The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

This is a question to current students: anyone want to meet for a beer, chat and to show me around sometime between thursday and sunday? I'll be up from Switzerland and could do with a meet of some sort :smile:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 4121
yodude888
This is a question to current students: anyone want to meet for a beer, chat and to show me around sometime between thursday and sunday? I'll be up from Switzerland and could do with a meet of some sort :smile:

Nobody will be here then :frown:. Nobody that I know of at least.

Hopefully we'll all meet up in September though, in Freshers week.
blackout_in_the_red_room
How does one survive without ones torrents?

Depends what you're looking for. If it's movies/tv, there are plenty of streaming sites or direct download sites. Other things I'm not too familiar with, but one would assume there's a direct download community for most things somewhere on the internet.
blackout_in_the_red_room
How does one survive without ones torrents?

Only solution I can think of would be to just download tons of stuff before you leave in order to provide subsistence until Christmas.
Reply 4124
Proxy server?
Reply 4125
Is there a bike shop anywhere near/in St Andrews?
Reply 4126
polka
Is there a bike shop anywhere near/in St Andrews?

Yep, there's one on South Street http://www.spokescycles.net/
Reply 4127
elle jay
Yep, there's one on South Street http://www.spokescycles.net/

Ouch :erm:

Ummm......any cheap bikes, the cheapest one at that place was like 145 pounds.

Anyone want to sell me your old one? huh? huuuuh? You'd be my best friend forever. :hugs:
Reply 4128
polka
Ouch :erm:

Ummm......any cheap bikes, the cheapest one at that place was like 145 pounds.

Anyone want to sell me your old one? huh? huuuuh? You'd be my best friend forever. :hugs:

There's a used bike sale during Fresher's week.
Knudsen
THEY DO?!

Haha at least I'll know that for my next two years. This way I won't have to bring them with me from home... :o:

So I misled you all. i was back up for graduation and popped in to check. They sell soba and udon noodles but sadly not ramen :frown:.
Reply 4130
Murphyen
So I misled you all. i was back up for graduation and popped in to check. They sell soba and udon noodles but sadly not ramen :frown:.

WHAT?!!! :woo:

:frown:
Reply 4131
Super noodles are fairly similar to ramen, although they taste a bit different...you can get them in Tesco. Note that they're more expensive than ramen noodles are in the States...it's probably cheaper to just buy a big bag of pasta!
elle jay
Super noodles are fairly similar to ramen, although they taste a bit different...you can get them in Tesco. Note that they're more expensive than ramen noodles are in the States...it's probably cheaper to just buy a big bag of pasta!

I obviously don't know what the US price of them is :smile:. But you can get non-brand super noodles for around 8p a packet here, but potentially as the St Andrews Tesco is a 'metro' it may not stock the better value brands.
Reply 4133
Alexandra1234567
I obviously don't know what the US price of them is :smile:. But you can get non-brand super noodles for around 8p a packet here, but potentially as the St Andrews Tesco is a 'metro' it may not stock the better value brands.

In the US they're about 16 cents a packet, I don't believe I've ever seen any of the cheaper kind at the Tesco Metro here...that being said, I've not investigated the situation all that thoroughly :P
Reply 4134
How small is St Andrews? And so what is the social life like? How cold is it, because it's next to the sea isn't it? I know I will be in a minority not being scottish, but will I bein a massive minority? Does it even matter? Is Edinburgh the nearest biggest city? If not, how close is the nearest city or how close is Edinburgh?
Reply 4135
lekky
How small is St Andrews? And so what is the social life like? How cold is it, because it's next to the sea isn't it? I know I will be in a minority not being scottish, but will I bein a massive minority? Does it even matter? Is Edinburgh the nearest biggest city? If not, how close is the nearest city or how close is Edinburgh?

Only a third of people are Scottish, you won't be in a minority simply for being "not Scottish".

St Andrews is very small, there are approx. 6,000 students here (more exact numbers can be found on Wikipedia).

It is quite cold in winter and quite warm in spring / summer. You will definitely need your coat for winter though.

Dundee is about 20 minutes on the bus away.
Edinborough is just over an hour on the bus away.
Reply 4136
You would be in minority for being Scottish:biggrin: but I guess nobody really cares about where you are from.
lekky

Like M_E_X said, you won't be a minority in not being scottish, in fact, the other way round, us scots are in the minoristy in comparison with international students! And, tbh, like fg said, nobody really cares where you are from, everyone mixes together, it's great! :smile: I guess it depends on where you are coming from, whether you find St Andrews cold or not... St Andrews actually gets some of the best weather for mainland scotland, and tends to be warmer than much of scotland, simply because it is at sea level and not up in the moountains where the temps drop dramatically esp in the winter... i personally found St Andrews a lot warmer than at home!
elle jay
In the US they're about 16 cents a packet, I don't believe I've ever seen any of the cheaper kind at the Tesco Metro here...that being said, I've not investigated the situation all that thoroughly :P

Which is roughly 23p or something isn't it?

There isn't likely to be, but you can get slightly more 'upmarket' ones for 38p for a decent sized packet. Haha, well, I work at Tesco :frown: so useless info like this clogs up my brain!
Alexandra1234567
Which is roughly 23p or something isn't it?

There isn't likely to be, but you can get slightly more 'upmarket' ones for 38p for a decent sized packet. Haha, well, I work at Tesco :frown: so useless info like this clogs up my brain!

I think you did your dollar/pound conversion the wrong way. 16 cents would be under 10p I think

Latest

Trending

Trending