Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Random question, but should we (new students) bring with us things such as saucepan, frying pan, plates, knifes fork and spoon etc?

ReputationRep:
    It's worth bringing some cooking stuff, I reckon. Even if you're in catered, you'll still want to feed yourself at weekends. There's usually some cooking stuff in the kitchens of most halls, but whether you'd ever want to use it for food preparation is another matter.

Woolworths sell cheap cutlery, and reasonably priced crockery/pots/pans/etc, so you could buy stuff there. Tesco often stock that kind of stuff in freshers' week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Highlander)
    What's the workload at St Andrews like? Is it higher than most other unis and is it a lot higher than school workload?
    In Scottish universities - as opposed to Oxbridge etc - the workload is usually quite reasonable and the number of actual hours in classes quite small as one progresses.

ReputationRep:
    I believe that there are universities in England other than Oxbridge....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alison89)
    I believe that there are universities in England other than Oxbridge....

Really?

ReputationRep:
    A few thousand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarshallM)
    A few thousand.
    thousand? ^o)

ReputationRep:
    There's a university in every village! Well, that would be the governments plan.

Okay, 200 odd.

ReputationRep:
    Back to the kitchen equipment question - this thread seems to have been sidetracked lol.

I was in DRA and found an inventory list for the bedroom and kitchen on the university website - theres probably one for all halls. I took cutlery, glasses, plates, kitchen accessories but pans werent needed.

ReputationRep:
    Can you tell me the site where I can take a look at the list (for DRA) ?

ReputationRep:
    I dont actually remember seeing a list on a website saying what you get but for DRA it is
    Bedroom
    1 Wardrobe, 2 Chests of drawers (3 drawer), 1 bin, 1 double bed, 2 pillows, 1 quilt (note NO bed clothes), 1 computer chair, 1 desk, 1 desk lamp (also 2 built in bed side lamps), 1 TV and signal point (though you need your own licence) 1 phone, 1 internet access point

Bathroom
    1 Toilet brush

Kitchen / Common areas
    1 Kettle, 1 Microwave, 1 large fridge freezer (some of the older flats also have a smaller separate fridge), 1 dishwasher, 5/6 lockable cupboards (with key, also other shared cupboards / drawers), 1 bin, 1 recycling bin, 3 pans, 1 frying pan, 1 baking tray, 1 coffee table, 1 TV table and TV signal point (NO TV), 2 sofas, 5/6 stools, 2 internet access points

1 mop, 1 bucket, 1 iron, 1 ironing board, 1 hoover (spare bags if youre lucky!) and 1 clothes dryer

Thats all I can think of right now, Ill add anything if I remember, hope this is useful to you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeeeevo)
    I dont actually remember seeing a list on a website saying what you get but for DRA it is
    Bedroom
    1 Wardrobe, 2 Chests of drawers (3 drawer), 1 bin, 1 double bed, 2 pillows, 1 quilt (note NO bed clothes), 1 computer chair, 1 desk, 1 desk lamp (also 2 built in bed side lamps), 1 TV and signal point (though you need your own licence) 1 phone, 1 internet access point

Bathroom
    1 Toilet brush

Kitchen / Common areas
    1 Kettle, 1 Microwave, 1 large fridge freezer (some of the older flats also have a smaller separate fridge), 1 dishwasher, 5/6 lockable cupboards (with key, also other shared cupboards / drawers), 1 bin, 1 recycling bin, 3 pans, 1 frying pan, 1 baking tray, 1 coffee table, 1 TV table and TV signal point (NO TV), 2 sofas, 5/6 stools, 2 internet access points

1 mop, 1 bucket, 1 iron, 1 ironing board, 1 hoover (spare bags if youre lucky!) and 1 clothes dryer

Thats all I can think of right now, Ill add anything if I remember, hope this is useful to you!
    They provide an actual TV for you!?

EDIT: and what do you reckon the chances are of me getting DRA? I wrote on my application 'I would love to stay in DRA although I realise this may not be possible' and specified self-catered en-suite as my first choice. I really REALLY want DRA!

ReputationRep:
    Pretty possible - i dont think they ever fill it up as they always seem to have spare rooms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte_Heart_NYC)
    They provide an actual TV for you!?

EDIT: and what do you reckon the chances are of me getting DRA? I wrote on my application 'I would love to stay in DRA although I realise this may not be possible' and specified self-catered en-suite as my first choice. I really REALLY want DRA!
    Yes every room has its own 14 inch TV, though like I say you cant use it without a licence (officially )

and as DRA is by far the biggest accommodation, its VERY likely you will get in.

ReputationRep:
    Yey! Happy now , absolutely sooo bloody excited about St Andrews - I can't wait to get up there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dunno1)
    Can you tell me the site where I can take a look at the list (for DRA) ?
    http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/students...ellApartments/

then look at the menu on the left hand side "David Russell Apartment's residents" - it has a load of info on there - i found it really useful last year.

ReputationRep:
    Anybody know what the Union's Freshers Week events are gonna be??? im a returning student and do not know this yet!!! But am wanting to go to them all the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilkinson42)
    Anybody know what the Union's Freshers Week events are gonna be??? im a returning student and do not know this yet!!! But am wanting to go to them all the same.

I don't think anything is official just yet. Check out www.yourunion.net from time to time to see when the events have been posted

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if it's possible to change one of your subjects before you arrive at uni?

I've accepted my place to do 2 Modern Languages and Management, however after developing my interests in a really short space of time (the 3 or 4 months since i accepted) I would love to be able to try out International Relations, most likely in place of Management as I still wish to focus on Modern Languages.

I realise I applied for Management as part of my course and I haven't tried it yet (and if I had to stick to it I probably could persevere). I also realise that IR at St Andrews is very difficult to get into even for those who expressly started out wanting to do it - let alone people like me. Yet this change of course is a possibilty I would really like to look into.

Has anyone had experience of this? Any advice to set me straight?

ReputationRep:
    Try sending an email to StA (not sure where exactly, off the top of my head...someone else might, though ) and see where it gets you. Though as it's IR you're wanting to do, don't get your hopes up.

It is possible to change course after you've accepted (or even after a year or two. I know a few people who have done this; one of my best friends was originally doing Maths/Chemistry and changed to pure Maths after first year), but changing to IR can be pretty damn hard.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.