The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

I had to do 150 credits this year just gone, which worked out at roughly 12.5 hours of lectures a week, and 6 hours of tutorials/examples classes. I hear that we were meant to work on the tutorials before we had the classes, but I never bothered...oops!
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
How regularly do people travel to Edinburgh and Dundee for clubbing and things?
Reply 4042
necessarily benevolent
How regularly do people travel to Edinburgh and Dundee for clubbing and things?

Every weekend for Dundee I'm guessing as its easier to get to, slightly less often for Edinburgh though?
Oxy
Every weekend for Dundee I'm guessing as its easier to get to, slightly less often for Edinburgh though?

I think they said the Dundee bus and club promotion they do ran on the Wednesday? I could be wrong but that seems to be sticking in my mind.
Alexandra1234567
I think they said the Dundee bus and club promotion they do ran on the Wednesday? I could be wrong but that seems to be sticking in my mind.

That would be Fat Sams in Dundee, never been myself though. It's popular with the clubbing types :biggrin:

Also, http://www.fatsams.co.uk/transport.php
la_banane_verte
That would be Fat Sams in Dundee, never been myself though. It's popular with the clubbing types :biggrin:

I wasn't the one after the info I don't think:redface: NB was...

Can anyone answer my previous question :smile:?
The one about the careers centre? I've never gotten that involved with them, but I assume it is they who organise all the employers events which go on throughout the year - there are a lot of employers visit St Andrews to do presentations, careers advice sessions, accept CVs, advertise internships etc. There are also a few big careers fairs in first semester, I went to the Finance one and the Science/Technology ones, and there were all the big names you'd expect - they were happy to talk about internships and some accepted CVs. I know the Careers Centre will check CVs and advertise placements, but I don't know how much they'd do for you if you just went in and said "I want an internship with PricewaterhouseCoopers. Find it for me!"

Edit: The careers centre is a service you have to want to use, they don't come round encouraging you to use them really, you have to go to them
la_banane_verte
The one about the careers centre? I've never gotten that involved with them, but I assume it is they who organise all the employers events which go on throughout the year - there are a lot of employers visit St Andrews to do presentations, careers advice sessions, accept CVs, advertise internships etc. There are also a few big careers fairs in first semester, I went to the Finance one and the Science/Technology ones, and there were all the big names you'd expect - they were happy to talk about internships and some accepted CVs. I know the Careers Centre will check CVs and advertise placements, but I don't know how much they'd do for you if you just went in and said "I want an internship with PricewaterhouseCoopers. Find it for me!"

Edit: The careers centre is a service you have to want to use, they don't come round encouraging you to use them really, you have to go to them

I assumed they would be sort of, self motivated helpers rather than hassling you to let them help :smile:

So if companies take CV's at the fairs it'd make sense to have some prepared to hand out if you went then?

And how competitive is the Law fair they go on about? I'm gonna assume very :ninja:

Thanks :grin: I'm quite keen to not have to just slouch back to my parents' house after uni haha!
Yeah, I took a couple of CVs with me (although I didn't give any out cos there wasn't any companies offering internships that I wanted!), but check in the programme which companies are accepting CVs - it's probably look really bad if you tried to give one to someone who'd already said they didn't want them.

I'm not sure about the Law fair, but I know at the Management/Economics people were pretty competitive about getting to talk to the exhibitors so I reckon it's similar. You could go along to the one this year to get a taste of what it's like (it's on the 6th Oct in the Town Hall).
Reply 4049
Alexandra1234567

Fair enough, was still weekly anyway :tongue: Prodigy - Warriors Dance, proper rave tune xD

But I still imagine a large amount of people go on the weekends anyway...Must suck if you have lectures early on Thurs morning :frown:
la_banane_verte
Yeah, I took a couple of CVs with me (although I didn't give any out cos there wasn't any companies offering internships that I wanted!), but check in the programme which companies are accepting CVs - it's probably look really bad if you tried to give one to someone who'd already said they didn't want them.

I'm not sure about the Law fair, but I know at the Management/Economics people were pretty competitive about getting to talk to the exhibitors so I reckon it's similar. You could go along to the one this year to get a taste of what it's like (it's on the 6th Oct in the Town Hall).

Ahh cool :smile: cheers!
Well I've gotta get in first :eek: aaargh.
la_banane_verte

Yeh... I'm not really the clubbing type, never thought I was anyway... we went last week with hall, was great fun! :smile:
Oxy

Most people I know, including myself, tend to stick around in St Andrews most of the time, because although there is no "club" as such, there is a lot going on! :smile: ...I've been through to Dundee once... was god fun and will probs try to go through more often next year, but St Andrews is great too, don't really need to go anywhere else I've found!

Can't wait to be back! Missing it already so bad!
M_E_X
I did over 120 in my first year - it's just a few extra hours of lectures per week, it's nothing awful, really :smile:
You can do up to 160 credits per year, and I know several people who do!

They wouldn't let me... :frown:

And I'm struggling to get them to let me next year (bio modules are 30 and french are 20...and there are 4 bio modules I REALLLYY don't want to drop...) urghhhh...

Enjoying home?
Has anyone here read The Book of St Andrews? Apparently it's got loads of collected materials from a range of authors about the place? It's on my list.
Reply 4055
sophie_c
They wouldn't let me... :frown:

And I'm struggling to get them to let me next year (bio modules are 30 and french are 20...and there are 4 bio modules I REALLLYY don't want to drop...) urghhhh...

Enjoying home?

Yeah it's good to be back (Y)
I've been really busy so far - but I'm looking forward to just having a rest and stuff. Are you going away or anything?

James
M_E_X
Yeah it's good to be back (Y)
I've been really busy so far - but I'm looking forward to just having a rest and stuff. Are you going away or anything?

James

Ahh goodgood! I'm SO bored! I do like living in the middle of nowhere...but now after being so used to St Andrews...it's just SO quiet... I've literally seen noone but my family (and they're working, got school etc) since I got back :frown: Missing St Andrews bad, and the people even worse...lol it's going to be a long summer...

Umm nope not going anywhere or doing anything exciting I'm afraid... job hunting is the priority atm... :frown: You?
Reply 4057
Haha I made this thread when I had just settled into my first year. And now I am graduating. How time flies. Should change the title to current students and graduates!
Reply 4058
congrates :smile: when is the graduation ceremony?
Sorry if this has been asked before, but do you change modules and subjects in between semesters or years?

Latest

Trending

Trending