Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oogamy)

The Glaswegian accent is the standard against which all others are compared. They're the deviants.
    Like this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scNLf...eature=related

lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxy)
    Do you have a slightly diff accent like the weigies do? haha
    haha! well apparently Invernessians had the best queens english in the UK... dunno how that happened, but still pretty cool!
    I unfortunately don't have a very distinctive accent, a lot of people from Scotland say I sound English, and english have said I sound Scottish... ??? urgh... I mean I've always lived in the Inverness area so...i'm just messed up i guess!

But yeh there is an Invernessian accent, nothing too exciting, ummm example wud be kinda something along the lines of "aye, ye wanteeen ah cappa tea like eh?", "wits th' craic?" lol...

I think when I'm at uni I sounds even more English cos of it rubbing off of everyone else lol...but still have the scottish 'r's and 'ch's ive been told... hahah ...when back home revert more into invernessian mode!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie_c)
    haha! well apparently Invernessians had the best queens english in the UK... dunno how that happened, but still pretty cool!
    I unfortunately don't have a very distinctive accent, a lot of people from Scotland say I sound English, and english have said I sound Scottish... ??? urgh... I mean I've always lived in the Inverness area so...i'm just messed up i guess!

But yeh there is an Invernessian accent, nothing too exciting, ummm example wud be kinda something along the lines of "aye, ye wanteeen ah cappa tea like eh?", "wits th' craic?" lol...

I think when I'm at uni I sounds even more English cos of it rubbing off of everyone else lol...but still have the scottish 'r's and 'ch's ive been told... hahah ...when back home revert more into invernessian mode!
    Hehe, I get his too. I've no idea what happened to my accent, but apparently having English parents and living in Ayrshire then moving to St Andrews and having a room-mate from Cornwall is THE BEST way of getting a seriously messed up accent. I'm some Wirral-Cornwall-Ayrshire hybrid now :eek3: And my parents aren't even from near Liverpool... :confused:

Edit: We should also mention the Irish, Austrailian, German, and ever-so-English accents of flatmates past and present xD No wonder I can't talk normally anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
    Hehe, I get his too. I've no idea what happened to my accent, but apparently having English parents and living in Ayrshire then moving to St Andrews and having a room-mate from Cornwall is THE BEST way of getting a seriously messed up accent. I'm some Wirral-Cornwall-Ayrshire hybrid now :eek3: And my parents aren't even from near Liverpool... :confused:

Edit: We should also mention the Irish, Austrailian, German, and ever-so-English accents of flatmates past and present xD No wonder I can't talk normally anymore.
    Hahaha yeh! My dad is English... from Lancashire... and there's no way that's my "English" accent haha!

Even my French teacher can't get it into her head that Im Scottish... she's convinced I live in England, despite the fact that I live the furthest North in the whole class...fun times!!!

Ohh...flatmates next year are going to be: a Cornish, a Londoner, someone from Sheffield, a Czech, another girl from near Inverness, but she went to a boarding school so her accent has all but disappeared.... haha don't think I'm going to have much luck in keeping up good old Invernessian! It's going to be amazing fun though! Cant wait!!!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any experience with accommodation when choosing St Andrews as insurance? There's a good chance Durham will reject me, because I am going to miss my offer... and I am really worried about accomodation.

ReputationRep:

Ah my ex was like that, she didnt have a strong accent at all (didnt sound to scottish), but her dad had a strong accent and used slang all the time so i could never understand him. I get what you mean. I gots a Brightonian accent! Brap! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zenobia)
    Does anyone have any experience with accommodation when choosing St Andrews as insurance? There's a good chance Durham will reject me, because I am going to miss my offer... and I am really worried about accomodation.
    I'm not sure how the university aims to handle accommodation for students choosing it as their insurance. Usually, you get a lot of returning students getting houses or flats in town, and then in halls, you get a mix of freshers and returning students.
    Last year, the uni basically accepted more students than there was room for, so I think people ended up living in Dundee and travelling in. They're aware that they can't mess up the accommodation like they did last year, and this has impacted the current students - apparently 500 people have been rejected from halls. Last time I checked the letting services in town, there was one house [for four 4th year girls, at £110 per person per week :woo: ], and although they keep on releasing dates when new lists will be out, I kept on checking them, and there was nothing new. Essentially, by increasing the number of students and trying not to overload the university accommodation, the town accommodation has been overloaded instead. People are already having to search for accommodation outwith the town, according to my flatmate. I also have friends in the Lower Rents coalition who give flyers to people at open days [and their parents...], almost warning them that this place is running out of accommodation for its students, the prices in town are being driven up, and the univeristy is planning to get rid of its 'embarassing' affordable [and, yes, run down] accommodation, with plans to replace it with accommodation that will cost almost certainly literally twice the price.

I hate telling you that, but if you're worried about accommodation, I don't want to sit here telling you it's all sunshine and fluffy bunny rabbits. Hopefully with enough pressure from the current students, the situation will improve, but housing is an issue.
    I imagine they try to keep some space in halls for students who choose them as their insurance - and it looks like this year, they're more aware of keeping enough space in halls to accomodate them all. But there's no certainty in that.

This is such a bleak, angry post... I'm sorry. If you want me to keep on rantign with more about why the university is doing this, then I'm pretty sure I could do that :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxy)
    Like this guy
    I had a feeling you'd bring him up. Hilarious!

I'm willing to bet sophie sounds more like this. If you can understand it, I'll be impressed.

ReputationRep:

I'm willing to bet sophie sounds more like this. If you can understand it, I'll be impressed.
    I'm fairly certain thats more dundonian, especially if the academy is supposed to be in carnoustie.

