Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terpineol)
    Sorry, in retrospect i flew off the handle a bit there.

If you have any questions after reading the bute website feel free to ask.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Erebus)
    Hi I have a few questions that I am desperate to ask and probably have obvious answers, or links with the answers:

1. Is there a link for accomodation pricing as for some reason I cannot find one?
    2. What are sports like at St Andrews - is there lots of oppourtunity to play them all or do you have to be immense at the ones you play? I only ask because by the time I come to St Andrews (if I am lucky enough) I probably will have stopped playing a lot of things, with the intention to start again at uni.
    3. What is the internet, phone and television like?
    4. How much generally do people live on per week?
    5. A bit of a chauvanistic question, but what are the women like?
    6. Are there a lot of golf courses, with student discounts, and driving ranges?
    7. I am applying for medicine, so which halls are nearest?
    8. Do ensuite rooms go quickly? How much more do they cost? Do all halls have them?
    9. How easy is it to get a part time job in the area?
    10. How much more does catered accommodation cost? Is it worth it?

Seriously, even iy anyone can only answer oone of these it will be of great help.

I also have a few medicine specific questions, so if there is anyone here who is studying medicine, and is willing to answer them, please let me know.

thanks guys.
    1. You can find the residence fees for next year here. As the site notes, they do not include hall subscriptions but they're generally between £70-90 on top of the amount listed.

2. I do not play many sports but I think pretty much all sports run the gamut from absolute beginner to competitive. I tried archery with no prior experience, and there was the possibility of competitions. Perhaps someone with broader experience of the sports facilities can be of more help here.

3. In residences, the internet is quick for the most part and I've yet to have it fail in any way. It is, however, very restrictive. You will be unable to use P2P programs, BitTorrent, or connect to any games that require ports (so no Xbox Live, World of Warcraft, etc.) The IT service will not open ports for you.

All rooms in the university have a phone, with incoming calls being free to you (but not the caller, obviously.) If you register with ResTel, you can buy credit to use the phone for outgoing calls. Additionally, you can call university extensions and people in the same hall as you without registering, and it costs nothing.

As for television, the catered halls have communal rooms where the television license is paid for by the hall committee. If you have a television in your own room, you will need to pay for it. This is the case even if you room comes with a television (I *think* New Hall rooms come with televisions, but I'm sure the New Hall residents on this forum can correct me if I am wrong.)

4. There's no pretending St Andrews isn't an expensive place, but this question is hard to answer simply because it depends what you're like and where you live. If you get out drinking most evenings, you'll find it quite expensive. Likewise, if you're in Fife or Albany Park and buy in bulk it can be pretty cheap. Essentially the only way you can answer this is to work out the kind of things you're likely to do in a week, look at the price of some possible textbooks, etc.

5. Hardly my area of expertise, but just the same as anywhere else from what I can tell (shockingly)

6. Being St Andrews, yes there are plenty of golf courses, and with student discounts. Not being a golfer, someone else can probably answer this question better.

7. The closest is probably St Regulus, but since St Andrews is so small it only makes a difference if you're in quite a far hall like Fife Park or David Russell Apartments (and even then, it's not that far.) I wouldn't concern yourself too much about it, since you can't choose your residence anyway, nor do they seem to pay too much attention to what subject you do. There are quite a few medics where I live (University Hall) despite it being moderately distant from the Bute Medical School.

8. See link in the answer to question 1 for the prices. Not all halls are en-suite or have en-suite rooms; the link to question 1 states which do and do not (New Hall, David Russell, and John Burnet Annexe do.) En-suite rooms do not 'go quicker' - as far as I know, most people are successful in achieving the general type of accommodation they wish to go to, if not successful in gaining accommodation in the particular residence they wanted.

9. There is, as you'd imagine, a lot of work available in hotels and the like. I wouldn't say it's particularly hard, but I'd get in there early; I know a lot of folks who got halfway through the first semester, realised they needed money, and then struggled to find a job.

10. As before see the link on page one. It's up to you whether you think it's worth it; food quality is not superb, but from some perspectives the time it saves is invaluable. One thing to consider about catered is that it can often mean you have to go back to hall at lunch or in the evening to get dinner; if you live a little out of town and want to work in the library, this can be a bit of a timewaster. If you have dietary requirements beyond vegetarianism (including halal/vegan), or are a fussy eater, go self-catered. Unfortunately, there is a bit of dichotomy with self-catered residences in that they are either very cheap and relatively grim (Fife, Albany), or David Russell Apartments which is very nice but almost as much as a catered hall. You'll also note all of the above are not in the centre of town.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jormungandr)
    1. You can find the residence fees for next year here. As the site notes, they do not include hall subscriptions but they're generally between £70-90 on top of the amount listed.

