Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Excellent advice about the societies Steevo - just don't take any money at all with you to Freshers Fayre, then you can't be conned into paying - we're trying to rope people into joining our club by offering discounted rates during Freshers week

ReputationRep:
    Hii
    this is a question regarding David Russell Apartments
    does anyone know if the individual flats are mixed gender or same gender?!
    please can someone let me know!!
    Thank yoou!
    xxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xkayelzx)
    Hii
    this is a question regarding David Russell Apartments
    does anyone know if the individual flats are mixed gender or same gender?!
    please can someone let me know!!
    Thank yoou!
    xxxx
    same gender

ReputationRep:
    Aw, thats absoloutely rubbish! i honestly didnt know that
    if i did i would of gone elsewhere
    i sound horrible now i just have a history of NOT getting on with girls:|
    How many flats are there per floor?
    i suppose the floors are same gender too?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xkayelzx)
    Aw, thats absoloutely rubbish! i honestly didnt know that
    if i did i would of gone elsewhere
    i sound horrible now i just have a history of NOT getting on with girls:|
    How many flats are there per floor?
    i suppose the floors are same gender too?!

3 regular flats per floor, but the floors are not same-gendered. honestly though, don't worry if you feel as if you won't get along with your flatmates (which I'm sure you actually will!), it's uni! you'll meet so many new people and will have lots of friends to be with other than your flatmates, it's not as if the rest of us get along with everyone, same gender or not besides, it's only for the first year, after that you can do whatever you want!

ReputationRep:
    I thought it sucks too! I wanted a mix in my flat! Perhaps we should trade rooms xkayelzx? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarshallM)
    I thought it sucks too! I wanted a mix in my flat! Perhaps we should trade rooms xkayelzx? :p:
    haha I thought so too when I first heard of it last year - didn't really bother me once I got there though!

I know a girl who ended up in a DRA-flat with all boys, apparently the accomm office had done some mistake (she didn't have a typical, western, girl name either). poor girl had just come from a muslim country and was petrified to find herself with 4 boys it worked out fine in the end however!

ReputationRep:
    Quick question: I'm getting there rather late on the 22nd, where do I go to get my key for DRA and the orientation packet? It would suck to not have a place to sleep my first night there ;/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blindpet)
    Quick question: I'm getting there rather late on the 22nd, where do I go to get my key for DRA and the orientation packet? It would suck to not have a place to sleep my first night there ;/
    Yer I'm getting there on the 21st and I'm wondering what to do

ReputationRep:
    Just find the porter they wont leave you on the streets and there should be someone about 24/7

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blindpet)
    I think it says somewhere on the website that those coming late (in the evening) should e-mail (their hall I suppose) and let them know so that they can hand you your key. I'll provide a link if I can find it again.

Shouldn't be a problem though, worst case scenario = I can volunteer to pick your keys up during the day, seeing as I live in DRA as well

Edit: "If you are due to arrive at the airport late in the evening please let Student Support Services know in advance of your travel so that we can inform your Hall of Residence of your estimated time of arrival: [email protected] "

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarshallM)
    In all honesty!"
    yes
    lets swap! lol
    which block are you in?:P
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm wondering about internet in the uni. I'm staying in the David Russell Apartments, and was thinking of getting a laptop. Will I be able to use the university's internet connection and do I have to organise anything with them regarding that? and also, will I need to install some sort of internet security or antivirus software on my computer (Norton) or does the uni have sufficient firewalls?

A key factor in my decision of whether to get a laptop (besides the cost!!! ) or not is whether the lecturers prefer handwritten or typed essays, or does this vary from subject to subject? (I'm taking English)

Also, is there anyone studying English who isn't a fresher, who can give me some advice on whether we need to finish the reading list before arriving? Or is it ok to have read most of the books and we'll have plenty of time for reading when we are there? I'm just wondering whether to cram in as much reading time as possible before I arrive or whether to just relax and spend the time with friends and family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by autumn_breeze04)
    Hi, I'm wondering about internet in the uni. I'm staying in the David Russell Apartments, and was thinking of getting a laptop. Will I be able to use the university's internet connection and do I have to organise anything with them regarding that? and also, will I need to install some sort of internet security or antivirus software on my computer (Norton) or does the uni have sufficient firewalls?

A key factor in my decision of whether to get a laptop (besides the cost!!! ) or not is whether the lecturers prefer handwritten or typed essays, or does this vary from subject to subject? (I'm taking English)

Also, is there anyone studying English who isn't a fresher, who can give me some advice on whether we need to finish the reading list before arriving? Or is it ok to have read most of the books and we'll have plenty of time for reading when we are there? I'm just wondering whether to cram in as much reading time as possible before I arrive or whether to just relax and spend the time with friends and family.
    You can most definitely use the university's internet connection, all you need is a cable - and if you don't know which one to buy, the DRA shop will have them available Nothing you need to notify the uni about.
    Unfortunately I don't know enough about the uni's firewall to answer that part of the question...

Almost all lecturers prefer typed essays as they are easier to read and are uniform - this counts especially for English as it's an essay-type module. My flatmate does English and so I know that the reading list is for the actual semester, you don't have to read anything in advance if you don't want to. So just relax!

ReputationRep:
    Is ResNet easy to set up then? And just how restrictive is the "no online gaming, no webcam, NO FUN" port blocking?
    I really can't wait to get up there now ;D I'm another one who will be arriving late - at about 7pm on Sunday the 21st for me. I'm hoping I don't miss everyone 'buddying up' and I can make some friends on the Monday.

I'm so excited about staying in New Hall - the food had best be as good as I remember it being on the open day!

ReputationRep:
    ok silly question:
    What do people use to carry around their stuff to, from and in between lectures?
    The only backpack I've got is fairly small and I remember not being able to fit my books and binders in it when I was at school in canada... Should I go out and get a larger one? or maybe one of those side bags... how about a wheelbarrow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schajin)
    ok silly question:
    What do people use to carry around their stuff to, from and in between lectures?
    The only backpack I've got is fairly small and I remember not being able to fit my books and binders in it when I was at school in canada... Should I go out and get a larger one? or maybe one of those side bags... how about a wheelbarrow
    I've seen quite alot of people with messenger bags/backpacks.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously depends which subjects.
    I got away with using a backpack. last year, I did german, italian and modern history so i took max. 3 notebooks, 2 text books every day. not too heavy really.

ReputationRep:
    I use A4 folders, so a ruckrack is the easiest option for me. It's also more practical, because I usually cycle to lectures.

ReputationRep:
    Odd question
    David russell apartments kitchens
    Are pans provided?? cos some girl i was talking to has bought loads, but i thought they would be provided seeing how if not there will be 6 sets of pans around the place!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.