Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I seem to remember the gowns being in the region of £125 for a new one, but definitely get there on the first day of the sale, because they ran out in my first year.

ReputationRep:
    How does it work with downloading? I'm an avid downloader (1 gig or so/day) are they gonna ***** at me? If so, how do i go about paying for personal internet if it is even offered? I might just have to get mobile internet (slow, expensive and w/quota ;/)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You can't bittorrent, but I do a fair bit of downloading and have never been told to stop. Just do what you want and see if they mind or not. Oh, and you can't get personal internet in your room as far as I'm aware.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BajoranRogue)
    More likely than not that photo would be more to do with when the University opens up New Hall as a hotel over the summer for golfers and the like.

Also, there are a couple of incontinences between that photo and what my two rooms were like in the two years I was at New Hall: the desk and bookshelf weren't against that wall, they were against the wall which would be behind the picture taker. Also the bed would be right up against the wall the photo shows the desk against, and the two bed-side cabinets would be side by side. Also, there was another notice board on that wall.

EDIT: Threw together something in paint. Its nowhere near to scale but hopefully it should show the differences between the room layout in that picture and what it actually is.
    Thanks for that BajoranRogue. It really puts the room into perspective

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, nice picture =]

I suspected the picture I posted is of half of a shared room - it looked a similar layout to a friend's room I saw a couple of years ago.

I was also hesitant to suggest the picture was taken for New Hall as a hotel/hostel, because there are big books on the bookshelf. I figured scattering big books around to look intellectual was more a student-y activity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la_banane_verte)
    You can't bittorrent, but I do a fair bit of downloading and have never been told to stop. Just do what you want and see if they mind or not. Oh, and you can't get personal internet in your room as far as I'm aware.
    What methods do you use? I'm pretty sure they block IRC and NNTP (usenet) which I prefer because of security, do you happen to know?
    Also will they get pissed if i compete with their IT center for fixing computers?

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering, this has probably been asked before, but do New Hall have bike facilities?
    And how long would you say it would take to cycle from there to St Mary's College, as opposed to walking?
    Thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by blindpet)
    What methods do you use? I'm pretty sure they block IRC and NNTP (usenet) which I prefer because of security, do you happen to know?
    Also will they get pissed if i compete with their IT center for fixing computers?
    I don't use any fancy methods of downloading, just direct links and ftp so I'm not sure whether the ones you mentioned are blocked. Someone else might know though...chip in if you do!

I don't think they'll mind if you want to fix people's computers for them, I don't see how it's any of their business anyway.

ReputationRep:
    The IT centre already has competition with the WiredSoc which is the tech savvy students offering free computer repairs and help etc. If you join WiredSoc you get access to special game servers for the more popular online games, so you can play without having to bypass the Resnet system illegally

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la_banane_verte)
    I don't think they'll mind if you want to fix people's computers for them, I don't see how it's any of their business anyway.
    I figured they'd like to eliminate competition since everything seems to have a monetary basis over there (blocking VoIP and webcam is just wrong imo).

(Original post by Skeve)
    If you join WiredSoc you get access to special game servers for the more popular online games, so you can play without having to bypass the Resnet system illegally
    Thanks for the tip, though I'm not a gamer by any means, I just hate restrictions in general. I figured offering my services would be a good way to meet and help people simultaneously while getting a few pints for free every now and then .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flashphotographer)
    I was wondering, this has probably been asked before, but do New Hall have bike facilities?
    And how long would you say it would take to cycle from there to St Mary's College, as opposed to walking?
    Thanks
    There is a bike rack at New Hall, on the map page on the University Website you can find a cycle map which shows you where bike racks are around town, what sort of rack it is and how many it'll hold.

To get that far into town from New Hall took me around 15-20 minutes when walking. I've not taken a bike to St Andrews yet, so I can't judge how long that would take, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    New Hall to St Mary's can take about 5-7 minutes on a bike, not too bad for when your up late for your 9am lectures in the Bute. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BajoranRogue)
    There is a bike rack at New Hall, on the map page on the University Website you can find a cycle map which shows you where bike racks are around town, what sort of rack it is and how many it'll hold.

To get that far into town from New Hall took me around 15-20 minutes when walking. I've not taken a bike to St Andrews yet, so I can't judge how long that would take, sorry.
    Thanks for the link

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parrotman)
    New Hall to St Mary's can take about 5-7 minutes on a bike, not too bad for when your up late for your 9am lectures in the Bute. :p:
    That will save on alot of time faffing about in the morning.
    Although I don't have lectures till ten :p:

ReputationRep:
    First year I had lectures starting at 12, it was great!

ReputationRep:
    I think my lectures start at 11am!! Which is great!

Thanks to the person who posted the cycle racks map, very very very helpful!! But I have to admit I have no idea there where different versions of cycle racks?! Sheffield racks? I only know the ones that have two loops and you put the front wheel between them and then lock it round that! Although I've never used any before so will probably end up making a fool of myself with them lol!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The sheffield racks (I never knew they were called that until now!) are basically metal arches about the height of a bike and you lean your bike against it and lock it to it, like these.

ReputationRep:
    I applied for New Hall but got put in St. Regulus,
    is St. Regulus nice?

It's about 900m from my department block but that isn't too far is it, others will be similar distances?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aihara)
    is St. Regulus nice?

It's about 900m from my department block but that isn't too far is it, others will be similar distances?
    I wonder how they decide whether or not you will get the accommodation you've applied for :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aihara)
    is St. Regulus nice?

Regs is a lovely old hall, lots of my friends were in there in first year and loved it. Apparently has great hall spirit. It's just away from the centre of town, so it's about a 5-10min slow walk to the main quad for arts lectures. Depends what subject your studying though.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.