Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Another question.

Where can I find the application to apply directly to Medicine?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Should be here I think: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/admissio...tapplications/

ReputationRep:
    Nope, it says that you have to apply for Medicine through UCAS..
    There has to be a way to apply directly, right..

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I've applied for a Bsc in Biology and got an unconditional offer. How easy do you think it would be to switch into a Masters and how would I go about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tesco4life)
    Hey,
    I've applied for a Bsc in Biology and got an unconditional offer. How easy do you think it would be to switch into a Masters and how would I go about it?

Heya,

plenty of time to do that, you actually wont need to decide until end of second year, where even those who were signed up for masters wont be allowed to take masters if they didnt pass the exams at a certain grade, so really, there is no hurry, and no need to do anything now, as switch between masters and bsc is the easiest change, as far as I know.

Hope it helps

ReputationRep:
    Biology dont do masters?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pestofesto)
    Nope, it says that you have to apply for Medicine through UCAS..
    There has to be a way to apply directly, right..
    It may be different for internationals, however within the UK you can only apply through UCAS, its essentially an external body that tries to keep everything fair.

I'm pretty certain internationals have to go through UCAS though.

ReputationRep:
    It also might be specific to medicine, since the NHS will be providing part of your education (clinical placements), so they want to give everybody and equal chance, and also UCAS includes criminal records information, although you will have to have an additional criminal record check before starting a course

ReputationRep:
    Hm. That's odd though.
    'Cause I know someone that applied from the US directly to Medicine.

I'll check it out.
    Thanks guys!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    From the page I linked to:
    Applicants to the Faculty of Medicine.
    If you are applying to the Faculty of Medicine, you should have studied Chemistry to AP level (score of 4 or 5) or equivalent, plus at least one other science subject (Biology, Physics or Maths). All applicants must arrange to take the UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT). The exam is administered world-wide and there are many registered venues to choose from. The deadline for all applicants (including international students) taking the test is September in the year prior to the year of course entry. For further information please check the Faculty of Medicine webpage.
    I see no mention of UCAS there?? Am I going blind?

ReputationRep:
    But when you go to the Medicine website and go to the applying section it says check out UCAS for application and everything. See it?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hmm, email medicine admissions. I'd just assumed it was the same direct applicants form that everyone else uses, but maybe not.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i was wanted to know if any current students got in on AHs as i got rejected for Maths and Logic and Philosophy of Science this year but i'm set to hopefully get AAA at my AHs so hoping to get in next year after a gap year. I got crap SGs - only 5 credit - and only did 4 highers - AAAC - btw and the AH are maths, chemistry and physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJ99)
    Hi, i was wanted to know if any current students got in on AHs as i got rejected for Maths and Logic and Philosophy of Science this year but i'm set to hopefully get AAA at my AHs so hoping to get in next year after a gap year. I got crap SGs - only 5 credit - and only did 4 highers - AAAC - btw and the AH are maths, chemistry and physics.
    St Andrews usually bases offers only on highers and they see advanced highers as a bonus, the 1 C may prevent you getting an offer based solely on your highers but even 1 A at advanced higher would likely be enough to meet most offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeeeevo)
    St Andrews usually bases offers only on highers and they see advanced highers as a bonus, the 1 C may prevent you getting an offer based solely on your highers but even 1 A at advanced higher would likely be enough to meet most offers.
    So if i get AAA i should have no problem then.
    *grabs books*
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I moved to Scotland about two years ago (the beginning of fifth year) I was wondering if anyone knew what I do regarding tuition fees.

SAAS website is confusing

Will SAAS pay my tuition fees even though i will have been living in Scotland for two years? In the St. Andrews booklet they sent me it says you have to be resident in scotland for three years prior to higher education but from what I can make out on SAAS if you currently live in Scotland and have lived in the Uk for three years they will pay them for you...

Can anyone shed some light on this situation please..
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Call SAAS...

ReputationRep:
    Bit random but...

anyone know of local kayaking/ rock climbing possibilities? Preferably white water kyaking... sorry random question, would be very grateful if anyone knew? :]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Histrionics)
    Bit random but...

anyone know of local kayaking/ rock climbing possibilities? Preferably white water kyaking... sorry random question, would be very grateful if anyone knew? :]
    Hey you could check out the St Andrews webpage.
    http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/sport/au/Sportsclubs/
    Theyve a list of all sports clubs!

Btw does somebody know the skydiving facilities in St Andrews.
    I know that there is a drop zone near St Andrews but it would be cool to know if there are any skydivers currently studying in St Andrews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Histrionics)
    Bit random but...

We have a mountaineering society. We climb the indoor wall at the sports centre which is limited, but then there are weekly trips to Dundee's wall, as well as trips every week to somewhere in Scotland, whether it's hill walking or ice climbing. Or somewhere in between

Here's the site:

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/sport/au...ountaineering/

Hope it helps.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.