Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Our IR tutor insists on holding our tutorial on Rasin Monday. What time does all the action usually take place? The tutorial is at 12, what time is the foam fight?
    I might just skip the tutorial if they clash, do I need to come up with a good reason for my self declaration, will I have to produce a doctor's note or something, or can I just say that I wasn't feeling well...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schajin)
    Hey guys,

Our IR tutor insists on holding our tutorial on Rasin Monday. What time does all the action usually take place? The tutorial is at 12, what time is the foam fight?
    I might just skip the tutorial if they clash, do I need to come up with a good reason for my self declaration, will I have to produce a doctor's note or something, or can I just say that I wasn't feeling well...?
    Foam fight starts at 11 so you could technically go, you'd just be very... foamy! I'm sure no one else in your class will bother to turn up though, I don't know anyone who's going to any of their classes...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella_trixxx)
    Foam fight starts at 11 so you could technically go, you'd just be very... foamy! I'm sure no one else in your class will bother to turn up though, I don't know anyone who's going to any of their classes...
    I am :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by volts)
    I am :o:
    Whyyyyy?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

whats the custom for bringing stuff to your academic parents? I heard its wine for the mom, is it the same for the dad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schajin)
    Hey guys,

whats the custom for bringing stuff to your academic parents? I heard its wine for the mom, is it the same for the dad?
    Usually wine for both, but any (preferably fruit / grape based) booze will do (especially is 1 of your parents hates wine / has lots of kids and might want something different)

A full guide can be found here

ReputationRep:
    I know it's a bit late for this now, but do you give wine to both parents on Sunday, or wine to your mum on Sunday and wine to your dad on Monday? I've heard both :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella_trixxx)
    I know it's a bit late for this now, but do you give wine to both parents on Sunday, or wine to your mum on Sunday and wine to your dad on Monday? I've heard both :s
    I'm not sure, and I doubt it matters too much. I gave my parents stuff in 'return' for raisin strings and raisin recipts, although I'm not sure if that's how it's meant to work.
    I've not made any raisin strings yet, so... maybe don't go with that approach :rolleyes:
    See you soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
    I'm not sure, and I doubt it matters too much. I gave my parents stuff in 'return' for raisin strings and raisin recipts, although I'm not sure if that's how it's meant to work.
    I've not made any raisin strings yet, so... maybe don't go with that approach :rolleyes:
    See you soon
    Tough, I bought you wine so you're getting it today :p:

ReputationRep:
    Haha! I only just read this lol!

I therefore apologise for the huge quantity of wine you recieved!! I should have got you something more imaginative! Sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wasps26)
    Haha! I only just read this lol!

I therefore apologise for the huge quantity of wine you recieved!! I should have got you something more imaginative! Sorry!
    Oh goodness! Don't apologise! My room is looking spectacularly alcoholic right now... it's quite exciting
    Thank you both for a really nice weekend

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've just been admitted to Classics/Philosophy last week. My question is regarding the possibility of changing degrees. I have a friend who applied for Philo/Econ and is now taking Philo/Management. Is that possible for anyone, or just some?

Furthermore, if I decide I want to change my degree, can I change before choosing classes? That is, imagine I want to do History now, do I still have to take a Classics module in my first year, because that is what I originally applied for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by predius)
    Hey, I've just been admitted to Classics/Philosophy last week. My question is regarding the possibility of changing degrees. I have a friend who applied for Philo/Econ and is now taking Philo/Management. Is that possible for anyone, or just some?

Furthermore, if I decide I want to change my degree, can I change before choosing classes? That is, imagine I want to do History now, do I still have to take a Classics module in my first year, because that is what I originally applied for?
    you usually take up to 3 subjects worth of modules in the first year, then drop down to any 1 or 2 subjects of your first year choices in the second/third year, meaning you may come out with a completely different degree to which you applied. It is perfectly legitimate and commonly happens, meaning in your example, someone applying to Philo/Econ, but takes management modules in first year, could within the rules of the university drop Economics in second year and come out with a Philo/Management degree

as for your second question that gets a bit tricky. The university EXPECTS you to pick your core modules in first year based on what you apply for, nothing says you have to, but at 99% of people do so the university bases procedures (such as allocating advisors ect) around this. You probably could do totally different modules, but dont expect it to be easy. My advice with your example is to do the classics modules AS WELL AS the history, it still gives you another free subject but will keep your advisor (who will most likely be based in the classics department) happy.

