Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in McIntosh.

ReputationRep:
    Me too, and it's OK today but it was awful last night.

ReputationRep:
    Bah - took me five minutes to get this page up Worse this morning than its ever been.

Glad to know its not just me!

ReputationRep:
    My connection was generally grotty yesterday, and is jumping between 'fine' and 'hopelessly useless' at the moment. GAH.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in New Hall, and it's always fine for me..

ReputationRep:
    My connection was down today, but it's been "ok" the rest of the time. I'd heard it was super fast though, so I'm a bit disappointed on that front.
    I'm in New Hall also by the way, hi Bella

ReputationRep:
    It seems fine now...

ReputationRep:
    My advisor doesn't even know she's an advisor...... She doesn't know what it is or anything... What to do?

ReputationRep:
    I've not got the adviser I was meant to have,... I have the guy i really really really hate

ReputationRep:
    It seems like everybody has already bought their books...
    Emphasis on the word bought! German was pretty helpful because they say which ones MUST be purchased but the rest don't really tell you, and I don't want to waste any money.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Don't bother buying books that you haven't been told to buy - wait until either you're told to buy a certain book, or you feel that it would help you to buy a book, it's just a waste of money otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    Eurgh!!! Do any of you guys know how long it takes to get from Physics lecture theatre A to the Buchanan lecture building thing?!
    I just found that Philosophy at 11 is in Physics place but History is in Buchanan at 12....you get 5-10 mins between lectures right?!

Aaaah I'm going to be late for all my history lectures and I hate being late because everyone turns round to look at you!! Oh and the lecturers will hate me...

ReputationRep:
    Wasps...i think it will take only 5 minutes, cos they are both pretty much in town...so 10 minutes max! you will be fine!!
    Ooh my internet has gone off a couple of times now!
    Has everyone got their academic families yet? i still dont have anyone this does make me sad!!
    xxxx

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering applying to do Philosophy at St Andrews. One thing that appears to be a drawback is how the degree is 4 years long rather than the standard three. Is there any justification for this? ...or perhaps, it's for the best, as the studying process is a more gradual one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jstock6)
    I'm considering applying to do Philosophy at St Andrews. One thing that appears to be a drawback is how the degree is 4 years long rather than the standard three. Is there any justification for this? ...or perhaps, it's for the best, as the studying process is a more gradual one?
    If you're an English student with good grades, you can skip the first year - it's called "direct entry". Most Scottish degree courses are one year longer than the English counterparts, chiefly because of the differences between Scottish Highers and English A-levels.

In short: if you're English with good A-levels, or Scottish with good Advanced highers, you can skip the first year, making the course three years rather than four.

But, when you get here...you'll probably want to stay for as long as you can anyway :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    If you're an English student with good grades, you can skip the first year - it's called "direct entry". Most Scottish degree courses are one year longer than the English counterparts, chiefly because of the differences between Scottish Highers and English A-levels.

In short: if you're English with good A-levels, or Scottish with good Advanced highers, you can skip the first year, making the course three years rather than four.

But, when you get here...you'll probably want to stay for as long as you can anyway :p:
    That's pretty much only with sciences, the faculty of arts don't tend to do it!

ReputationRep:
    I would agree that the direct entry option is far more common for science subjects.

In Scotland, all universities will give offers based on Highers, because although we do have an Advanced Higher system, it's not always easy to do the subjects you want. If someone has good AH's or A-levels, then as M_E_X said, direct entry can sometimes be an option. However, I think generally with arts modules, it's perhaps less about the actual content and more about how you work with it and think about it - whereas with a science, you either know the course content, or you don't. If you know it, you can do direct entry.

Although your first year might not be the most academically challenging, it will give you a lot of opportunities to do other stuff with your time. I did direct entry, and although I like its benefits, I'm aware I've missed a possible 'lazy year', and instead had to work hard from the beginning.

Ooh, and I just remembered... in your first year, you can study a lot more subjects, which can be very useful if you decide you want to change your course.

ReputationRep:
    Eurgh!!! Do any of you guys know how long it takes to get from Physics lecture theatre A to the Buchanan lecture building thing?!
    I just found that Philosophy at 11 is in Physics place but History is in Buchanan at 12....you get 5-10 mins between lectures right?!

Aaaah I'm going to be late for all my history lectures and I hate being late because everyone turns round to look at you!! Oh and the lecturers will hate me...
    Same problem here, except with IR being at 10. I think it's possible to cover that distance in the time, so if you see me running very fast in either direction you can guess where I'm headed..

BTW, didn't see you at the philosophy get-together this afternoon something clash or just didn't fancy it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jormungandr)
    Same problem here, except with IR being at 10. I think it's possible to cover that distance in the time, so if you see me running very fast in either direction you can guess where I'm headed..

BTW, didn't see you at the philosophy get-together this afternoon something clash or just didn't fancy it?
    Ooo yeah sos! It clashed at first with golf and I felt so wretched I went back to DRA, I think I might have the beginning of freshers flu, one of my flatmates has been flat out with it and it looks like me and two others in my flat might be getting it....I just hope it clears up enough for the running between lectures next week!
    But I hopefully see you at enrolment on Monday! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wasps26)
    Ooo yeah sos! It clashed at first with golf and I felt so wretched I went back to DRA, I think I might have the beginning of freshers flu, one of my flatmates has been flat out with it and it looks like me and two others in my flat might be getting it....I just hope it clears up enough for the running between lectures next week!
    But I hopefully see you at enrolment on Monday! :yep:
    Yup, I and most of my friends have been struck down with the dreaded Fresher's Flu. Yay!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.