The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Very hard question to answer - someone will be able to give you a general answer though it will vary depending on where and what you want to study. I know quite a few people with an "MA" degree go onto further study for a proper MA or MSc in a slightly different subject though.

I will be interested in peoples answers to this as well. :smile:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2541
As far as I know an undergraduate MA (Master of Arts) is exactly the same as a BA (Bachelor of Arts), it's just what a lot of the old universities use. I would guess therefore that it has no effect on any further study as it is simply a different wording.
That's what I thought - though Scottish degrees are usually said to be in between a English BA and an English MA. I think there was a topic about this before, not sure what the conclusion was!
Reply 2543
Btw; Last year during fresher's week we had a student room meeting for people to finally get to meet those faces behind the TSR-aliases. Unfortunately, I missed out on that one, and so I'm wondering if anyone would be up for it this year as well? :smile:
Reply 2544
Knudsen
Btw; Last year during fresher's week we had a student room meeting for people to finally get to meet those faces behind the TSR-aliases. Unfortunately, I missed out on that one, and so I'm wondering if anyone would be up for it this year as well? :smile:

No harm could come from it.

Maybe one of the beaches on Sunday evening (September 21). All the reshies (myself included) will be there by then.
Knudsen

Yup i'd be up for that!
Count me in too! :biggrin:
Two years ago we had a bonfire, some songs and various other events going on. I vaguely remember people around me worshipping a bottle of wine. Nothing like tsr people...
Aww, I missed the one two years ago =(. But last year we went to the Whey Pat. From the sound of things, if we get nice weather, I think the beach would be a lot of fun. Dragon, do you still have that frisbee?
chester_2005
Count me in too! :biggrin:

Me three, sounds like a brilliant idea :biggrin:
Actually no!! D: I left it in my room in New Hall! Which sucks since it was an AWESOME frisbee!

I'll purchase a new one before we come back :smile:
Reply 2551
dragon500uk
Actually no!! D: I left it in my room in New Hall! Which sucks since it was an AWESOME frisbee!

How can one frisbee be better than any other frisbee? Or do different types really exist?:eek:
Reply 2552
How did you change during the first year at St Andrews?
Reply 2553
Amelorn
How did you change during the first year at St Andrews?

I became more relaxed about things, for better and for worse. Learning and work is so independent that you finally come to realise that it's not that big of a deal if you miss your essay deadlines (this semester I handed in an essay that was 1.5 weeks too late :wink:).

I've also become more outgoing than before. I've never been shy but when you're thrust into a uni-world with thousands of drunken students you kind of learn to be super-outgoing, then all of sudden you realise that you somehow know the names and can say hi to 500 people on your way to lectures.

My only regret is not exercising enough. A new-found laid back attitude combined with a gym that could've placed in the USSR equals to no desire at all to exercise. Which of course results in the infamous uni weight gain of 0.5 lb a week... I mostly blame all the alcohol though :wink:
nempozpag
Ooooh, hello :wink:

Wehey! Hello to you to, looks like we've created a bit of a paradox there.
So...with Physics, Biol, Chem and Maths, what will you be studying? Funny, I took three out of four of those subjects too, 'cept I chose English over Maths, and ended up applying for an English degree. o.O
Reply 2555
Are we allowed to take 1000-level modules in your second year?
Reply 2556
Dunno1
Are we allowed to take 1000-level modules in your second year?

Yes, as long as two thirds of your second year modules are 2000 level
Reply 2557
oki thankyou for the quick reply :smile:
What was everybody's first day at St Andrews like?
Reply 2559
The Highlander
What was everybody's first day at St Andrews like?

awful. it took the uni-provided bus from edinburgh airport over 3 ½ hours to get to StA, dropping DRA-people off last. anxiety, heat, bumpy roads and being car sick is not a good combination!

I got to my flat and realised everyone had their parents with them (wtf is with that, no one does it in Sweden), i.e. no one even came out of their rooms to say hi - overwhelmingly isolated! i couldn't get my internet to work, i couldn't phone home, i was awfully hungry and because I arrived so late I figured tesco would be closed (turned out it wasn't) and so had no food. i started making my bed and realised the duvet covers i brought were too small - and here the tears were close, it was a very emotional day after all.

the list can go on and on, all I know is that I HATED my first day in St Andrews.

Funny how wrong you can get, 'cause I can't wait to get back in September!:biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending