The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

yodude888
I think you did your dollar/pound conversion the wrong way. 16 cents would be under 10p I think

Haha. Lucky I'm not going to do maths or anything important at university then :lolwut:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 4141
Alexandra1234567
Haha. Lucky I'm not going to do maths or anything important at university then :lolwut:

English is a pretty important subject dont ya think? :biggrin:
Oxy
English is a pretty important subject dont ya think? :biggrin:

To me, yes :smile:.
Reply 4143
Alexandra1234567
To me, yes :smile:.

I can't see why it isn't important to everyone, after all we are all speaking english here. Sometimes I'm ashamed of my grammar and spelling, thank god for spellcheck :biggrin:

On another note, does anyone know when you find out where you've been allocated accommodation? I guess its after results day obviously.
Oxy
I can't see why it isn't important to everyone, after all we are all speaking english here. Sometimes I'm ashamed of my grammar and spelling, thank god for spellcheck :biggrin:

On another note, does anyone know when you find out where you've been allocated accommodation? I guess its after results day obviously.

It probably won't be till late August.
St Andrews can be incredibly slow.
Oxy

Haha, but the study of English literature isn't really essential to grammar and spelling; it's the study of literature!! :biggrin:

Yeah well after results I'd say :frown:
Reply 4146
Wth is spellcheck?
Reply 4147
fg08
Wth is spellcheck?

its a facility that checks the spelling of your words, if its wrong it underlines it in red haven't you seen it? :s-smilie:

How do they let you know, by mail or email? Just so I know where to look :tongue:
Oxy
its a facility that checks the spelling of your words, if its wrong it underlines it in red haven't you seen it? :s-smilie:

How do they let you know, by mail or email? Just so I know where to look :tongue:

I got told about accommodation via email... actually got sent to my junk folder, so I'd keep an eye out in there if I were you! I didn't hear until end of August, and had had an unconditional since the feb, so fraid it'll probs be a whiley yet!
Reply 4149
Oxy

Ah ok now Ive found it.
thanx :smile:
Reply 4150
how long does it take until you get your formal acceptance letter from st andrews?
i sent my graduation certificate a week ago to the admissions office and i have no reply yet :s-smilie:
Reply 4151
Think I was rather stupid and missed the accommodation deadline....was looking for term dates and stumbled across a 31st may deadline. St Andrews is my insurance though, 99.9% I've missed the grades for my firm and am getting used to and really liking the idea of St.A anyway.... My firm had a 'no accommodation sorting until after results policy' but any ideas what I should do? Will I still be housed where I like, and with freshers?! :s-smilie:
fn_101
Think I was rather stupid and missed the accommodation deadline....was looking for term dates and stumbled across a 31st may deadline. St Andrews is my insurance though, 99.9% I've missed the grades for my firm and am getting used to and really liking the idea of St.A anyway.... My firm had a 'no accommodation sorting until after results policy' but any ideas what I should do? Will I still be housed where I like, and with freshers?! :s-smilie:

To be blunt, almost certainly not - unless you have a preference for one of the expensive halls like DRA and New Hall, where there is usually more space to fit people in.

The university took in more students than average last year, which means the town is needing to deal with even more people seeking accommodation. Unless you want to be looking at spaces in private flats - and these can be very expensive, and you will be lucky to find something thats a 'really good deal' in normal terms - then I would phone the university accommodation service and ask their advice. They might be able to help you find a way into Halls, so you might be able to avoid the situation of filling up space in a random house.

I hate writing such a doom-laden post, but the realities are:
1) Accommodation is one of St Andrews' worst points, because of high demand.
2) This is a topic which isn't something anyone on this forum can fully advise you on. The best strategy in this kind of situation is to talk to the univerity directly, and try to get the most accurate information on your options available. In the end, no student in this forum will have a great insight to the technical workings of the university, and anything we tell you beyond views, experiences and general advice will not match up to what you can find out by directly communicating with people who work for the university and understand how the system works.

Good luck with sorting out the situation :smile: And sorry to be so gloomy.
Reply 4153
I got two questions concerning St. Andrews. First, has anyone here experience with the course International Strategy & Economics? If so, I would really like to ask some more specific questions as I am going to apply for entry in 2010.

Second, if I apply as early as possible - which would be in September - when can I expect the final decision as to whether I will be offered a place or not to be made? Is November/December realistic?

Thanks for your help!
Imp2
I got two questions concerning St. Andrews. First, has anyone here experience with the course International Strategy & Economics? If so, I would really like to ask some more specific questions as I am going to apply for entry in 2010.

Second, if I apply as early as possible - which would be in September - when can I expect the final decision as to whether I will be offered a place or not to be made? Is November/December realistic?

Thanks for your help!

Heya!
Sorry I have no experience with that course at all!
But hmm, I'm pretty sure I applied as soon as i could (this was for entry in 2008, I'm going into 2nd year now), and I didn't hear anything until February (was an unconditional, and I'm scottish so had already done my Highers and got the grades I needed at that point)... I very much doubt you'll get a response by November or December I'm afraid... the earliest I heard people getting replies was Feb, and the latest around May...
Good luck though, and any other qus, I'd be happy to help! :smile:
blackout_in_the_red_room
How does one survive without ones torrents?

I plan on renting a server and torrenting media onto the server so we can take full advantage of the 70-90mbps download rates....
Reply 4156
DeadChicken
I plan on renting a server and torrenting media onto the server so we can take full advantage of the 70-90mbps download rates....

Eh? Oh, sorry. All I heard was 'free shell access'. :o:
Oogamy
Eh? Oh, sorry. All I heard was 'free shell access'. :o:

Hahaha, free?

Maybe if I get to know you and you happen to buy me drinks I might....

I'm gonna see if anyone wants to chip in anyway, otherwise i'll just go halves with my mate from home because he can get me a good deal
Imp2

Thanks for your help!

I agree with sophie_c - I wouldn't rely on hearing anything before February.
I missed my offer by one point... what do I do? who do I call?

Latest

Trending

Trending