Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sambo2)
    we can do femsoc at the same time
    I thought femsoc was effectively banned years ago?

Could definitely be fun though.

EDIT, I'm thinking of prolife soc, now they were a bunch of nutters!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, let's throw fruit at everyone who disagrees with us! This is a brilliant idea and not at all unpleasant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meteorshower)
    You can go to the freshers fayre and join then, and they'll be able to do you if they have events on after that and stuff. Generally you sign up to a society and you'll get on the mailing list, which will keep you well informed on stuff happening.
    Ok, thanks for the reply.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know when exam results are out, just out of interest?

ReputationRep:
    It'll be the third of june or something round about then, thats when it was last year (I think)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragon500uk)
    It'll be the third of june or something round about then, thats when it was last year (I think)
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (You))
    Are there more English students than Scottish students? That’s the impression I gathered at the open day; I was rather intimidated by the number of English applicants/students there. I didn’t speak to one Scottish person that day. :lolwut:
    People say it is about 1/3 English, 1/3 Scottish and 1/3 overseas (mostly American and Chinese). I'd say it's slightly more than 1/3 English though, but still...we're not that intimidating, are we? :p:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by (You))
    I don't want to end up the only 17 year old there. :o:
    You won't be, I knew plenty of 17 yr olds when I was in first year. I feel old now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ENNGUF)
    Is it possible to get a conditional? I just get the impression that you either get an unconditional or an unsuccessful (probably because of competition)?
    I'm an outdated resource on this kind of thing... last I was aware, unconditionals were mostly for people who were on a year off from studying. This may have changed since I stopped paying attention.

If you look in the applicants 2010 thread then some people have their offers in their signatures and there seem to be plenty of people with relatively demanding conditional offers... although there do seem to be quite a few people with unconditionals. If you're really interested then you could do a new thread with a poll and see how many people have conditionals, how many have unconditionals and are still studying, and how many have unconditionals and are on a year out. Just make sure it's obvious that it's for St Andrews this year or random people will come in, vote, then complain about having done it wrong :p:

ReputationRep:
    Are you not Scottish/sat Highers? :erm:
    Yes and yes... and I got a conditional... over 4 years ago. The trend in what kind of offers are usually made may have changed since then.

Meteorshower definitely got an offer of some kind It's in his signature.

ReputationRep:
    Was that for second year entry, your offer?
    It was for direct entry into the second year of a 5-year Masters in Maths and Theoretical Physics. I switched to Maths at the end of my first year.

ReputationRep:
    Oh. I think Meteorshower did as well or something. Ahhh!

Does one have any chance of getting a conditional for first year entry?
    As I said I'm not sure what the norm is for current offers. I'd be surprised if they don't make up a significant amount of all offers but I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    I about to start the matriculation process and was just wondering, when you choose your 2 other subjects. Can you choose any of these subjects (I know medicine would be a no no, any others?)

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spears)
    I about to start the matriculation process and was just wondering, when you choose your 2 other subjects. Can you choose any of these subjects (I know medicine would be a no no, any others?)

Thanks
    Essentially anything is available as long as they are in the same faculty as you (e.g. arts/science/etc)
    I know some subjects are becoming more and more serious over accepting loads of people. Others might need to correct me but I think IR has started needing the 3 A's at A level to do it regardless of whether it is your degree or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theshefschef)
    Essentially anything is available as long as they are in the same faculty as you (e.g. arts/science/etc)
    I know some subjects are becoming more and more serious over accepting loads of people. Others might need to correct me but I think IR has started needing the 3 A's at A level to do it regardless of whether it is your degree or not.
    Thanks
    Oh riiight...so has to be in the same faculty? I've been accepted into Biology, and funnily enough International Relations was the one I was interested in.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    Oh riiight...so has to be in the same faculty? I've been accepted into Biology, and funnily enough International Relations was the one I was interested in.
    I think you should put IR if that's what you want to do. I'm doing Physics but I've put Hebrew and Arabic as my other modules. There's no harm in trying and putting a different subject if that's what your interested in, and if you find out you can't do it when you see your Adviser then you can pick something else.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    Definitely put IR if that's what you want to do. I'm not 100% on that anyway, it was only something Id heard in a conversation. Someone may well correct me anyway. It may also just have been for last academic year because there were almost 700 doing the subject!!
    Still put it down, if you want to do it and get to do it, everything is good. If they say no, there's plenty of other options, but at least you asked

ReputationRep:
    Cool well im on the module selector thing right now and the IR modules are there for selecting. I think ill click them and just wait and see what happens haha

ReputationRep:
    Seeing all this chat of module choices worries me... Do we need to sort them now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluorescent_adolescent)
    Seeing all this chat of module choices worries me... Do we need to sort them now?
    We have until august I think

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.