Its not that hard to understand (you'll find far far worse if you head out round levenmouth), but you'll not find anything like that in st-andrews.

ReputationRep:

OMG I didnt understand a single word

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
    I'm not sure how the university aims to handle accommodation for students choosing it as their insurance. Usually, you get a lot of returning students getting houses or flats in town, and then in halls, you get a mix of freshers and returning students.
    Last year, the uni basically accepted more students than there was room for, so I think people ended up living in Dundee and travelling in. They're aware that they can't mess up the accommodation like they did last year, and this has impacted the current students - apparently 500 people have been rejected from halls. Last time I checked the letting services in town, there was one house [for four 4th year girls, at £110 per person per week :woo: ], and although they keep on releasing dates when new lists will be out, I kept on checking them, and there was nothing new. Essentially, by increasing the number of students and trying not to overload the university accommodation, the town accommodation has been overloaded instead. People are already having to search for accommodation outwith the town, according to my flatmate. I also have friends in the Lower Rents coalition who give flyers to people at open days [and their parents...], almost warning them that this place is running out of accommodation for its students, the prices in town are being driven up, and the univeristy is planning to get rid of its 'embarassing' affordable [and, yes, run down] accommodation, with plans to replace it with accommodation that will cost almost certainly literally twice the price.

I hate telling you that, but if you're worried about accommodation, I don't want to sit here telling you it's all sunshine and fluffy bunny rabbits. Hopefully with enough pressure from the current students, the situation will improve, but housing is an issue.
    I imagine they try to keep some space in halls for students who choose them as their insurance - and it looks like this year, they're more aware of keeping enough space in halls to accomodate them all. But there's no certainty in that.

This is such a bleak, angry post... I'm sorry. If you want me to keep on rantign with more about why the university is doing this, then I'm pretty sure I could do that :p:
    Thanks for the detailed reply!
    So what do you think would happen to me? I'd have to find a place to live outside of St Andrews? Would that be loads more expensive, and would it be very far/expensive to travel every day?
    Also does any kind of preferation matter? Like, I'd actually choose self-catering over catered (and I think most people choose catered?) if I had the choice.

My other option is choosing Bristol as insurance, but I'd rather live in a small village outside St Andrews than in a far off, dark alleyway in a big city. (Since I'd have the same problem with accomodation there.)
    The upside is that I am actually able to meet my Bristol offer. But I am hoping St Andrews will negotiate their ridiculous conditions, so the low offer doesn't make me lean a lot towards Bristol. Besides St Andrews is better for me in a lot of ways (being an international student, for one).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zenobia)
    Thanks for the detailed reply!
    So what do you think would happen to me? I'd have to find a place to live outside of St Andrews? Would that be loads more expensive, and would it be very far/expensive to travel every day?
    Also does any kind of preferation matter? Like, I'd actually choose self-catering over catered (and I think most people choose catered?) if I had the choice.

My other option is choosing Bristol as insurance, but I'd rather live in a small village outside St Andrews than in a far off, dark alleyway in a big city. (Since I'd have the same problem with accomodation there.)
    The upside is that I am actually able to meet my Bristol offer. But I am hoping St Andrews will negotiate their ridiculous conditions, so the low offer doesn't make me lean a lot towards Bristol. Besides St Andrews is better for me in a lot of ways (being an international student, for one).
    I'm not sure what would happen. Potentially, you could get a place in university accommodation, if they have space. St Andrews is really quite expensive to live in - I'd expect living out of town would probably be cheaper than average, but not necessarily cheaper than some halls. I'd be more concerned about the transport - I think busses to Dundee stop around midnight, and I'm not sure how frequent other bus services are. Dundee isn't too far away, though.
    I'm not sure how perfering self-catered would affect things. The location of the self-catered accommodation isn't so central, so that might be to your advantage.

I don't know what the bus services are like between St A's and local villiages, but I doubt they are really frequent... letting agencies generally say you'd need a car for places out of town, but it probably depends I'm not sure.

Blerrgh, doing tutorials scrambles my brain. I'm just sitting here going, 'I don't know!' to everything now

ReputationRep:

Hahahaha completely wrong area of Scotland I'm afraid! Aberdeen is over 100 miles from me, and even so that sounds nothing like Aberdonian lol! I can understand most of it, but nope I sound nothing like that!
    I found this on a website describing accents and this is what it came up with for Invernessian:
    "some truly Invernessian words here's a few Aye - Ah-ee, rite enough - ry'e eenuff, nuthing - nu'Heen, pure mad mental like - pe-ure mahD men-tal lyK"
    ...otherwise listen to moray firth radio on the internet... Tich McCooey... hate his accent... yeh he's got a not so nice Inverness accent... lol

but yeh like i said, I don't have a strong accent, and people have no trouble understanding me at all!

ReputationRep:
    ... I don't have a strong accent, and people have no trouble understanding me at all!
    I'll need to get a Scot to translate this.

ReputationRep:
    What are you struggling with?

ReputationRep:
    Lol....
    so what's you're accent?

ReputationRep:
    so what's you're accent?
    Glaswegian.

Oh, I know. I'm terrible. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Glaswegian.

Hehe oh I dunno, I kinda like the Glaswegian accent!
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Glaswegian.

*cough*

Weigie power!

*cough* *shuffles away*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragon500uk)
    *cough*

Weigie power!

*cough* *shuffles away*
    My four grandparents were all from Ibrox, but they moved away before my parents were born, and we now live in Switzerland.

I wish I had the weigie accent my grandparents do :/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.