Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schajin)
    Be careful what Faculty you apply to though. Also its probably smart to apply to the one subject that has the lowest entry requirements (even though most of them are AAB or ABB anyway I think)
    Thank you for your reply
    Yeah, for English with anything it's AAB.
    It's just that I really want to go to St Andrews and don't particularly have a fifth university to apply for (not many places seem to do English and Psychology joint honours, I've found), but I think in this case I'd be better off just applying the once.

ReputationRep:
    Hey there current students and fellow freshers

Does anyone know when we're supposed to arrive at StAs? I know freshers week starts on the 22nd but can we get there earlier than that? Does that even make sense?

ReputationRep:
    I think that we are allowed to move in to out accommodation on 20th, but I'm not really sure...

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure you an start arrivingfrom the Saturday beforehand, the 20th that would be?

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering, what is Russian like at St. Andrews? I was thinking about picking it up as a module in my first year alongside English Lit which I applied for. Would I be completely swamped if I'd never studied it before? I do have an AS in french if that would be any help to me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you won't get completely swamped, I'm starting from scratch too...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schajin)
    I've never understood people that applied separately for two different subjects (using two of your choices on ucas, one for management and one for economics for example). You just apply for one of them and you can then always switch things around.
    To be fair, I remember applying for IR & Econ and also for IR & Management, which I am really glad I did seeing as I got rejected for the first but accepted for the latter... Imagine if I'd only applied for the first one! :O

ReputationRep:
    I applied for two too - Physics and Philosophy & Psychology. Got into one rejected for the other.

Good thing I guess - Wouldnt want to do Phil and Psyco anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, I guess it does pay off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella_trixxx)
    I'm pretty sure you an start arrivingfrom the Saturday beforehand, the 20th that would be?

that sounds about right - I am so excited already! (yes, even though I am sitting and studying for exams here as we speak :P )

ReputationRep:
    Hello everybody

Someone told me that even though she put standard catered as her first choice and en-suite self-catered as her fourth choice, she still ended up with en-suite self-catered.

What are the chances for this happening? I'm really worried for getting en-suite self-catered!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thea Schei)
    Hello everybody

Someone told me that even though she put standard catered as her first choice and en-suite self-catered as her fourth choice, she still ended up with en-suite self-catered.

What are the chances for this happening? I'm really worried for getting en-suite self-catered!
    I'm at the end of my 1st year now and so this was last summer:

my first choice was standard catered and my fourth was en-suite catered. I got my accomodation offer through and i was given an en-suite catered room in new hall (my fourth choice). This didn't make sense as I had an unconditional offer and had sent my form away quickly. So i phoned up the accomodation people to ask why i was given the new hall room. The woman then preceded to tell me that it was because i sent them a letter saying that I wanted to be put in new hall. I explained that i never sent such a letter and then she realised that they had filed someone elses letter into my file. I ended up finally getting a standard catererd room in uni hall and it's been amazing.

So yeah if you get something that's the complete opposite of what u asked for then phone them - though a warning that they're not the most helpful of people and are clearly not well organised!!

ReputationRep:
    Alright guys, I need some help and calming words haha.

I have been forever unsure on wether I wanted to do Biology at St Andrews or not (My main Degree will be economics). I originally applied to the Faculty of Science for the Bsc.
    I than went on to ask the admission office wether it was possible to switch faculties once I had accepted my offer. All I wanted, was the information. However today I got an email saying

"I write to inform you that your request to change faculty to the MA Economics has been approved. We have updated your record and these changes should be available to view on UCAS tracking shortly."

I was like :eek: woah! Thats not what I wanted!

Anyway, Im not sure wether I want to stay in the Faculty of Arts or not. I like the choice of subjects, but I have heard that Bsc are often thought to be more quantitive and therefore might be regarded more highly (eg. for admission into postgraduate programs etc.). Would a Bsc of Economics be "worth" more than the MA "Economics"?

Does anyone know wether it is still possible to switch faculties upon arrival in St Andrews, during advising?

Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    For postgraduate programs anywhere, I don't think it will make a bit of difference. Economics is taught the same in most universities whether they offer a BA or BSc (London School of Economics for example).

I think you should make your mind up about what other subjects you want to study alongside economics in your first year, and base it on that.

ReputationRep:
    you can switch faculties 'whenever you want', but to tell you the truth it looks as follows:

1. you can try to change your faculties right after your meeting with advisor
    2. to do that you will most surely have to write an enquiry letter to the pro-deans of both faculties.
    3. it may occur to be either an unwanted or unnecessary move...
    4. during your first year [out of 120-160 credits] you can take up to 40 credits in the module that is not available at your faculty [e.g. i am a science person - but still could take international relations for 2 semesters, even though it is a purely arts course]
    5. you can switch to the other faculty either at the end of semester or at the end of the year
    6. switching to the science faculty is easier than switching to the arts faculty - the latter one receives much more applications each year so the requirements to do so are much higher - but i guess that if you have had such a change already confirmed then the option of 'not being good enough' should not concern you
    7. both qualifications - BSc and MA should be of the same value - it is the same course of economy you are going to take, BSc students with MA students have lectures, tutorials, seminars, etc together.

i would advise you to leave the faculties as they are - try to choose your modules for the next year and only if you decide that you want to do more than 2 modules from the faculty of science throughout the year - apply for a change

hope it helps!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Marshall and IBitious, I've calmed down I shall do as you said, and leave things alone for now

ReputationRep:
    My flatmate got in for a Bsc in Psychology, but when she realised that it meant that she had to take at least one more science subject in the first year which she would be "stuck" with the second year as well, she tried to switch faculties. This was during fresher's week so she tried to fix it as soon as possible, but her adviser just said that it couldn't be done and now she is stuck doing Maths year 1 and year 2...

HOWEVER, seeing as it was the uni that made the mistake of putting you into a different faculty when all you did was to ask a question - I am pretty damn sure they'll have to correct it if you don't want to keep it. I've found that bickering and whining almost always helps

ReputationRep:
    Are we allowed to buy our own furniture and throw away the old ones..?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    No....the furniture is University property.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dunno1)
    Are we allowed to buy our own furniture and throw away the old ones..?

hahahah that made my day

sorry.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.