Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What debit card are you looking at? I think all the supermarkets take every debit card now, but if you have Solo or Visa Electron, you'll run into problems if you want to buy train tickets.

Are you a UK or international student? Just becasue many banks are unwilling to give any form of credit or debit cards to international students and will only issue you with a cash card. This isn't too much trouble for shopping in St Andrews, as there are cash points everywhere and unlike in other countries, you don't get charged to use cash machines at other banks(there are some commercial cash machines like in DRA and New Hall that charge). Apoloogies if you are from the UK, as you'll know all that anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anneliesvdv)
    I am planning on getting a bank account with a debit card when I get to Scotland in september and I was wondering whether or not it was necessary to order a VISA as well. Do all the supermarkets accept debit cards for payment?
    I haven't been in a shop in StAs that hasn't accepted debit, certainly Tesco and Morrisons do, maybe some of the independent smaller shops might not but I doubt it. It might be worth getting a credit card anyway, I have one that I've never actually used but its nice to know that its there in case of emergencies! Some internet sites will only let you pay by credit card so again it might be worth you getting one anyway!

EDIT: La_banana_verte's answer is better! Although I thought that RBS gave Canadians debit cards but maybe they're just bias towards Canadians! (I thought this because there is a Canadian girl in StAs with my exact name who also uses RBS and they ended up giving me her debit card and told me that my pin number had been sent to Canada, it was hilarious...and then they told me that the debit card I'd asked for 2 weeks before had not been ordered, then they sent my new debit card to the wrong branch so it was destroyed, and then it took another 3 weeks to get another one ordered and delivered and then of course you have to wait for the pin to be activated, so in all I waited 8 weeks to get that damn debit card!)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I like my Visa debit card, it's not a credit card, but if somewhere says they only take credit cards, they'll generally accept it cos it says Visa on it. Plus I can use it in Europe without being charged

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la_banane_verte)
    I like my Visa debit card, it's not a credit card, but if somewhere says they only take credit cards, they'll generally accept it cos it says Visa on it. Plus I can use it in Europe without being charged
    Just realised that I put 'banana' in your name before lol! Sorry about that, had bananas on my mind obviously!! Anyway, hmm I might have to get one of these miracle cards...

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if it's been asked before (it most likely has been!) but how rural exactly is the university? Cause I'm used to being a bus journey away from Glasgow and going shopping there, etc, at the weekends.
    I really like the look of St Andrews, but don't want to feel like I'm in the middle of nowhere! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bex285)
    Sorry if it's been asked before (it most likely has been!) but how rural exactly is the university? Cause I'm used to being a bus journey away from Glasgow and going shopping there, etc, at the weekends.
    I really like the look of St Andrews, but don't want to feel like I'm in the middle of nowhere! :p:
    Train to edinburgh in an hour and a bus journey to Dundee is only 15minutes, although smaller than glasgow I'm sure it'll cater all your needs.

ReputationRep:
    another question are you allowed to go on skype via the university network?

ReputationRep:
    Are you a UK or international student? Just becasue many banks are unwilling to give any form of credit or debit cards to international students and will only issue you with a cash card.
    What are the banks' stances towards non-UK EU students? (Would EU students also count as "international" students?) Are they also unwilling to issue debit cards to them? (At the moment I'm considering going for a Bank of Scotland account when I arrive).

thanks for your replies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxy)
    Train to edinburgh in an hour and a bus journey to Dundee is only 15minutes, although smaller than glasgow I'm sure it'll cater all your needs.
    Thanks
    How far is it from glasgow? I'm clueless as to how far from home I'd be, it's terrible :p:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by mike1590)
    What are the banks' stances towards non-UK EU students? (Would EU students also count as "international" students?) Are they also unwilling to issue debit cards to them? (At the moment I'm considering going for a Bank of Scotland account when I arrive).

thanks for your replies.
    I know that my flatmate from Ireland was refused a debit card, but whether that was due to not being from the UK or personal circumstances I couldn't say.

I've had a look around on the web, and I can't find anything specific about the requirements, but I see people mentioning being on the electoral roll as a factor that helps in getting a debit card, and the university registers every eligible student in halls on the electoral roll (which to my knowledge includes EU students).

If the bank says they're not going to offer you a debit card though, tell them you're going to go shop around to find another bank that will. They might change their minds, and if not you can go look for a bank that offers a card.

ReputationRep:

thanks for your replies.
    I'm American and I got my account this year through RBS. You just have to get the university to write you a letter confirming where you live and that you're a student and then bring it to the bank. I did get a debit card, but it's Solo, not Visa or Mastercard or anything. I've not had any problems using it in shops in town, but will run into problems where it's not accepted when online shopping sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone recommend a decent bar that'll be showing the baseball play offs and world series? I'm assuming it'll be on somewere, given the large american contingent about the place.

And on top of that; does St. Andrews have a decent rowing club, whether indoor or outdoor?

Apologies if this is posted obviously elsewere, as I've already been brought up on once.

ReputationRep:
    If the bank says they're not going to offer you a debit card though, tell them you're going to go shop around to find another bank that will. They might change their minds, and if not you can go look for a bank that offers a card.
    thanks for the advice.

one more question:
    which "personal circumstances" would affect one's debit card "worthiness" in the UK?
    here in austria, Maestro cards are issued to almost everyone (i have been using 2 Maestro cards since I turned 13; and I did not have an income then)...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    How far is it from glasgow? I'm clueless as to how far from home I'd be, it's terrible :p:
    On the bus it'd be about 3 hours? Maybe to glasgow on the train it would be quicker ofc, but I dont think you can get a direct train from Leuchars to Glasgow, you'd have to change at Edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    It takes me about 2hrs to drive to St Andrews, depending on the traffic. The bus does take about 3hrs, but I'd rather use the bus than have the hassle of changing trains at Edinburgh. So you're not really that far away at all

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the advice.

one more question:
    which "personal circumstances" would affect one's debit card "worthiness" in the UK?
    here in austria, Maestro cards are issued to almost everyone (i have been using 2 Maestro cards since I turned 13; and I did not have an income then)...
    As far as I know, there shouldn't be much of a problem with "worthiness" because you can only spend what's in your account. Credit cards are a different story though.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Bucky!)
    you can only spend what's in your account.
    Not true. You can go overdrawn on most debit cards (Visa and Maestro definitely), which is why cards like Solo and Visa Electron exist, which don't allow you to go overdrawn. That's why some places don't accept Sole/VE because the machine has to check you have balance to pay first rather than just take it off, and that probably requires a more expensive machine or the banks charge more or something like that.

(Original post by Wasps26)
    Just realised that I put 'banana' in your name before lol! Sorry about that, had bananas on my mind obviously!! Anyway, hmm I might have to get one of these miracle cards...
    Ah don't worry about it, everyone does it, it's my own fault for choosing a silly name! The debit card is the one that Nationwide give with their flexaccount. There's no charges or commission in Europe and there's a small 0.84% proccessing fee added by Visa in the rest of the world.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone tell me where I could find reading lists or anything like it for Ancient History and Film Studies modules?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quo)
    It takes me about 2hrs to drive to St Andrews, depending on the traffic. The bus does take about 3hrs, but I'd rather use the bus than have the hassle of changing trains at Edinburgh. So you're not really that far away at all
    Ooh great, thanks
    That's just far away without being too far :yep:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.