Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    That's a good point, as the Union shop & the IT Helpdesk usually charge some exorbitant price like £5 for a 50p cable.

Other things...

I presume that you are catered if you are going into New Hall, but you'll want to bring things like a mug or two for making tea or whatever to have in your room & maybe 1 pan & 1 baking tray etc. for your evening meals at the weekends.

Also remember that with Woolworths closed you no longer have an easy source of cheap homewares in town, you'll have to make do with the tiny selection that St Andrews' Tesco has (because it's only a small store) & what Argos has (which will run out soon what with thousands of freshers all moving in at once). My advice is to try to buy as much of what you think you'll need before you get here, as the shops will be absolutely mobbed over the first weekend & following week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lost eden)
    That's a good point, as the Union shop & the IT Helpdesk usually charge some exorbitant price like £5 for a 50p cable.

Other things...

I presume that you are catered if you are going into New Hall, but you'll want to bring things like a mug or two for making tea or whatever to have in your room & maybe 1 pan & 1 baking tray etc. for your evening meals at the weekends.

Also remember that with Woolworths closed you no longer have an easy source of cheap homewares in town, you'll have to make do with the tiny selection that St Andrews' Tesco has (because it's only a small store) & what Argos has (which will run out soon what with thousands of freshers all moving in at once). My advice is to try to buy as much of what you think you'll need before you get here, as the shops will be absolutely mobbed over the first weekend & following week.
    Yeah that's what I was planning; parents are driving me down and I'm planning on filling our Discovery with all my stuff XD

How many plugs do you get in a New Hall room? I'm thinking I'll porbably get an extension just to cover whatever I might be using - I tend to have a lot of electrical stuff on at once!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmathePiper)
    Yeah that's what I was planning; parents are driving me down and I'm planning on filling our Discovery with all my stuff XD

How many plugs do you get in a New Hall room? I'm thinking I'll porbably get an extension just to cover whatever I might be using - I tend to have a lot of electrical stuff on at once!
    Just checked my old photos to remind me & in my room there were 4 by the desk & 2 by the bed (all the rooms are essentially identical so I presume this will be the case for all the others too). Network, phone & TV aerial sockets are also by the desk.

I can't remember if there is a shaver socket in the ensuite & I don't have any photos of that side of the ensuite to check, so if you have any sort of razor or electric toothbrush that uses a shaver socket it might be an idea to pack an adaptor.

ReputationRep:
    thank you people

ReputationRep:
    Had a search as was sure this had been asked but can't find a lot - I want to get a student Natwest account as I already have one and can upgrade plus free railcard is much needed - I know there is no Natwest in St Andrews so is this really not a good idea? Has anyone done it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fn_101)
    Had a search as was sure this had been asked but can't find a lot - I want to get a student Natwest account as I already have one and can upgrade plus free railcard is much needed - I know there is no Natwest in St Andrews so is this really not a good idea? Has anyone done it?
    As I've said in response to general bank questions before, only having one account with a bank that doesn't have a branch in St Andrews does make things less practical, and I'd avoid it if you can.

Do you have any reason not to switch to an RBS student account, which also gives a railcard? Or is it the upgrading option that's holding you back?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yep, I did exactly that and it works fine for me. The only time I ever need a branch is if I get a cheque, so I just post it home to my mum to put it in.

Edit: For some reason the RBS railcard is only 3 years, and the Natwest one is 5 years. No idea why considering they're part of the same group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
    As I've said in response to general bank questions before, only having one account with a bank that doesn't have a branch in St Andrews does make things less practical, and I'd avoid it if you can.

Do you have any reason not to switch to an RBS student account, which also gives a railcard? Or is it the upgrading option that's holding you back?
    I have another account with Abbey, which isn't a student account - just something I've been using over the past two years casually and that for my part time job, and I have a debit card for that. Do you think that would be suitable to use on the side?

The RBS one I ish looked into, the 5 year railcard and the upgrade are the main things, especially as it'd save me buying a railcard in my final year.

La_banana_verte -is it not really do-able to use the natwest branch in Dundee if needed?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

La_banana_verte -is it not really do-able to use the natwest branch in Dundee if needed?
    Yes, you can use the branch in Dundee, it's just that an envelope and stamp are cheaper than a bus ticket. I use online banking though so I very rarely need to go into a branch at all.

ReputationRep:
    Should I have recieved an email about online matriculation by now? Just that I havent, but a friend says he got one a while back

ReputationRep:
    I receieved one on Tuesday and another yesterday (identical ¬¬) so you probably should have? Correct your personal details are correct (you can do this from econtracts) and if not you can always access it by going to Current Students and clicking on "Evision"

ReputationRep:
    Know its been asked before but just checking before I book some awesomely cheap return tickets home (£75 less than for getting there in two weeks, whoo!) but we can definitely go home during reading week for all subjects right? When is a good day to leave/come back?

ReputationRep:
    Know its been asked before but just checking before I book some awesomely cheap return tickets home (£75 less than for getting there in two weeks, whoo!) but we can definitely go home during reading week for all subjects right? When is a good day to leave/come back?
    Yes, it's cool. You might want to check the busses for getting you out of St Andrews, because they might be less regular and less convenient on a Sunday. So long as you're on top of any assignments due in after reading week, going away is no problem.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone doing psychology at st andrews?
    Im just wondering if there is a large segment in the course that covers early/child development and things like this?
    id like to go into the psychology field and work with children as part of my job.

ReputationRep:
    Are there lots of good-looking woman at St A's??? :P

ReputationRep:
    I hope so

ReputationRep:
    I'm choosing my modules, and have a possible timetable problem.

Does anyone know where the Computer Science lectures are? I have a Philosophy lecture right after CS1002. I think that the Mind and Reality lecture is in the Physics building, but I have no idea where "Honey 110 Subhons Lab." might be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by predius)
    I'm choosing my modules, and have a possible timetable problem.

Does anyone know where the Computer Science lectures are? I have a Philosophy lecture right after CS1002. I think that the Mind and Reality lecture is in the Physics building, but I have no idea where "Honey 110 Subhons Lab." might be.
    The John Honey building is just behind the maths department, so you'll have no issues getting between there and Physics. Try this to see. I am not sure which room is which inside, though. I think there might be a map when you get in.

If you have issues getting in, then go to the reception of the newer comp sci building behind the maths department. You usually need a magic-wavey-thing to open the doors to the John Honey building.

At jammydodger09, I think you will like the bop.

Edit: The map I linked is repeatedly messing up Google Chrome... not sure why. It's usually fine... there's probably a problem with adobe reader on this laptop.

ReputationRep:
    I would assume they're in the first year lab which is here

ReputationRep:
    It will take you all of about 30 seconds to get from John Honey to Physics. Maybe pushing 45 Seconds if you stop at the vending machine for a can of Coke.

EDIT: damn the Google Maps satellite imagery is old, the 'new' Computer Science building isn't even on there!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.