Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, do you have any experience with the storage companies here in st andrews? either the bigspace or kinkell? If yes please share, because I am finding it hard to decide since I know that kinkell storage does not provide insurance and bigspace has problem with delivering boxes back sooner than mid september. Thanks

This is going to sound a little strange, but how do 'academic parents' choose you ha ha?
    And, how much academic family incest is there :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexandra1234567)
    This is going to sound a little strange, but how do 'academic parents' choose you ha ha?
    Most people meet their academic parents during Freshers' Week. If you know people in years above you, they might have friends who are looking for 'children'. Otherwise you just meet them at the Union, in the pub...any place where there are people in third year (although not always the case!) who will be willing to adopt you.

I'm sure that there is a lot; it just stays within the family

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tidbits)
    Hey guys, do you have any experience with the storage companies here in st andrews? either the bigspace or kinkell? If yes please share, because I am finding it hard to decide since I know that kinkell storage does not provide insurance and bigspace has problem with delivering boxes back sooner than mid september. Thanks
    I would say the BigSpace is great value for money, especially if you don't have that much to put into storage. They also deliver and collect boxes which saves you a lot of hassle. That said, I don't know much about Kinkell...

If you don't mind me asking why would you need your boxes before mid-sept. Freshers' doesn't start till 19th and advising is on the 24th or something... :confused:

(Original post by Flashphotographer)
    Most people meet their academic parents during Freshers' Week. If you know people in years above you, they might have friends who are looking for 'children'. Otherwise you just meet them at the Union, in the pub...any place where there are people in third year (although not always the case!) who will be willing to adopt you.

I'm sure that there is a lot; it just stays within the family
    Haha okay. I don't want to be parentless :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Haha okay. I don't want to be parentless :eek:

Haha when the spokeswoman from St. Andrews came to our school, she said "when the inevitable incest occurs..." quite nonchalantly

(Original post by yodude888)
    Haha when the spokeswoman from St. Andrews came to our school, she said "when the inevitable incest occurs..." quite nonchalantly
    Haha, someone mentioned that at the talk I was at whilst I was up in St A's...I just wanted to check haha!

ReputationRep:
    You just meet them... either they ask you if you have parents, and if you'd like parents, or uou ask them to be your parent.
    I met my dad the first night of freshers in the union, and he asked to adopt me... My mum I met a few weeks later at a Sutton Trust meeting...
    Haha I'm sure it does, but none in my family... I have no brothers lol (only have 3 sisters in all)

Academic families are great though And raisin weekend..wow! haha!

ReputationRep:

ah I remember this, not sure either (think they told me, but this was back in October!). But more worryingly I have no idea what little items to put on that piece of string that you get on the gown!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxy)
    ah I remember this, not sure either (think they told me, but this was back in October!). But more worryingly I have no idea what little items to put on that piece of string that you get on the gown!
    Ah... curses, I've only been failing to make my kids' raisin strings for, like, 4 months.

*gets stuff and puts it in the middle of the floor*
    Right. Tomorrow. Me, lots of strings, and many small, silly items. It's on! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flashphotographer)
    I would say the BigSpace is great value for money, especially if you don't have that much to put into storage. They also deliver and collect boxes which saves you a lot of hassle. That said, I don't know much about Kinkell...

If you don't mind me asking why would you need your boxes before mid-sept. Freshers' doesn't start till 19th and advising is on the 24th or something... :confused:

thanks, and I would need them because I am coming back the first september week with my parent (flat lease starts 4th sep).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tidbits)
    thanks, and I would need them because I am coming back the first september week with my parent (flat lease starts 4th sep).
    Ermmm...omg are you who I think you are? Sorry that sounds well weird lol Have you done you're Bio lab report for tomorrow?
    *Hopes I have the right person...*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
    Ah... curses, I've only been failing to make my kids' raisin strings for, like, 4 months.

Right. Tomorrow. Me, lots of strings, and many small, silly items. It's on! :woo:

Oh the parents make them? I'll make sure my parents get me my little string then!

ReputationRep:
    I'm worried about not getting parents. :sad: The only times I'd be able to summon the courage to ask is after I've had loads of cider. And then it's simply the other extreme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    I'm worried about not getting parents. :sad: The only times I'd be able to summon the courage to ask is after I've had loads of cider. And then it's simply the other extreme.
    Dont worry, I'm also quite quiet but just have to go for it. you never know might be lucky and some might ask you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    Don't worry! The reason my dad approched me was because i was looking very lost (was on a pub crawl with uni hall, but got split up from everyone i "knew" -had only gone to uni that day-) and very nervous! lol... he started chatting then asked if i needed a father... really, it's nothing to get worried about!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)

I will hold you to that! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I HAVE 3 PRETTY RAISIN STRINGS!!! WEEHEE!!! :woo: :yep: :woo: :eek3:

Now all I need to do is mastermind a family gathering :rolleyes:

Don't fret over finding academic parents. I managed, and I was pretty quiet. Even if you don't meet many 3rd or 4th years, there will be 2nd years who can introduce you to potential parents.
    If your main aim is a raisin string and a costume for the foam fight, then a mum is important. Dads give you a raisin recipt to take into the foam fight, but mums have all the fun making silly costumes and cooking exciting breakfasts and stuff :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I will adopt TSRians! I think it's technically allowed to adopt as a second year if you spend your third year abroad... hmm...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella_trixxx)
    I will adopt TSRians! I think it's technically allowed to adopt as a second year if you spend your third year abroad... hmm...
    :itsme:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.