Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What subject do you want to apply for? And what were your exact As grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shyammi12456)
    How hard is it to get into St Andrews? My AS grade were bad except for Maths. But I will be predicted the entry requirements hopefully...Would I be given an offer. Also how important are personal statements and extra curricular activities to St Andrews.
    PS and extra-curric is important, as it is for all competitive universities.
    What subject would you be applying for? And what grades did you get in what subjects at AS?

Many subjects now ask for AAA from new applicants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    PS and extra-curric is important, as it is for all competitive universities.
    What subject would you be applying for? And what grades did you get in what subjects at AS?

Many subjects now ask for AAA from new applicants.
    Applied Quantitative Finance
    AS Maths A, A2 Maths A
    AS French and Economics CC
    AS Physics D
    But I should be predicted the requirements which are AAB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shyammi12456)
    Applied Quantitative Finance
    AS Maths A, A2 Maths A
    AS French and Economics CC
    AS Physics D
    But I should be predicted the requirements which are AAB
    I do not think you will get an offer with AS results of accd, sorry. The requirements are AAB and may even rise to AAA this time - accd at AS level will more than likely not cut it.

Good luck though,
    James

ReputationRep:
    I'm not 100% sure this can be done, but are your AS grades certificated?

If not, and you are carrying them onto A2, then I believe you can put your A-level result as "pending", rather than the actual grade, but I would check this with your school's UCAS representative. Also your school may put your current grades (as well as your predicted grades) in your reference.

ReputationRep:
    St Andrews seems to put a rather large importance on PS, well, compared to say Durham or eqv., so make sure this is great!

ReputationRep:
    Quick question about Freshers Week...
    I'm flying to St. Andrews on the 19th of September (Saturday) with my mom. As I live in mainland Europe I'm flying over the things I'm bringing, and I need to buy things like bedding/towel/room stuff when I get to St. Andrews. My question is.... will I be able to go to Dundee/Edinburgh with my mom that Sunday for a few hours or will Freshers week keep me busy all day??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samantha_1112)
    St Andrews seems to put a rather large importance on PS, well, compared to say Durham or eqv., so make sure this is great!
    I didn't think mine was particularly great tbh, so god knows how I got an offer xD

ReputationRep:
    BTW sorry that this isn't a question for a current student, but just thought I'd let people know that St. Andrews have just confirmed I can defer to 2010 due to my hospitalisation and rehabilitation (lost my legs so have to learn to walk with prosthetic legs!)

ReputationRep:
    Im happy to hear that you will be coming to St Andrews
    Btw we will both be freshers in 2010 and we will be classmates if you take Economics

ReputationRep:
    Does the first year count in st andrews towards your degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celphtitled)
    Does the first year count in st andrews towards your degree?
    No. 3rd and 4th do (5th for some subjects) or so I've heard from current students :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanzhar)
    No. 3rd and 4th do (5th for some subjects) or so I've heard from current students :yep:
    So 2nd year doesn't count either?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celphtitled)
    So 2nd year doesn't count either?
    nope, you only need certain grades like above 15 or something (it varies me thinks) to be able to proceed into honorus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yodude888)
    BTW sorry that this isn't a question for a current student, but just thought I'd let people know that St. Andrews have just confirmed I can defer to 2010 due to my hospitalisation and rehabilitation (lost my legs so have to learn to walk with prosthetic legs!)
    Hey dude, wish you a speedy recovery! I may be showing you around in 2010

ReputationRep:
    If you decide to go for second year entry, are you still treated like a fresher?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katbro20)
    If you decide to go for second year entry, are you still treated like a fresher?
    Yes You still do everything a fresher does, and are guaranteed accommodation in your first year like a fresher is...etc.

You're a fresher for all intents and purposes .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yodude888)
    Gitwizard!

I was hoping to swap beer for a look at your injuries.

Good luck with the recovery, I'll be the other end of the country when you get to St-Andrews though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tidbits)
    nope, you only need certain grades like above 15 or something (it varies me thinks) to be able to proceed into honorus
    15 is only if you're doing a 'proper' Masters, like an MSci. For pretty much everything else, the formal boundary for entry to honours is 11 in the relevant subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jormungandr)
    15 is only if you're doing a 'proper' Masters, like an MSci. For pretty much everything else, the formal boundary for entry to honours is 11 in the relevant subject.
    Indeed.
    I need all 15s to get on the MPhys program, but I only got a 13.8 in one module :/ I got 17, 17, 17.4 and 17.8 in the others though, so I'm hoping they'll let me in...I'm not sure though. I've mailed my advisor and asked. I'm hoping my place on the Deans List will seal the deal! :P

Do you know if they're a bit lenient on this or not really?

edit: a 15 is about 65% overall, to put it in to context for the newbies. An 11 is about 55%. (yes it is a non-linear scale, yes it's stupid, no it won't get changed and yes you will get the hang of it).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.