Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxy)
    Im confused on that as well, whether you have to pay extra fees on top of the membership just to the gym equip.
    Also, the Membership handbook says that all St Andrews matriculated students are automatically members of the AU. Which makes me even more confused.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    AU and Sports Centre are different things. If you use any of the facilities in the Sports Centre, you must pay the membership fee(even if you're using them as part of a sports club). This costs £33 a year. Then every time you go to use one of the facilities on the price guide predius linked to, you have to pay the price listed there. If you plan to use the fitness rooms often, you should invest in a multipass which works out cheaper than paying for single admission every time you go.

The East Sands leisure centre gym will cost either £230 or £161(concession) for an annual pass (I don't know if students count as concessions). This includes access to the (only) swimming pool in St A. However it's quite a walk out of town unless you're in Albany.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esteth)
    As far as I know, JBH hasn't really got any green space of it's own. However, you can head just down north street to the quad, where there's plenty of green space, and you're away from the traffic.
    Ahh cool, looks like the beach is only about 300 metres away too. I thought I read something about a garden at JBH, but I was probably imagining it or something...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    So do you think arriving any time prior to 9pm would be okay, or would you suggest getting there significantly earlier?
    Personally, I think arriving at just before lunch time was nice, but you're certainly not going to cripple yourself if you arrive later than that. 9PM isn't a definate cut-off either, just that's about the time people tend to start going out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by duracell)
    Just a quick question 'cause I'm in the midst of packing *shudder*
    I know some unis ask for them, and some don't, so do we need to bring our results certificates with us for matriculation or anything? If so, does it just have to be our most recent ones (for me, IB) or all the way back to GCSE as well?
    Thanks =)
    You do NOT need your results certificate for matriculation at St. Andrews. You should be able to matriculate online, in fact, if you log in over at the eVision site and follow the links.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowrockandice)
    Apart from the small bits of grass infront, has John Burnet got any decent outside space/gardens?
    Well I'm going to be in JBH this year, I don't know much about it in terms of layout but one of the JBH residents from last year (and believe she'll be staying in again this year) said that there is a garden because my room could well overlook it, although I couldn't tell you how big that might be, sorry. Other than that there is the quad just up North street, but more immediately there is the old course, and just over that the beach literally a minutes walk away!

ReputationRep:
    Erm. Well John burnet is pretty close to the beach... does that count?

ReputationRep:
    Ooo I was just wondering if any of the tribal elders had any info/advice/gossip on the music department? The academic module side of it...I'm desperately trying to find my third subject for second year, and there aren't that many options, the ones I want to do clash with my History modules (eurggh!), and everything else needs a pre-requisite, apart from a few I've found in the Philosophy, Divinity and Music departments. There is one quite interesting looking music module, but theres surprisingly little info on the modules and I don't know much about the department, my thoughts were that it wasn't a *real* department, kind of a part time one which worries me a little bit in terms of support/quality/teaching etc, so just wondering if anyone had any info?!
    I could always go for 1000 level modules to make up my credits, I'm having a slight breakdown and I'm now terrified of doing my original third subject so I'm thinking about changing it in freshers week when I see my advisor!
    Anyways, cheers guys!

ReputationRep:
    Do we have to pick up our room key when we arrive on the 19th? Does anyone know where we get our keys?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quo)
    Do we have to pick up our room key when we arrive on the 19th? Does anyone know where we get our keys?
    Depends where you are living.

ReputationRep:
    I know that for University Hall, at least, our keys were in the hall office when we arrived, ready to be picked up. You will need an ID with you though, so remember to bring a passport or a drivers liscence with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quo)
    I would assume that it'll be clear where to go since I'm sure there'll be loads of people there. I'm expecting to do a lot of waiting :P

ReputationRep:
    I know that for University Hall, at least, our keys were in the hall office when we arrived, ready to be picked up. You will need an ID with you though, so remember to bring a passport or a drivers liscence with you.
    Pretty sure I got away with a youngscot card too....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bucky!)
    I would assume that it'll be clear where to go since I'm sure there'll be loads of people there. I'm expecting to do a lot of waiting :P
    For DRA, you go into the facilities building, people will then give you the freshers literature, and then you walk on into the canteen bit and to the table for your block and pick up your keys (your cardkey and your cupboard key).
    I didn't have to wait at all, but then I did arrive quite early on, about 11am, it did get pretty busy after lunch. Town was as busy as hell though, I spent a good 25mins waiting in line in the now unfortunately deceased Woolworths (god bless, we miss you)...so expect a wait in Tescos and the like. Obviously bread, milk and tea bags are the first to go so try and get there early or plan ahead! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Is it normal that my parents are going to help me move in? :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    Is it normal that my parents are going to help me move in? :/
    Yep, perfectly normal! I think most peoples parents do, unless you drive yourself there (of which last year I knew 0 people who did), or if you've come from abroad, many people parents don't come over... but yeh, tis normal :yep:

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, does anyone have any experience with mobile broadband here in st andrews? thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know whether we need to bring original documents with us, like our exam diplomas/ucas letters/etc?

EDIT: never mind, I should have checked the previous page!

ReputationRep:
    How much work are we expected to do per day/week?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.