Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fg08)
    Thanks Do you know if this account is also available for international students from the EU?
    http://www.rbs.co.uk/personal/studen...#tabs=section1

ReputationRep:
    C=Just got an unconditional for Maths so thought I'd ask a couple of questions!

Is there a HSBC branch in town?

How many theatre (musicals especially) societies are there and often do they put on shows?

How easy is it to get a job there? Would it be worth going down early to try get one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJ99)
    C=Just got an unconditional for Maths so thought I'd ask a couple of questions!

Is there a HSBC branch in town?

How many theatre (musicals especially) societies are there and often do they put on shows?

How easy is it to get a job there? Would it be worth going down early to try get one?
    I don't think there is a HSBC in St As, but I'm pretty sure there'll be one in Dundee if you're wanting to stick with your current bank.

There are many many drama and musical/opera societies, like too many to mention! Mermaids, CMaD, Just So, Gilbert and Sullivan, Rogue, and that's what I can think of off the top of my head, but seriously there are productions all the time!

Jobs are ok to find, there are so many cafes and bars, and the uni also emply people. If you are close to St As it may be worth nipping over beforehand so that you can get something sorted early on if you are sure you want to work, as there probs will be a rush at the beginning of semester, but if you can't make it, I wouldn't worry too much.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks sophie!
    I live in glasgow so I might nip up and try. Or just quit my gap year job and head up early as I don't really like this job!

ReputationRep:
    This is especially a question for sophie_c cause she's studying biology and french. Do you know if I would be allowed to take biology as my third subject in my first two years even if Im in the arts faculty?
    You are doing French and biology so this is technically possible, isnt it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fg08)
    This is especially a question for sophie_c cause she's studying biology and french. Do you know if I would be allowed to take biology as my third subject in my first two years even if Im in the arts faculty?
    You are doing French and biology so this is technically possible, isnt it?
    Ok well, my degree is actually Biology with French, and I am in the last year which is being allowed to continue it to honours, as they are dropping the french for science course (I don't have any classes with Arts students at all, and our course content is science based rather than literature based) so my circumstances are a little different to other courses.

Basically, yes you should be able to take Biology as your 3rd subject. I think the only thing is that you have to have more credits in your faculty than the other (so you'd have to do more arts than science modules if your honours subject is Arts) ---This was again slightly different for me seeing as my honours degree is split between Arts and Science (it gets quite confusing!). So yes, as long as your other 2 modules are arts, taking Biology should be absolutely fine. The only big factor to take into consideration is class-time clashes. What will your other 2 modules be? I may have some idea when you have classes, and I know when all the 1st (and 2nd) year Bio modules are.
    The problem may be that some Arts subjects have afternoon lectures, and in Biology you will be required to do a 3 hr lab at least once a week...so may be clashing issues there... but then if you're in an Arts subject which has no lectures on, say a Fri or Wed, of which there are many, you could easily opt for a lab on the day you're free usually.

So yeh, which subjects will you be doing, and I may be able to give you a more clear answer lol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie_c)
    Ok well, my degree is actually Biology with French, and I am in the last year which is being allowed to continue it to honours, as they are dropping the french for science course (I don't have any classes with Arts students at all, and our course content is science based rather than literature based) so my circumstances are a little different to other courses.

Basically, yes you should be able to take Biology as your 3rd subject. I think the only thing is that you have to have more credits in your faculty than the other (so you'd have to do more arts than science modules if your honours subject is Arts) ---This was again slightly different for me seeing as my honours degree is split between Arts and Science (it gets quite confusing!). So yes, as long as your other 2 modules are arts, taking Biology should be absolutely fine. The only big factor to take into consideration is class-time clashes. What will your other 2 modules be? I may have some idea when you have classes, and I know when all the 1st (and 2nd) year Bio modules are.
    The problem may be that some Arts subjects have afternoon lectures, and in Biology you will be required to do a 3 hr lab at least once a week...so may be clashing issues there... but then if you're in an Arts subject which has no lectures on, say a Fri or Wed, of which there are many, you could easily opt for a lab on the day you're free usually.

