelle is close to dra and closer to the math/physics building but is ****. new hall is expensive but nice with both a catered and self catered accomodation. keep in mind new hall is a bit older but still nice. from what a friend has told me, john burnett is not so bad. the best catered accomodation is st. sallies and mcintosh, both in town but u have shared rooms in first year. my adivce, wherever u go in ur first year if u prefer self catered, get a private flat next year. its much cheaper and u can find really good value for money stuff. the local estate agents are **** and rip offs. there are some uni managed flats which is where im going and they are relatively cheap, reasonable condition and overall worth it.
    now to academics. specifically for economics-management. i cant comment on management, but the economics dept is a bit mixed. the course i found to be quite easy. my first semester profs were really good. john beath who will be the next sec gen of the royal economics society and marco firavilli. both very good. my second sem profs werent so good. alan sutherland ( a warick phd) is good, knows his stuff but his lectures are boring. the other, an young asian woman, is ****. if ur strictly for economics, i wld say go to warwick or lse. warwick may not be as beautiful as st.andrews although coventry is a nice place, but it wld be much cheaper. thats not to say an economics degree from st.andrews isnt good. frankly any degree from st.andrews is pretty sweet. just that for economics, warwick is quite a fair bit ahead.
    hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    I'll disagree with you there emosen regarding the economics staff.

The staff are generally good in economics. You do get the odd tutor who is a bit off their rocker, but that's true with any econ department (maybe it's just economics in general) :P . You can always speak to another member of the department should you be having problems. This year I went to my first year tutor to ask a few questions since my tutor this year wasn't too great, and she was more than happy to help.

If your talking about Kannika, then she's not too bad, she could improve her english a bit, but her notes are excellent and if you catch her at the end of a class then she's more than happy to explain something else on the board. It's a pity Charles Nolan isn't taking first year macro anymore, he talked a bit about his tenure at the Bank of England last year.

Second year wise, Helmut for Micro is excellent although he's a stickler for time. Fabio Arico and Ozge Senay for Macro are both clear and go through the theories and try to encourage debate in the classrooms.

I won't dispute that Warwick's economics department has a higher reputation than St Andrews but in terms of quality of life your going to have here will be much better. I really didn't want to live in Coventry and just fell in love with the university here when I first visited.

To keep yourself up with the competition from the finance factories you need to be stellar in academics and extracurrics, which can be easily done here. In St Andrews there are so many societies you can get involved in, or take time to set up your own business if you have an idea (with a great deal of support from the SIE).

As for management it's excellent, i've written about it before somewhere in this forum. One thing that has struck me about the St Andrews departments is that they are more willing to get behind student activities such as the respective department society and provide or give ways to getting funding compared to other universities that my friends are at. The careers centre is also good at helping people with their initiatives.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm from the East Midlands but I visited the 30th April open day with my friend (loooong day) and absolutely loved St Andrews and will definitely be applying to it
    Can I ask what grades your offers were, those of you from England who did A Levels? I have a feeling I'm going to mess up my AS Levels somewhat, having missed quite a few days due to glandular fever.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and you know how you can apply for multiple courses at the same university? Can you do that for Scottish courses too, or does the flexibility of the first two years and opportunity to change your degree choice from what you initially applied for mean that it would be pointless applying to two different courses at St Andrews? Sorry if that made little to no sense :P
    I really, REALLY want to go to St Andrews, it's everything I would want in a university, and I'm not sure whether I want to do English and French or English and Psychology as a degree (I realise I could take all three to begin with, but I'd like to try another subject or two, like giving Russian, Arabic, social anthropology or maths a go). So would it be pointless applying to two different courses, what do you think?

EDIT: French WIYA, probably

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bjpchilds)
    Oh, and you know how you can apply for multiple courses at the same university? Can you do that for Scottish courses too, or does the flexibility of the first two years and opportunity to change your degree choice from what you initially applied for mean that it would be pointless applying to two different courses at St Andrews? Sorry if that made little to no sense :P
    I really, REALLY want to go to St Andrews, it's everything I would want in a university, and I'm not sure whether I want to do English and French or English and Psychology as a degree (I realise I could take all three to begin with, but I'd like to try another subject or two, like giving Russian, Arabic, social anthropology or maths a go). So would it be pointless applying to two different courses, what do you think?

EDIT: French WIYA, probably
    I've never understood people that applied separately for two different subjects (using two of your choices on ucas, one for management and one for economics for example). You just apply for one of them and you can then always switch things around. Be careful what Faculty you apply to though. Also its probably smart to apply to the one subject that has the lowest entry requirements (even though most of them are AAB or ABB anyway I think)

As to your question about the degree in English + French/Philosophy you have to take certain prerequisites to continue with a subject the next year. So yeah, don't forget about that...

If any of this is wrong please correct me, wouldn't want to ruin someone's life haha.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.