2. I do not play many sports but I think pretty much all sports run the gamut from absolute beginner to competitive. I tried archery with no prior experience, and there was the possibility of competitions. Perhaps someone with broader experience of the sports facilities can be of more help here.

3. In residences, the internet is quick for the most part and I've yet to have it fail in any way. It is, however, very restrictive. You will be unable to use P2P programs, BitTorrent, or connect to any games that require ports (so no Xbox Live, World of Warcraft, etc.) The IT service will not open ports for you.

All rooms in the university have a phone, with incoming calls being free to you (but not the caller, obviously.) If you register with ResTel, you can buy credit to use the phone for outgoing calls. Additionally, you can call university extensions and people in the same hall as you without registering, and it costs nothing.

As for television, the catered halls have communal rooms where the television license is paid for by the hall committee. If you have a television in your own room, you will need to pay for it. This is the case even if you room comes with a television (I *think* New Hall rooms come with televisions, but I'm sure the New Hall residents on this forum can correct me if I am wrong.)

4. There's no pretending St Andrews isn't an expensive place, but this question is hard to answer simply because it depends what you're like and where you live. If you get out drinking most evenings, you'll find it quite expensive. Likewise, if you're in Fife or Albany Park and buy in bulk it can be pretty cheap. Essentially the only way you can answer this is to work out the kind of things you're likely to do in a week, look at the price of some possible textbooks, etc.

5. Hardly my area of expertise, but just the same as anywhere else from what I can tell (shockingly)

6. Being St Andrews, yes there are plenty of golf courses, and with student discounts. Not being a golfer, someone else can probably answer this question better.

7. The closest is probably St Regulus, but since St Andrews is so small it only makes a difference if you're in quite a far hall like Fife Park or David Russell Apartments (and even then, it's not that far.) I wouldn't concern yourself too much about it, since you can't choose your residence anyway, nor do they seem to pay too much attention to what subject you do. There are quite a few medics where I live (University Hall) despite it being moderately distant from the Bute Medical School.

8. See link in the answer to question 1 for the prices. Not all halls are en-suite or have en-suite rooms; the link to question 1 states which do and do not (New Hall, David Russell, and John Burnet Annexe do.) En-suite rooms do not 'go quicker' - as far as I know, most people are successful in achieving the general type of accommodation they wish to go to, if not successful in gaining accommodation in the particular residence they wanted.

9. There is, as you'd imagine, a lot of work available in hotels and the like. I wouldn't say it's particularly hard, but I'd get in there early; I know a lot of folks who got halfway through the first semester, realised they needed money, and then struggled to find a job.

10. As before see the link on page one. It's up to you whether you think it's worth it; food quality is not superb, but from some perspectives the time it saves is invaluable. One thing to consider about catered is that it can often mean you have to go back to hall at lunch or in the evening to get dinner; if you live a little out of town and want to work in the library, this can be a bit of a timewaster. If you have dietary requirements beyond vegetarianism (including halal/vegan), or are a fussy eater, go self-catered. Unfortunately, there is a bit of dichotomy with self-catered residences in that they are either very cheap and relatively grim (Fife, Albany), or David Russell Apartments which is very nice but almost as much as a catered hall. You'll also note all of the above are not in the centre of town.
    Yeah New Hall has tv's in every room.
    And you can play world of warcraft or starcraft or any other online or lan based game in the computer room, no firewall there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bucky!)
    If you're asking whether St Andrews has a golf course...

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/visiting/GolfinStAndrews/

Am I correct in saying if you have a links ticket that includes the Old Course, then you still have to go into the public ballot to get a tee time?
    I think he was asking more about being able to play on the courses and stuff. I know very little about golf, and talk slight delight in the irony of combining that lack of knowledge with living in St A's.

Also, you can't rely on getting into the cheapest halls, particularly given that Fife Park, the cheapest, is going to be replaced with more DRA-style accommodation. However, if you do manage to find cheap accommodation, it's not impossible to manage on a relatively low budget.

ReputationRep:

.... Mwaha. I know how to do it from your room /lovesWoW

ReputationRep:
    How much do people end up actually end up paying for accommodation. I am looking on this link http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/students...residencefees/ , but are there a lot more costs on top of these?

EDIT - What is a hall subscription?

ReputationRep:
    The hall subscription is a compulsory fee that the hall committee sets [hence it is not always included in the overall hall fees] and uses to fund events, e.g. barbeques, a hall ball, pre-bop parties etc. I'm not sure how much they are... mine was £50 in first year.

