Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ombre_Rouge)
    I have some questions regarding accommodations...

1. Are students supplied with mattresses and furniture?
    2. If I submitted my accommodations form in late April, what are the chances of my receiving my first-choice accommodation conditions (catered, en suite)?
    3. Do students wash their own clothes and sheets, make their own beds, empty their own litter bins, etc. or is there some sort of housekeeping service that performs some of these actions?
    4. Does the University provide rides to and from the airport in Edinburgh?

Thanks for your help!
    To extend M_E_X's answer to 3,
    In hall-style residences, your sheets are always washed every 2 weeks or so, but you are responsible for handing the old ones in and getting the new ones, and putting them on your bed. You do the rest of your laundry yourself. People will come around and empty your bins, hoover the bits of your floor that they can reach, and maybe even wipe down your desk. They also clean all the bathrooms and cooking areas.

In the self-catered houses/flats/apartments, you wash all your stuff by yourself. It costs about £3 to do a wash and dry of a really big load, and all residences have washing machines and dryers somewhere. No-one empties your bins, hoovers your floor, or anything - you are responsible for the state of your kitchen and bathroom, and need to remember to buy loo roll. I sometimes wonder if people realise these things, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
    In the self-catered houses/flats/apartments, you wash all your stuff by yourself. It costs about £3 to do a wash and dry of a really big load, and all residences have washing machines and dryers somewhere. No-one empties your bins, hoovers your floor, or anything - you are responsible for the state of your kitchen and bathroom, and need to remember to buy loo roll. I sometimes wonder if people realise these things, though.
    AAAHHHH Can I bring my maid with me from home? :O lol

I thought it was only the cooking that changed in self-catered. OH WELL.

and yeah, I would love to meet up with you for a beer in June if you're around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yodude888)

Yep, we will be. A swift gentleman's half may well be on the cards.

It sounds like you'll fit right in here, by the way .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yodude888)

:o: Sorry.... it's not so bad when everyone takes a bit of responsibility for cleaning/tidying.

Also, :woo: beer! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Would one typically go up to St As with their parents on the first day of freshers?

I'd imagine most people go up with their parents for the 19th of Sept, get them settled (as that's when I'm told accomodation runs from) and then they leave!
    Freshers isn't until the 21st I am also told.

ReputationRep:
    Most people get the 'rents to drive them up with all their kit, unpack them, do a big food shop, then disappear.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm going up with my mum earlier in september to buy all the stuff I need, then I'll stick it in storage somewhere with a friend in Dundee, then fly up by myself on the 19th!

ReputationRep:
    Looking forward to my 525 mile drive with papa on the 19th

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxy)
    Looking forward to my 525 mile drive with papa on the 19th
    Pfft, I racked up 640 miles on the way up in september.

The distance varies a fair bit according to the satnavs farm fetishes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terpineol)
    Pfft, I racked up 640 miles on the way up in september.

The distance varies a fair bit according to the satnavs farm fetishes.
    how long did it take? I've heard anything from 8 hours to 13 hours lol We are just going to use a map

ReputationRep:
    Lol I'm travelling much further. However I'm TAKING A PLANE

Easyjet to Edinburgh ftw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxy)
    how long did it take? I've heard anything from 8 hours to 13 hours lol We are just going to use a map
    I was very drunk, the car was playing up and didn't want to do much more than 50, and the sat nav kept screaming 'turn left NOW!' putting me down tiny roads to the middle of nowhere.

I think it was about 15 hours.

Its possible to do edinburgh in six hours with some unscrupulous regard for speed limits if there is little traffic.

Once you hit the M6 throw the satnav out the window. When you get to edinburgh follow the signs for the forth bridge, once you are over that follow the signs for st andrews.

ReputationRep:
    What do people usually do when the weather's bad (which I suspect is most of the time :p:)?

ReputationRep:
    Nope not usually most of the time... it is windy most of the time but not rainy . However, just get some Hunters and get on with it!

I would also say get rid of your parents as quickly as possible on the first day as it makes you talk to others and not just 'hide', even if it is just unintentionally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    What do people usually do when the weather's bad (which I suspect is most of the time :p:)?
    Tbh St Andrews doesn't get that bad weather... I've spent the yr mostly in t-shirts (but then, I'm used to worse ). But St Andrews, I've heard, does actually get some of the best weather in mainland Scotland :yep:
    Recently it's been pretty warm and sunny, and so have done quite a bit of studying outside which is always nice!
    When it's not so nice, wrap up, stay inside, it's still easy to have fun! And if you're going out and it's wet, wear a jacket and sensible shoes, you'll dry out once you get there (lectures / pub or whatever!) Th union also has a cloakroom where you can pay 50p I think it is to leave your jackets etc with them whilst you BOP!!!
    But yeh, personally I don't think the weather here is as bad as many make out, atm it is actually really quite hot! My room is boiling despit having the window wide open!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terpineol)
    I was very drunk, the car was playing up and didn't want to do much more than 50, and the sat nav kept screaming 'turn left NOW!' putting me down tiny roads to the middle of nowhere.

I think it was about 15 hours.

Its possible to do edinburgh in six hours with some unscrupulous regard for speed limits if there is little traffic.

Once you hit the M6 throw the satnav out the window. When you get to edinburgh follow the signs for the forth bridge, once you are over that follow the signs for st andrews.

Done some looking about on net, apparently the shortest route is up to M25 then get the M40 to birmingham then M6 toll/M74 between liverpool and manchester all the way upto glasgow. AA route planner says 9 hours

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxy)
    Done some looking about on net, apparently the shortest route is up to M25 then get the M40 to birmingham then M6 toll/M74 between liverpool and manchester all the way upto glasgow. AA route planner says 9 hours
    The M6 toll is nice, and on such a long trip probably worth the cash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie_c)
    I never even realised there was a freshers week meet...oops...
    :eek: :eek3: :eek: Egads!
    I made a new thread for it last time. In the future, would it be worthwhile 'advertising' that thread in this one and the chat thread, so that regulars know about it, even if they don't check the main St A's forum? How can we reach youuuuu?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    I'm actually looking forward to a large increase of the quality of weather i'm used to :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 15, 2019
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.