Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noujazeg)
    Question: is everyone at St Andrews perfect?:p:

Because when I went there on the visiting day it seemed EVERYONE, both current students and visiting ones, was stylish, intelligent, talented (actually I don't know this, but I could imagine all the girls playing the violin and all the guys rowing), and beautiful. It's actually the main hamper on me going there (I've got an offer). It seemed too perfect. Is it possible to fit in at St Andrews if you are an ugly and anti-social individual who somehow managed to clob together a decent personal statement + fool teachers into believing she might get 41 IB points?

Hypothetically speaking, bien sur.
    Ha, well I often wander round in a Gryffindor jumper, so I'm fairly certain I'm not stylish! But yes, there are a lot of those kinds of people, which isn't to say that they are not nice and friendly.
    If this is the only thing stopping you from accepting your offer, then you have to consider that people like those you described will be found everywhere, just at St Andrews there are quite a lot of them!

ReputationRep:
    How much do staff ie tutors associate with the students informally? Just out of interest, cos that's a huge selling point for some unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExDeusVenitBritannia)
    How much do staff ie tutors associate with the students informally? Just out of interest, cos that's a huge selling point for some unis.
    Lecturers tend to not have much time, especially with 100+ students in a lecture.

Tutors say that they are happy to discuss something over a drink if you want to, but because they are usually phd students, I don't think they have much time.
    At the end of the semester some tutors arrange an informal meeting at the pub

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flashphotographer)
    Lecturers tend to not have much time, especially with 100+ students in a lecture.

Tutors say that they are happy to discuss something over a drink if you want to, but because they are usually phd students, I don't think they have much time.
    At the end of the semester some tutors arrange an informal meeting at the pub
    Oh, sounds cool enough.

Thanks for the info

ReputationRep:
    Oh, sounds cool enough.

Thanks for the info
    No problem

ReputationRep:
    I guess it depends how well you get on with them and how much you have in common. The main link I have with staff is through PhD students - they act as a kind of bridge between the staff social circle and the student one.

It's nice when you get into smaller classes... the lecturers have the chance to get to know your name, and once they know you, they're more sociable. It's hard to be sociable with a class of, like, 100 or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flashphotographer)
    No problem
    Anything else St A specific you think people in this thread might like to know?

ReputationRep:
    Anything else St A specific you think people in this thread might like to know?
    Considering how long this thread is, I'm sure most things have been mentioned, as well as repeated, so I guess this won't hurt.

Well if you are considering coming here,

1. WRAP UP! It can get chilly, and sometimes (like in my halls) boilers break :shifty: especially when they are most needed.
    2. Golf is something you must try (still haven't tried myself though to be honest).
    3. No real need for a car as everything is 20/30 mins walk away. And it is healthier :yep:
    4. No clubs in St Andrews, so if that is something you are looking for, you will have to travel to Dundee.

If you ever want to ask anything else, don't hesitate. I'll try my best to answer questions

ReputationRep:
    I'm at StAs too you know! Feel free to "ask me anything", hehe.

edit: Flash, the union is practically a club on a Friday night though!

edit2: flash, what hall are you in? And what're you doing next year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    I'm at StAs too you know! Feel free to "ask me anything", hehe.

edit: Flash, the union is practically a club on a Friday night though!

edit2: flash, what hall are you in? And what're you doing next year?
    I take it you are directing that at me?
    I'm in New Hall.
    The fire alarms...My God...

ReputationRep:
    I'm in New Hall too! Woo
    I've probably spoken to you at some point.

What're you doing next year for accom? I've reapplied for New Hall, but I didn't realise how horribly expensive it is - it's gone up over £400 :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    I'm in New Hall too! Woo
    I've probably spoken to you at some point.

What're you doing next year for accom? I've reapplied for New Hall, but I didn't realise how horribly expensive it is - it's gone up over £400 :|
    Probably.
    I don't have a clue! I'm thinking of staying in uni accom just because I don't have time to go flat-hunting. DRA seems quite nice. A bit far, but I have a bike so I'm not too fussed.
    Did you by any chance change your status on facebook regarding the increase in price?

ReputationRep:
    Thats nothing - since i was there last year it's gone up by a grand! It was under £5000 for a shared room in 2007....

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone

I need some help to answer one question - here goes - I have a friend who wanted to apply to st andrews for joined maths and german but the course doesnt exist anymore. Do you think it would be possible that they would still allow her to have the combination into honorus even if it doesnt match any course?

thanks loads

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tidbits)
    Hello everyone

I need some help to answer one question - here goes - I have a friend who wanted to apply to st andrews for joined maths and german but the course doesnt exist anymore. Do you think it would be possible that they would still allow her to have the combination into honorus even if it doesnt match any course?

thanks loads
    i'm not too sure about German, but I'm in 1st yr and doing Biology with French and i know we are the last yr to be able to start it and continue to honours, so they might be doing the same with german. I think the problem would be that they are stopping running the 'German for Science' course which your friend would be doing (they are stopping french for science i know for sure), and if she were to do the normal German course it may clash with maths lecture times etc, and would be A LOT of work... but i can't be sure, you'd probably be best to email the german and maths departments...

ReputationRep:
    They're stopping Spanish for Scientists too, so I'm guessing they're phasing all the Languages for Scientists out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chester.)
    They're stopping Spanish for Scientists too, so I'm guessing they're phasing all the Languages for Scientists out.
    it's a bit of a shame, cos i know quite a few people who were hoping to apply for them this yr...so glad i came straight to uni and didnt take a gap yr!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tidbits)
    Hello everyone

thanks loads
    Hey I guess nobody here can give you some definite information about that.
    Tell your friend to phone the admission office or send them an email.
    But I guess its possible to study for example German and to take some Maths modules.
    Hope that helps but I'm just an applicant so I am not 100 percent sure.
    The best way would be to phone them.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    when do St.Andrews start to give out offers or otherwise? submitted my application mid October;have applied for joint honours - will this delay knowing one way or another even more?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_sandman)
    when do St.Andrews start to give out offers or otherwise? submitted my application mid October;have applied for joint honours - will this delay knowing one way or another even more?!
    St Andrews were the last university to offer me a place.
    And this wasn't until about a week after the deadline for UCAS applications.
    Don't worry about it though, they are just a bit slow.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.