ReputationRep:
    Is there any information regarding on the graduate prospects for MA Economics & Philosophy in St Andrews?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I was just wondering what John Burnet Annexe is like?? I'm currently trying to work out accommodation for next year, and I'm thinking I want somewhere closer to town than DRA so was looking at John Burnet Annexe because its close to the golf courses (my main priority!), situated well (its closer to town than New Hall right?) and has en-suite...but on the downside it is a HUGE amount of money!!!! But with the fee for DRA and the added food its not a huge amount less than catered en-suite...but anyway, I've never met anyone from the annexe (there are only 36 of them I suppose!), and I've only met two from John Burnet Hall so don't have much idea!
    Oh and whats the chances of not getting a place next year, they say that we may be unsuccessful but I've never heard of a returning student not being given a place (plus that would royally screw eveything up because all the houses would have gone by then too!)...I know this is a long shot but can we submit more than one application, I think I already know the answer but may as well ask lol!

Oh plus, if anyone has any questions about golf, the courses, the practice centre, the Uni golf clubs and/or instruction, then please feel free to PM me as I maybe able to help! I do play a lot of golf lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wasps26)
    Hey guys, I was just wondering what John Burnet Annexe is like?? I'm currently trying to work out accommodation for next year, and I'm thinking I want somewhere closer to town than DRA so was looking at John Burnet Annexe because its close to the golf courses (my main priority!), situated well (its closer to town than New Hall right?) and has en-suite...but on the downside it is a HUGE amount of money!!!! But with the fee for DRA and the added food its not a huge amount less than catered en-suite...but anyway, I've never met anyone from the annexe (there are only 36 of them I suppose!), and I've only met two from John Burnet Hall so don't have much idea!
    Oh and whats the chances of not getting a place next year, they say that we may be unsuccessful but I've never heard of a returning student not being given a place (plus that would royally screw eveything up because all the houses would have gone by then too!)...I know this is a long shot but can we submit more than one application, I think I already know the answer but may as well ask lol!

Oh plus, if anyone has any questions about golf, the courses, the practice centre, the Uni golf clubs and/or instruction, then please feel free to PM me as I maybe able to help! I do play a lot of golf lol!
    The Annexe is closer to town than New Hall, I would say about 5 mins or so. And from what I hear you can apply to more than one accommodation, hell you can apply to all of them if you want. I've applied to DRA and I'm also planning to apply to New Hall again. It would be the worse thing ever if we were homeless next year... :eek:

ReputationRep:
    *has a flat right in the centre of town for next year*

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've applied for direct entry to second year Maths and Theoretical Physics. My friend has got an email saying that he's likely to get an offer onto the Physics course. Should I be worried that I haven't heard anything? Also, I've done maths and I'm now doing further maths and physics (plus music), having dropped chem last year. It doesn't say anywhere in the physics information that I needed chemistry A-level, but is it likely I'm going to be rejected without it? Does anyone do this course without having done chemistry?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flashphotographer)
    The Annexe is closer to town than New Hall, I would say about 5 mins or so. And from what I hear you can apply to more than one accommodation, hell you can apply to all of them if you want. I've applied to DRA and I'm also planning to apply to New Hall again. It would be the worse thing ever if we were homeless next year... :eek:
    I think I'm going to go for John Burnet Hall instead now, that £6130 residence fee is just too much to stomach especially if I'm coming back in the summer for the Open! But anyway...can we really apply more than once??!! Seriously?! I thought we were only allowed to apply once!!
    Ooo ok, where else to apply, shall I go safe and go for DRA again or should I go for somewhere pretty and central like MaccyTs or Sallies hhhmmm...
    God, I know! Imagine getting that e-mail in March saying that we haven't got a room...PANIC!!! :eek:

EDIT: Oh and Bella...*Jealous*!! Glad to hear you got somewhere though!! Do tell me if you happen to have a room free summer of 2010!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wasps26)
    EDIT: Oh and Bella...*Jealous*!! Glad to hear you got somewhere though!! Do tell me if you happen to have a room free summer of 2010!!
    Haha, thanks ... fraid not, as my lease ends June 30th, but if you want a room between the end of term and then you're welcome to it :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella_trixxx)
    Haha, thanks ... fraid not, as my lease ends June 30th, but if you want a room between the end of term and then you're welcome to it :P
    Damn it! The Open's in July! But thank you for the offer anyway!

Just found out that actually you can't apply to different halls, you're only able to have one application per academic session (in our case 09/10)...fingers crossed I'll get a nice big room in John Burnet ovelooking the old course lol! I'm a bit scared because I'm bound to be at a disadvantage having not lived there before...aaaah well, we'll see what happens!!

ReputationRep:
    :eek: WASPS!!! You're not applying to MaccyT's!! :mad:

FINE! You can just find another MaccyT friend to let you in the front door then!
    Humph! :sigh:

(Also has a sexy townhouse right in the centre of town! Hi-5 Bella! :p: )

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I'm an offer-holder for entry in September and have had the accommodation pack thing through, and am now second-guessing what to put on the accommodation application form

Does anyone know how much emphasis they place on them with pairing room-mates/flatmates together? I'm not sure what to write in the 'hobbies and interests' section, as I don't particularly want to be with people who like the same things as me! I might just leave it blank..

