Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does somebody know if Skype works from inside halls?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fg08)
    Does somebody know if Skype works from inside halls?
    Yes. Skype also works with webcam, which MSN doesn't.

James

ReputationRep:
    Thats great! Will save me a lot of money

ReputationRep:
    would you recommend a course load of econ-IR-philosophy or econ-IR-psychology?
    is one much more work/writing than the other?

thanksss

ReputationRep:
    Im will be doing IR and Economics and Im still thinking about my third subject, but I guess it will be either Spanish, Arabic or Maths. Tbh I think sou shouldnt choose the subject which is less work, take one youll really enjoy and the work wont be to hard.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies, can anyone verify if you can access Usenet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leemkule)
    Thanks for the replies, can anyone verify if you can access Usenet?
    "As far as I know, nobody I know has managed to torrent/P2P from inside halls. I don't know exactly how it works, but yeah. I imagine almost all ports are closed except the ones that are needed. Almost nothing works though, seriously."

I posted this above; see if you can deduce whether you can use Usenet from that.

edit: if it's a web interface, then probably. If it's a client then probably not. I don't know tbh; but I'd lean on the side of "no".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    "As far as I know, nobody I know has managed to torrent/P2P from inside halls. I don't know exactly how it works, but yeah. I imagine almost all ports are closed except the ones that are needed. Almost nothing works though, seriously."

I posted this above; see if you can deduce whether you can use Usenet from that.

edit: if it's a web interface, then probably. If it's a client then probably not. I don't know tbh; but I'd lean on the side of "no".
    I can't deduce whether or not Usenet works from your statement that bitorrent/p2p don't work. That's why I asked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leemkule)
    I can't deduce whether or not Usenet works from your statement that bitorrent/p2p don't work. That's why I asked.
    It seems that connections to all ports are blocked, with a few exceptions to allow their network to be useful. It's impossible to comment on whether or not the NNTP ports are open: help, anyone?

Computer stuff; outfoxes me every time.

I'm planning on bringing a printer if I get in, is that okay/are there enough plugs? Will I need to bring an extension cord?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexandra1234567)
    Computer stuff; outfoxes me every time.

I'm planning on bringing a printer if I get in, is that okay/are there enough plugs? Will I need to bring an extension cord?
    Yeh you'll be fine with a printer! I took my own too, and seriously, you will be so glad of it come essay deadlines and the like!

There should be plenty of plugs, I mean it obv depends on your hall etc, but in my room there were at least 6 plugholes.

(Original post by sophie_c)
    Yeh you'll be fine with a printer! I took my own too, and seriously, you will be so glad of it come essay deadlines and the like!

There should be plenty of plugs, I mean it obv depends on your hall etc, but in my room there were at least 6 plugholes.

Ahh excellent , thanks!
    I really shouldn't worry yet, I NEED TO WAIT for Thursday first.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh excellent , thanks!
    I really shouldn't worry yet, I NEED TO WAIT for Thursday first.
    Hehe, results day? Good luck! I'm sure you'll have done great!

:yep:

Hehe, results day? Good luck! I'm sure you'll have done great!

:yep:
    Aye , very nervous!
    Watch out, I'm planning a reign of terror on the sicophants if I don't get in :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    Aye , very nervous!
    Watch out, I'm planning a reign of terror on the sicophants if I don't get in :tongue:
    Aw, I'm sure it won't come to that!

Will keep it in mind though... hehe! Jk

ReputationRep:
    Haha, don't worry! You're probs a lot more organised than I was at this stage last year!

Reading lists I think depend on your subject (for example, I'm studying Biology and we never seem to get reading lists), and books you don't really need to worry about, if you get a list before uni, then of course you could start buying a few, but it doesn't matter too much as there's a uni bookshop in the student union that sells all the books...most books may be cheaper on amazon, but there are some that they package together and do deals on (ie Biology). And if you do get here and find Amazon is the cheapest way to buy them, they'll be delivered in a few days, in which you're unlikely to need them, or if you do could get them out the library!

And SAAS, if you ticked the box when applying (i think on the same list asking if you're wanting healthcare funding and income-based support etc, they'll sort out the tuition fees for you. When coming to uni, you'll just have to bring a letter that saas will give you to matriculation (but then matriculation is changing to online this year, so I don't know quite what's going to happen, but don't worry I'm sure all will be explained when the time comes!).

Accommodation, you'll get sent info on setting up an account with the Old Union, and you'll have a choice of ways to pay, the easiest is probs the direct debit and they'll just take the money from your account on the set dates (it's usually 2 payments).

So yeh, think you're fine! Only thing you may have to think about if you haven't already, is module choices!

Thanks for the reply! You've calmed me down a lot, though module choices are something I'd totally forgotten about I've applied for joint honours, so will I only need one other subject??

Also, I'm staying in Albany Park and wondering if anyone knows what kind of stuff I'll need to take with me. Like what (if anything) is already provided in the kitchen and do you bring your own duvets and pillows?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beanybob)
    Thanks for the reply! You've calmed me down a lot, though module choices are something I'd totally forgotten about I've applied for joint honours, so will I only need one other subject??

Also, I'm staying in Albany Park and wondering if anyone knows what kind of stuff I'll need to take with me. Like what (if anything) is already provided in the kitchen and do you bring your own duvets and pillows?
    Aw you're welcome! Yep you'll need one more subject, unless one of the 2 you're doing happens to have 2 modules per semester, which is unlikely, What subjects are you doing? I'm joint Biology and French, and because there was only one Bio and one French module in first semester last year, I did Latin as well, but in second semester there were 2 bio modules, so i was back to just my two degree subjects which was nice! Probs a good idea to have a think about what other modules are on offer, and what may be of interest to you! And go online and put in what you're thinking for modules, so then your adviser can have a look before they meet you during freshers.

Ooh! I'm going to be in Albany Park too! Where abouts are you going to be? Well I don't really know what they provide tbh, but I'm going to be taking a saucepan (medium sort of size for pasta and soup) and a frying pan, a big plate, small plate and a couple of cups and glasses, but that's just what I had from last year...
    I've heard that there is pans etc provided, but don't quote me on that, aaand I don't know what kind of state they'd be in if they are provided if you know what I mean! Maybe a good idea to see if past-Albany residents can help us on this one!
    I think they provide a duvet and a pillow, but you're expected to bring you're own covers and sheets as far as I know... and I'd maybe suggest bringing an extra pillow as well, cos the one we were provided with in uni hall were awfully thin...

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know if the old union reception is open during the weekend in September? thanks

Have St Andrews got their entire years calendar wrong ?
    http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/students...r=2008&Month=9

This threw me utterly!

ReputationRep:
    Have St Andrews got their entire years calendar wrong ?
    http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/students...r=2008&Month=9

This threw me utterly!
    Those are the events for last year, hence the dates. :p:
    I don't know why the calendar to the right says September 2009 though. :confused:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.