The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Eyes
Unfortunately I don't have a piano, only a keyboard at the moment. :sad:

What do you play?

I only have a few good keyboards kicking around, we had to ditch our piano when we moved into an apartment... but I have one of those keyboards where you can record 32 tracks with different instruments and things for all my composing. I'm more of a jazz musician than anything else though, and started writing some soul and funk.

Are you a classical player? Jazz?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Speaking of pianos- I'm getting piano lessons next semester, woo! Bout time too after a year and a half of not playing.
Anyway, QUESTION- how do you change your modules for next semester? I can't actually remember who my adviser is but I emailled someone who I really hope is her and she hasnt responded. This is most irritating. I am NOT doing Spanish for another semester.
Bella_trixxx
Speaking of pianos- I'm getting piano lessons next semester, woo! Bout time too after a year and a half of not playing.
Anyway, QUESTION- how do you change your modules for next semester? I can't actually remember who my adviser is but I emailled someone who I really hope is her and she hasnt responded. This is most irritating. I am NOT doing Spanish for another semester.

Not sure if it varies between departments, but I couldn't find my advisor a while back and one of my lecturers was able to change my modules for me instead. If there's anyone else you can ask, then they might be able to help out before lectures start again.
Reply 4703
Hi,

I'm taking the course Animal-Plant Interactions, and it is supposedly held in St Mary's Lecture Room 1. Can anyone tell me where this is? Is it in the Bute building or somewhere else?

Thanks!
Someone told me on a different thread that St. As student satisfaction ratings are a fix? :o:
It's under the 'foreign languages' section of university courses.

:/
Reply 4705
hiii,

i applied to st.andrews uni for medicine and they required the Uk CAT TEST .
what score should i get in this test !! and is there any preparation course for it or should study it at home !!
:frown:
Bella_trixxx

why don't you like Spanish? :o:
annab1684
why don't you like Spanish? :o:

I can't do it! My degree is Russian and too much of another language just confuzzles me :frown:
Bella_trixxx
I can't do it! My degree is Russian and too much of another language just confuzzles me :frown:

okay :smile: So long as it's not because of the teachers/lectures or the course! :p:
I hope you get your problem sorted out :smile:
annab1684
okay :smile: So long as it's not because of the teachers/lectures or the course! :p:
I hope you get your problem sorted out :smile:

Oh no, I love my class and the lecturers (well, some of them) loads, it's ust I've lost my passion for the language is all! :frown: Are you applying to Spanish at St A's? If so I'm sure you'll love it, don't worry :smile:
Bella_trixxx
Oh no, I love my class and the lecturers (well, some of them) loads, it's ust I've lost my passion for the language is all! :frown: Are you applying to Spanish at St A's? If so I'm sure you'll love it, don't worry :smile:

Yeah, I've got an offer for French and Spanish (post A-level). I'm choosing between there and Durham.. :smile:
Can anyone here point me towards detailed course descriptions?
I can only find the propective student stuff and it doesn't go into much detail..
Reply 4712
annab1684
Can anyone here point me towards detailed course descriptions?
I can only find the propective student stuff and it doesn't go into much detail..

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/admissions/ug//Choosingyourdegree/Coursecatalogue/ has PDFs detailing course contents.

Scroll down and you'll see each school has 2 PDFs: one describing 1st and 2nd year modules, and another for honours modules.
doobrain
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/admissions/ug//Choosingyourdegree/Coursecatalogue/ has PDFs detailing course contents.

Scroll down and you'll see each school has 2 PDFs: one describing 1st and 2nd year modules, and another for honours modules.

:o: it's really difficult to understand!
You know when it says a number of hours next to teaching? Is that per week or altogether?
I can't get my head around how many modules you have to take :s-smilie:
What's a 'session'?
Oh dear.. I fail at this! The Durham one is easier to understand. :facepalm:
A session is a semester.

And usually it's teaching hours per week.

You take enough modules so that you have 120 credits per year (that's 60credits a semester.) You can go over this, but you need the credits to advance.
Hi,

I was just looking over some details about the "Gateway to Physics and Engineering" course and apparently it provides 30-40 contact hours per week. I remember reading somewhere that in 1st year you usually get 20 contact hours. What I haven't been able to find out is whether or not this 20 hours refers to your "main subject" AND outside modules? Just as an example, if someone was to do Physics, Maths and X, would 20 hours be only for Physics, Physics & Maths or all three?

I'm just trying to work out how much extra work (if any) I'd have to do compared to people on the 'normal' course if I accepted the offer.

Cheers :smile:!
Reply 4716
CallumFR
Hi,

I was just looking over some details about the "Gateway to Physics and Engineering" course and apparently it provides 30-40 contact hours per week. I remember reading somewhere that in 1st year you usually get 20 contact hours. What I haven't been able to find out is whether or not this 20 hours refers to your "main subject" AND outside modules? Just as an example, if someone was to do Physics, Maths and X, would 20 hours be only for Physics, Physics & Maths or all three?

I'm just trying to work out how much extra work (if any) I'd have to do compared to people on the 'normal' course if I accepted the offer.

Cheers :smile:!

It would be 20 hours between all your modules. You would then be expected to do 20 more (around this figure) in your own time.

I expect the gateway program is more like highschool/college (I don't mean this in a disparaging way at all), hence the more contact time.

The gateway course will probably be easier material, and you'll get your hand held a lot more on the way through; that is the nature of the course. I would recommend the full normal course if possible - the gateway program is only for people not able to get straight on to the full course.
Ok, thanks for answering my question :smile:

I'd prefer to just do the normal course, but with less than 5 As, lots of competition and an offer for the gateway course, I think the chances of me getting an offer for the normal course are very small indeed!
Reply 4718
CallumFR
Ok, thanks for answering my question :smile:

I'd prefer to just do the normal course, but with less than 5 As, lots of competition and an offer for the gateway course, I think the chances of me getting an offer for the normal course are very small indeed!

Yeah, they might be - that is where the gateway course comes in. It is for students who just missed the main course, and offers them a chance to join the degree program at a later stage (having proved themselves in the gateway).

It's up to you what you do, though :smile:

ps if you're writing back to someone it's helpful if you quote them - that way they can see you've replied! Thanks buddy.
Reply 4719
So what do St Andrew's students do at night?

What is the union "night club" like?

What is the St Andrew's nightlife like?

Many Thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending