St Andrews - Ask A Current Student Thread Watch

sophie_c
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Wasps26)
I cannot believe how much Uni accom has gone up by though!!! Its horrific!! Its beyond a joke now, even the most affluent students would find it difficult to cough up the £4700 for self-catered en-suite, let alone the bloody £6200 for catered en-suite...its a shame because I was really hoping that I might be able to go into catered en-suite for my 3rd/4th years, as I'd be spending less because I'd be doing more work, leaving me money to spend on accom but I would have just about been able to pay the rates that they're charging this year, but next years rates, there's just no way I could afford that....but I'm grateful, because I realise I'm lucky compared to some, they're really isn't anything left for those who are looking for something below £4000 mark....especially when they finally knock down FP (which I hear has been put back again??)...
I know it's getting really quite scary! Can't believe after next yr, Fife Park won;t be an option either, its ridiculous! I've applied for Albany Park with some friends for 2nd yr, dunno what to do if we don't get it.. lol
aah i'm sure everything'll work out! they'll have to help people if they can't afford the accomm surely??!!
ExDeusVenitBritannia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
This is for the language students studying at a university in their year abroad: what can you study at your chosen university? Could it be anything that the university offers or does it have to be something you're studying at St Andrews? And does it cost the normal St A's fees to study at that university?

Thanks guys.

EDVB
sophie_c
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ExDeusVenitBritannia)
This is for the language students studying at a university in their year abroad: what can you study at your chosen university? Could it be anything that the university offers or does it have to be something you're studying at St Andrews? And does it cost the normal St A's fees to study at that university?

Thanks guys.

EDVB
Ok, I don't know too much about this yet, so please if someone else sees I;m wrong, please tell me! I'm hoping to do my 3rd year abroad (for french). You can either do the year abroad studying at a foreign uni, or you can work. If you are going to a uni for the yr abroad, that counts as your 3rd year, so you have to get the grades etc (a lot of pressure considering you're being taught in a different language and the course is designed for native speakers), and so i guess you have to do your degree subject... (so yr abroad at a uni = a 4yr course)...buttt, if you work for your year abroad, it's more like taking a year out, so then you'd come back to St Andrews for your 3rd and 4th years...so then it's a 5 yr course...
sorry, not too sure about the fees etc...
GretaGarboSuperga
Report 9 years ago
Is there some kind of drama society or a students association that organizes theatre courses for students? A University theatre company?

And then...nobody really want to meet me and show me St Andrews?
I'm the Italian who wrote some pages ago, I'll be in St Andrews the 22nd of February... I'd love to hear someone's experience, learn more about studying there and meet a scottish student!
terpineol
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by GretaGarboSuperga)
Is there some kind of drama society or a students association that organizes theatre courses for students? A University theatre company?

And then...nobody really want to meet me and show me St Andrews?
I'm the Italian who wrote some pages ago, I'll be in St Andrews the 22nd of February... I'd love to hear someone's experience, learn more about studying there and meet a scottish student!
Yes there is, they are currently doing auditions for jerry springer the opera (I believe this is the first run of it by such a group). They are pretty active.

You'll struggle to find a scottish student in st andrews, but I don't mind showing you around if its a quiet day.
Sammerz
Report 9 years ago
FOR ANYONE AT ST ANDREWS WHO DOES PHILOSOPHY!

I'm finding it difficult to choose between durham and st andrews at the moment, but as of yet I've never actually visited st andrews...so might have to do that quite soon :/

But in terms of the philosophy course, is it mostly analytic, if only analytic? And is there any continental philosophy involved in any of the modules?

Also, do you know if modules like philosophy of science and philosophy of religion especially are available...because the thing is, I've noticed that durham have way more choice in philosophy modules, whereas st andrews have more choice in modules in any subject! So I don't know if I would prefer doing more subjects, or doing philosophy modules I prefer - it's tough!
terpineol
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sammerz)
FOR ANYONE AT ST ANDREWS WHO DOES PHILOSOPHY!

