Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My escapade into the North Sea yesterday was entirely sober. I think I see myself in the second to last picture. I was standing over by the wall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mishy1121)
    boo! i'm leaving on the 14th. for some reason, it's 250 dollars cheaper leaving on the 14th as opposed to the 15th. that's 250 dollars more that i can put toward my travels! (i better have seen all of Europe by the time i graduate)

plus, i can just sleep that whole day before freshers week at a hotel, because between the time difference and the red-eye flight i'll be dead. and no one wants to hang out with a zombie michele!
    Oh thanks for that! On Continental, it's only $842 inluding tax to fly from Detroit to Edinburgh (and back again). Cheapest I've been able to find by far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mbm1087)
    Just found out that there isn't an overseas week. Apparently when they did it, all of the Americans became really close and alienated themselves from the rest of the student body. Now they just incorporate the overseas stuff into freshers week. I guess it makes sense. So, see you all on September 16th!!!!
    on the 16th? is that when freshers week starts? Ha i don't envy the jetlag!

i think we all need name badges with our usernames and real names on so that we can put faces to the names!!lol then if we do all find ourselves on the train from the airport we won't all look like divs later when we find out we were all sat with eachother. either that or you'll get the freaky situation of ppl sidling up to you and asking "are you parrotman" etc in a covert spylike fashion. the count down begins 137 days methinks [yes i'm sad and have counted]
    i really will be devastated if i don't get my grades!!
    Can't wait to meet all you lovely ppl. it will be quite nice to vaguely know some ppl

ReputationRep:
    Ninja style time....are you Blondemoment. XD I can just imagine that happening on the first week.

We will have a meet up probably sometime in a pub during freshers, I guess we can also try and organise paintball as well the week before, so we would have to have the sign up list on here and i'll make some calls and see whether it's even possible.

I'm so happy I won't be getting jet lag. About the merger of freshers and continental I guess that's probably better, means less cliqueness I guess(well apart from the TSR clique). Like Blondemoment, i'm really looking forward to getting to know you all, unless my exams spoil that.

ReputationRep:
    "Are you parrotman?" hahaha... too funny to picture...

I wrote my first exam this morning! It was weird, because I wasn't nervous at all, but I couldn't sleep ALL NIGHT. When I got up at 5 AM (out of frustration), I was TERRIFIED- thought I'd fail and not get to go to St. Andrews

Thank GOD the exam was SO easy- I for sure maintained the mark I needed in English that's one step closer to St. Andrews!

That's big news that they decided to remove the overseas weekend before freshers. I think I'm glad- I was worried about North American cliquiness, and much prefer the idea of integration.

I believe the plan for me is to fly from Pearson in Toronto to Gatwick near London, then stay in London for a few days, do some shopping etc. After that, I think I'll either train from King's Cross or fly from Stansted to Edinburgh and take the train to Leuchars. It depends on how much stuff I have with me.

Do any of you know what the dealio is on shipping your things to St. Andrews? Is it possible, how much can you ship and how around how much would it cost?

ReputationRep:
    hehe gatwick near london. lolyou can tell your not english!
    well done with your exam by the way

ReputationRep:
    ...is Gatwick in London? I've done the trip before, and I always take the subway to Victoria Station. It takes like an hour, so I figured that was right..?

ReputationRep:
    no no just made me chuckle as its just that i reckon every english person knows gatwick, hethrow and standsted are the london airports. its near not in. sorry, feel bad now.....you were entirely correct
    as with subway! you can take the mick out of my englishisms feel free!- "by gosh old boy fancy watching some cricket and having tea and crumpets?"--> that sort of thing. i feel i'm digging the hole deeper....

ReputationRep:
    Gatwick is awful, just simply awful, it takes ages to get to. I love Heathrow and Stansted!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by birkstopher40)
    Do any of you know what the dealio is on shipping your things to St. Andrews? Is it possible, how much can you ship and how around how much would it cost?
    I don't know how much it costs but I know that they don't charge duty fees on things you 'import' for school- clothes, cooking stuff, computer, etc. Anything I have over one suitcase and one carry on bag is going to be shipped for me because I'm coming over alone and don't have the extra hands to deal with all that baggage. So... I will be bringing clothes and a laptop. Ha.

ReputationRep:
    MMmm sounds like I'll be doing the same, then!

ReputationRep:
    If you ship things to St. Andrews and you're not there yet, does the school just hold on to it? I'm probably going to ship things too, but I'd really like to have it there waiting for me so I can unpack it all at once.

Good luck on exams everyone!!

ReputationRep:
    Nope. I've read this over at the Sinner I think. If your stuff gets to the dorms before they're open and you're not there, they send it back. So my best suggestion would be to ship it the day before you leave. Unless you are going early like I am. I'll probably head over the beginning of September and stay in Edinburgh for a few weeks. A professor at my current university has a ton of friends there who will let me stay for free for a bit while I wait to start at St. Andrews.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much! I probably would have tried to send it, and would have been really frusturated when it got sent back!

ReputationRep:
    Haha nametags with usernames? Alternatively, we could look particularly stupid and make t-shirts with our usernames on them and The Student Room on the back. That way everyone (ourselves included) would know not to mess with us and our cliqueiness! A uniform of sorts. And we could wield swords or something just for dramatic effect. Just kidding obviously... I don't really advocate anything that makes me look more even more ridiculous than I already am.

ReputationRep:
    or you could all decide to wear a certain colour or something..

"I'll be wearing orange and carrying a red rose" or whatever it is you're supposed to do when meeting people blind.

or you could just exchange photographs. :P

ReputationRep:
    I'll be the one carrying a spork.

ReputationRep:
    lol. it'd have to be a big one... and you'd have to wave it over your head.

ReputationRep:
    er whats a spork?

icecadle or anyone do apple macs work on St Andrews system?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blondemoment)
    er whats a spork?

icecadle or anyone do apple macs work on St Andrews system?
    They do indeed. In fact, IT Services is considering buying some new Macs for the university.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.