Also, do people generally get their 1st/2nd choice of accommodation? I'm really anxious about sharing bathrooms, so I desperately want an ensuite room, but I bet lots of people apply for ensuites...It says too that I won't be allocated any accommodation until after results day - does this mean I'm more likely to get accommodation that I don't want? My mum suggested filling it in order of halls I don't want rather than my preference, but I think that might be taking it a bit too far!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly Unsightly)
    Hi everyone! I'm an offer-holder for entry in September and have had the accommodation pack thing through, and am now second-guessing what to put on the accommodation application form

Does anyone know how much emphasis they place on them with pairing room-mates/flatmates together? I'm not sure what to write in the 'hobbies and interests' section, as I don't particularly want to be with people who like the same things as me! I might just leave it blank..

Also, do people generally get their 1st/2nd choice of accommodation? I'm really anxious about sharing bathrooms, so I desperately want an ensuite room, but I bet lots of people apply for ensuites...It says too that I won't be allocated any accommodation until after results day - does this mean I'm more likely to get accommodation that I don't want? My mum suggested filling it in order of halls I don't want rather than my preference, but I think that might be taking it a bit too far!
    I never got the impression they paired people up too much, and they would be foolish to match up all your interests. They have to appreciate that people will want a life separate from that of their room mate. If they find a girl who says she likes cross stitch, and another who likes raves, they shouldn't really make them share a room, but they wouldn't go looking for someone else who likes doing cross stitch for the first girl to share with. Maybe just someone whose interests and lifestyle are more compatible.
    So: I suggest you write down something to give an impression of the kind of person you are. If they know nothing about you, they might match you up with a room mate you'll have nothing in common with at all.

I'm also quite sure they allocate accommodation fairly, i.e. just because you get an offer sooner doesn't mean you have an advantage. They keep aside a certain number of rooms in each hall for returning students, and will have similar ratios in place to make sure they have a good balance of students with unconditionals and conditionals.
    How exactly does the form phrase its questions? A sentence like, 'I would really like a shared, ensuite room in catered accommodation, so <this hall> or perhaps <that hall> would be fantastic' would communicate to them which halls you want, but also what facilities you prefer.
    It seems silly to outline those preferences, then say 'and I really really really don't want to be in Albany Park', because Albany is the complete opposite of all your preferences they're already aware of. It's probably clearer for the person recieving the form to see what you want, rather than a mix of yays and nays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
    I never got the impression they paired people up too much, and they would be foolish to match up all your interests. They have to appreciate that people will want a life separate from that of their room mate. If they find a girl who says she likes cross stitch, and another who likes raves, they shouldn't really make them share a room, but they wouldn't go looking for someone else who likes doing cross stitch for the first girl to share with. Maybe just someone whose interests and lifestyle are more compatible.
    So: I suggest you write down something to give an impression of the kind of person you are. If they know nothing about you, they might match you up with a room mate you'll have nothing in common with at all.

I'm also quite sure they allocate accommodation fairly, i.e. just because you get an offer sooner doesn't mean you have an advantage. They keep aside a certain number of rooms in each hall for returning students, and will have similar ratios in place to make sure they have a good balance of students with unconditionals and conditionals.
    How exactly does the form phrase its questions? A sentence like, 'I would really like a shared, ensuite room in catered accommodation, so <this hall> or perhaps <that hall> would be fantastic' would communicate to them which halls you want, but also what facilities you prefer.
    It seems silly to outline those preferences, then say 'and I really really really don't want to be in Albany Park', because Albany is the complete opposite of all your preferences they're already aware of. It's probably clearer for the person recieving the form to see what you want, rather than a mix of yays and nays.
    Thank you for your advice! :o:

It basically just says 'standard accom. catered / standard self-catered / ensuite catered / ensuite self-catered' with numbers by each one, and you number the boxes 1-4 in order of your preference - so there's no room for writing specifics!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly Unsightly)
    Thank you for your advice! :o:

It basically just says 'standard accom. catered / standard self-catered / ensuite catered / ensuite self-catered' with numbers by each one, and you number the boxes 1-4 in order of your preference - so there's no room for writing specifics!
    Hmm, that sucks. Maybe they got sick of people writing little essays about how much they want to have a certain kind of accommodation Is there no space on the form at all for additional comments?

I guess you need to just use the numbering system thingy to communicate how much you really-really want an ensuite. The halls with ensuites are quite expensive, so people who are a bit apathetic about that kind of thing would probably tend to steer clear of ensuite accommodation unless they're loaded. On the one hand, you would have to pay more for it, but on the other hand, the higher prices deter people from going, 'Hmm, yeah, an ensuite, why not?'.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.