I'm finding it difficult to choose between durham and st andrews at the moment, but as of yet I've never actually visited st andrews...so might have to do that quite soon :/

But in terms of the philosophy course, is it mostly analytic, if only analytic? And is there any continental philosophy involved in any of the modules?

Also, do you know if modules like philosophy of science and philosophy of religion especially are available...because the thing is, I've noticed that durham have way more choice in philosophy modules, whereas st andrews have more choice in modules in any subject! So I don't know if I would prefer doing more subjects, or doing philosophy modules I prefer - it's tough!

Pretty much this question was answered a while back in a specific thread I think. Have a search.
Sammerz
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by terpineol)
Pretty much this question was answered a while back in a specific thread I think. Have a search.
Really? Oops lol. Thanks.
ImperceptibleNinja
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by terpineol)
Yes there is, they are currently doing auditions for jerry springer the opera (I believe this is the first run of it by such a group). They are pretty active.

You'll struggle to find a scottish student in st andrews, but I don't mind showing you around if its a quiet day.
I'm a Scottish student! :woo:
Not that you'd guess I am...

I'm working on the evening of the 22nd, but would be happy to meet up earlier in the day.
Biochem
Report 9 years ago
When do biology aplicants usually hear from St andrews??
tesco4life
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Biochem)
When do biology aplicants usually hear from St andrews??
Hey, I just got in from school and I have an unconditional!
Have you had any other offers?
dragon500uk
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There are loads of scottish students here What are you talking about? it's scotland for goodness sake! We're awfully territorial
helliott7
Report 9 years ago
I have a medical interview for st andrews on the 5th of march. Can anyone give me any tips or advice as to what i'll be asked. I also applied to st andrews for maths with physics as my back up. does anyone know when we'll be told roughly?

Hamish
Biochem
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by tesco4life)
Hey, I just got in from school and I have an unconditional!
Have you had any other offers?
What!! For a biology course in St.Andrews?? Well done them you must be chuft. I've got offers from 3 unis and i've got an interview for bristol but i've heard nothing from St. Andrews it's all in my sig (unless i've stuffed it up).
tesco4life
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Biochem)
What!! For a biology course in St.Andrews?? Well done them you must be chuft. I've got offers from 3 unis and i've got an interview for bristol but i've heard nothing from St. Andrews it's all in my sig (unless i've stuffed it up).

Yeah for Biology! I'm sure you'll hear soon.
Thanks, I am really chuffed! Is St.Andrews your first choice?
shellyholmes
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sophie_c)
I know it's getting really quite scary! Can't believe after next yr, Fife Park won;t be an option either, its ridiculous! I've applied for Albany Park with some friends for 2nd yr, dunno what to do if we don't get it.. lol
aah i'm sure everything'll work out! they'll have to help people if they can't afford the accomm surely??!!
me too! they tell us in march don't they? Are you in fp at the mo?
interllectuallity
Report 9 years ago
hey, i read somewhere that you can't say on the accommodation form what accommodation you want whether its DRA or New Hall , or whether you want a shared room, en suite or standard?
Is this true ? because what happens if i get a en suite and cant aford it , its like twice the price of a standard room especially in DRA etc
Jormungandr
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by interllectuallity)
hey, i read somewhere that you can't say on the accommodation form what accommodation you want whether its DRA or New Hall , or whether you want a shared room, en suite or standard?
Is this true ? because what happens if i get a en suite and cant aford it , its like twice the price of a standard room especially in DRA etc
You cannot state the hall you want (though some have had success with writing it on the form anyway), but you can choose if you want self-catered/en-suite. In some cases this gives you a very good chance of ending up in a certain hall. Most people get into the band they are looking for, so I wouldn't worry too much.

You also cannot choose whether you're in a shared or single room, though if you really don't want to be in a shared room just say so on the form.
interllectuallity
Report 9 years ago
ok thats seems reasonable thanks alot
Oogamy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Does the university enforce any differences between the modules available for the biochemistry, molecular biology and cell biology degree programmes?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1648)
78.78%
Leave (444)
21.22%

Watched Threads