The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4060
necessarily benevolent
Sorry if this has been asked before, but do you change modules and subjects in between semesters or years?

Between semesters :smile:
All (with only a handful of exceptions) modules run for one semester.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
I know that Erol Alkan, Mylo and, perhaps, Diplo played in or near St Andrews not too long ago - per chance anyone on here knows how events like this go down in St Andrews, or what kind of attendance they get? Assuming that was a privately run event, do any of the student unions run such nights in or around the town?

It seems a lot of the nightlife is focused outside of St Andrews (hopefully not on some god awful Oceana/Revolutions type place), but from what I saw there's quite a lot of bars in the town, too. Some of them must have some good student nights? Cabaret Voltaire is perhaps the best place in Edinburgh despite being tiny, so size is no excuse.

Soon-to-be English Literature student, anyway.
Reply 4062
Real Deep
I know that Erol Alkan, Mylo and, perhaps, Diplo played in or near St Andrews not too long ago - per chance anyone on here knows how events like this go down in St Andrews, or what kind of attendance they get? Assuming that was a privately run event, do any of the student unions run such nights in or around the town?

It seems a lot of the nightlife is focused outside of St Andrews (hopefully not on some god awful Oceana/Revolutions type place), but from what I saw there's quite a lot of bars in the town, too. Some of them must have some good student nights? Cabaret Voltaire is perhaps the best place in Edinburgh despite being tiny, so size is no excuse.

Soon-to-be English Literature student, anyway.

Nah man noone goes outside of St Andrews for the nightlife, well except the occasional trip to the clubs in Dundee, which are crap. Theres loads of craic in St Andrews, the main student nights being Tuesday and Friday. It all centres around 3 or 4 places, mainly the union, the vic, and a couple of other pubs. Always stuff happening. Unfortunately, you will probably not see a good live band in your 4 years there. Although if you're into music, the bus to Glasgow can get you to big gigs.
'preciated.
M_E_X
Between semesters :smile:
All (with only a handful of exceptions) modules run for one semester.

So, for example, you could do Modern History, Mediaeval History and Classics one semester, and Modern History, Theology and Literature another?
Reply 4065
necessarily benevolent
So, for example, you could do Modern History, Mediaeval History and Classics one semester, and Modern History, Theology and Literature another?

Yep :smile:
(as long as those modules are running in those semesters, and you meet the requirements for each module).
necessarily benevolent

Just to add to M_E_X's answer, you can do this assuming you entered as MA Modern History (single honours). You're obliged to take 40 credits per year in the subject you entered with.* If you're a joint honours student, you have to do this for both subjects.

Also be aware of timetable clashes as sometimes they can be a bit counterintuitive. This seems to be particularly bad in the popular 10/11AM lecture slots. For instance, in my first semester mediaeval history clashed with theology.

* Assuming you don't change your degree after the first semester.
Firstly, hey guys, it's been a little while since I posted but I'm uberly confused... :woo:

Okay, so after weeks of deliberating over modules next year, I've decided NOT to keep on beginners' spanish and just do the evening spanish language course instead. So that cut out 30 credits from each semester leaving me stuck. Anyways, after looking through modules and thinking about what I want to do I've compiled a list. The thing is it would mean I'm doing 4 modules each semester, despite still being 120 credits in total. The timetables arent too challenging, for example, 2 of the philosophy modules only have 2 lectures, and I'm not spreading myself over a lot of subjects. First semester is 3 philosophy plus beginner italian and second semester is 2 philosophy, 1 italian and 1 of those interdisciplinary modules called Science Ethics (so, its pretty philosophical I imagine)...:rolleyes:

Anyway, I suppose my question is whether 4 modules is a bit much to pull off despite quite a few of them only being 10 credits? I guess the fact that it's still 120 credits should tell me it's fine, and that the timetables seem to fit very easily should tell me its feasible, but in reality, is it going to drive me crazy? :o:

* I know I can just forget about modules until I meet my adviser in September but I'd like to be on top of it now and have a pretty good idea :wink: *
I (and I suspect ninja may have ) did 5 modules per semester last year and that worked fine for me, I didn't think the work load was too much. The only the downside is having 5 exams at the end!
la_banane_verte
I (and I suspect ninja may have ) did 5 modules per semester last year and that worked fine for me, I didn't think the work load was too much. The only the downside is having 5 exams at the end!