So yeh, which subjects will you be doing, and I may be able to give you a more clear answer lol?

I'll be doing a joint honours degree in International Relations and Economics. Thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to come to a St Andrews open day in April (probably the 14th) going Newcastle -> Leuchars on the train. How much is a return bus fare (roughly) from Leuchars to St Andrews?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LGF92)
    I'm hoping to come to a St Andrews open day in April (probably the 14th) going Newcastle -> Leuchars on the train. How much is a return bus fare (roughly) from Leuchars to St Andrews?
    It's really not much at all. I admit I don't actually know, as I always get a train from Dundee to go up north, but a return bus to Dundee is £5, and Leuchars is a lot closer to St Andrews than Dundee (about half as far)
    I'm sure there will be someone else on here who can accurately answer your qu though!
    Hope you enjoy the open day!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by LGF92)
    It was £4.25 at the end of January, don't think there have been any fare hikes since.

If anyone is interested, the reason that a return to Dundee is comparatively cheap, it's because you get student discount in Tayside but not in Fife(except for on the DRA bus ).

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to take economics modules with only maths to GCSE level and would this impair my grades in any way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoodleVibe)
    Is it possible to take economics modules with only maths to GCSE level and would this impair my grades in any way?
    If you are applying for economics, I dont believe A level Maths is a necessity but I guess may possibly be an advantage. I can't say for sure though. I'm sure someone else on here knows better.

If you just want to do economics modules to make up the required credits then yes you can do it with just GCSE. I did and enjoyed it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theshefschef)
    If you are applying for economics, I dont believe A level Maths is a necessity but I guess may possibly be an advantage. I can't say for sure though. I'm sure someone else on here knows better.

If you just want to do economics modules to make up the required credits then yes you can do it with just GCSE. I did and enjoyed it
    At the moment, it'd be to make up the required credits in 1st and 2nd years. Whether I'd swap onto it at a later date I don't know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoodleVibe)
    At the moment, it'd be to make up the required credits in 1st and 2nd years. Whether I'd swap onto it at a later date I don't know!
    Then, yes there is no issue with that at all :top:

ReputationRep:
    If I do Econ-Maths-Arabic modules, can I occasionally sit in on philosophy and neuroscience lectures?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yodude888)
    If I do Econ-Maths-Arabic modules, can I occasionally sit in on philosophy and neuroscience lectures?
    Yeah - a good few people do this. It's no problem at all

It's good because you can go along and get a feel for the material without having to actually do tutorials/exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yodude888)
    As a matriculated student, you can attend any lecture you fancy! You won't have to do the work, and you won't be able to attend tutorials/labs, but if you're interested, go for it!

ReputationRep:
    Is 120 credits the minimum or maximum number you can take in a year? Cos my compulsory modules for the first year add up to 120, but I want to do a couple of smaller ones (Modern Greek) on the side.

ReputationRep:
    120 credits is a minimum, but it's not completely free in what you can do on top of that. In general i've heard the school of arts are a bit iffy about letting people do extra.

ReputationRep:
    The norm is 60 per semester. I have done 90 credits at 2nd year level in one semester, but that had the feel of, "as soon as I slip, I'm going to fall and lose control of everything". It was possible to still get good marks, though. I think they don't allow you to do more than a certain number of credits per semester, and I think that 90 should be near that cut-off point.

If your modules don't quite add up, they'd usually let you do, say, 55 and 65 in two semesters, so that they add up. They'd probably not mind if you went 5 or 10 credits over 120 in the year.

I'm going to be 15 credits under this year, but it's ok because I mashed up modules in my two honours years and did extra in third year, so everything adds up overall.

If you're not allowed to take all the modules you want, then it's likely you can still attend the extra ones without doing them officially. My motivation for this always wanes around week 3 or 4, when I need to start working :rolleyes:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.