ReputationRep:
    Hello there. I applied for Economics (2009).
    My question is, can I later change - fingers crossed I get an offer - the MSc/MA part of my course? I just went straight for L102 which is MSc and did not notice that Faculty of Arts also offered a degree in Economics.

And speaking of MA's, which is better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeeeevo)
    as for your second question that gets a bit tricky. The university EXPECTS you to pick your core modules in first year based on what you apply for, nothing says you have to, but at 99% of people do so the university bases procedures (such as allocating advisors ect) around this. You probably could do totally different modules, but dont expect it to be easy. My advice with your example is to do the classics modules AS WELL AS the history, it still gives you another free subject but will keep your advisor (who will most likely be based in the classics department) happy.
    great. in the end, it's probably what i'll do, since I'll first want to try it and see if i like it, choosing a module which could act as a backup if i decide to change.

one more thing, if I applied to classics/philosophy, will i get an advisor from each, or just a randomly picked one from either department?

ReputationRep:
    This is probably an idiotic question, but I'll ask anyway...

Are there any pets allowed in New Hall?

And also, do I have to worry about losing a dorm spot due to rooms filling up too quickly? When is the best time to make living arrangements for a first-year student? I've just recently been accepted, and I'm still waiting to hear back from my U.S. universities here in the States... in fact, I haven't even finished applying to all of them yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by predius)
    great. in the end, it's probably what i'll do, since I'll first want to try it and see if i like it, choosing a module which could act as a backup if i decide to change.

one more thing, if I applied to classics/philosophy, will i get an advisor from each, or just a randomly picked one from either department?
    You will only have one adviser and I don't know how they work it out!:o: I'm studying Maths/Philosophy and my adviser was from the Maths department, despite me being placed in the Arts faculty. :rolleyes:

(Original post by Ombre_Rouge)
    This is probably an idiotic question, but I'll ask anyway...

Are there any pets allowed in New Hall?

And also, do I have to worry about losing a dorm spot due to rooms filling up too quickly? When is the best time to make living arrangements for a first-year student? I've just recently been accepted, and I'm still waiting to hear back from my U.S. universities here in the States... in fact, I haven't even finished applying to all of them yet.
    Nope, no pets.

You should receive/have received an offer pack a little while after you received your offer. This will contain information regarding any entry conditions etc.. and it should also contain information regarding accommodation. If not, the st-andrews website will have information, but I think the general rule is that you have to apply for accommodation before the end of May in order to be guaranteed a place.

ReputationRep:
    You MUST MUST MUST apply this year prior to the acommodation deadline as this year there was mega trouble with even people applying before the deadline not getting places.

And no pets in New Hall, not even christmas tinsel...they have just taken mine down !! lol .

Sam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samantha_1112)
    You MUST MUST MUST apply this year prior to the acommodation deadline as this year there was mega trouble with even people applying before the deadline not getting places.

And no pets in New Hall, not even christmas tinsel...they have just taken mine down !! lol .

Sam
    :eek: :woo: Scrooges!!!

And yes to the accommodation thing- make sure you apply before the deadline, and if you don't receive an application acknowledgement within a few weeks, ask for confirmation that they got your application!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chester.)
    :eek: :woo: Scrooges!!!

And yes to the accommodation thing- make sure you apply before the deadline, and if you don't receive an application acknowledgement within a few weeks, ask for confirmation that they got your application!
    must say the tinsel thing is a bit harsh, they only go as far as banning fairy lights in DRA. Having said that last year I did receive several requests to take my entire Christmas tree down in DRA which I thought was a bit unfair!!!!! It was April, but thats beside the point :p: (true story BTW!)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.