That's a good point- 4 exams at the end won't be too nice, but I guess I'd get over it :p:
Reply 4070
Would it be possible to do only two subjects in the first two years and already doing some honours modules to get enough credits?
fg08
Would it be possible to do only two subjects in the first two years and already doing some honours modules to get enough credits?

Answer to the first part of your question is yes, if enough modules are offered in your subject - for instance I only took maths and comp sci in first year, then just straight maths after that.

The second part of your question - I'm not entirely sure I understand what you mean, but if you're asking if you can take 3/4/5000 level courses in 1st/2nd year, you can take them, but they won't count towards your degree classification, or your "honours credits" as it were. i.e. you will still need to take the same amount of credits in honours years (3rd/4th) as anyone else.
Reply 4072
la_banane_verte
Answer to the first part of your question is yes, if enough modules are offered in your subject - for instance I only took maths and comp sci in first year, then just straight maths after that.

The second part of your question - I'm not entirely sure I understand what you mean, but if you're asking if you can take 3/4/5000 level courses in 1st/2nd year, you can take them, but they won't count towards your degree classification, or your "honours credits" as it were. i.e. you will still need to take the same amount of credits in honours years (3rd/4th) as anyone else.

Yeah I dont wanna waste time by doing subjects which I do not really want to study. I just wanna do more IR modules instead of doing a third subject.
Reply 4073
So it would be possible to do four IR and two Economics modules in each of the first two years and then the normal number of modules in the third and fourth year?
Unfortunately looking at the IR modules, I don't think you'll be able to do more than 1 per semester, as they only run one 1000 level and 2000 level per semester, and the 2000 level courses require you to have done both 1000 level courses already, and I suspect (although can't confirm) that for 3/4000 level IR modules you need all the 1/2000 level modules.

I think in your sig you say you're doing economics too? You might have more luck here, because you can take the 1000 level courses, but could also take EC2008 Topics in Finance in either semester of first year (it has no pre-requisites), but you would have to find one more non-IR/Economics module to fill the gap in first year. Then in second year, you can take 30 credits worth of Econmics each semester, plus your 20 each semester from IR, giving you a total of 100 credit, so you'd still need to find 20 credits from some other subject.

It can get a bit complicated trying to work out what/when/how many modules you can take!
Reply 4075
Ah ok thanks :smile: I will have a look at the website.
Catered vs Self - Catered.

Is it a myth that all the foreign students flock to self-catered? I've put in for catered, but prefer the concept of self-catered. Only, I've got it into my head that I'd be amongst cliquey foreign groups, or in accomodation out of the way?
Are there opportunities to learn a language but not as part of your degree?
bibliotheque
Are there opportunities to learn a language but not as part of your degree?

Yep.
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/admissions/Non-degreecourses/OpenAssociation/Eveninglanguagecourses/

:wink:
Re: Chester & la_banane_verte,
I only did 4 modules last semester. Theoretically it wasn't bad, although there was a lot of continuous assessment, and it didn't take too much pressure off the exams in the end. The worst part about having several exams is when they fall close to each other, and that's obviously more likely to be a problem if you have more exams.

Re: Real Deep,
I suspect self-catered accommodation cultures cliqueiness a bit more, particularly since the uni sometimes to group flatmates by their nationality. I don't think that foreign students 'flock' to self-catered as such, but it does make it easier to not mix outwith your comfort zone. Mealtimes in Catered halls are great for encouraging people to mix things up a bit.
And yes, on average, the self-catered residences are further out of town.

Latest