Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fg08)
    How long are modules normally? I thought about taking maths as my third subject but it would start at 9am and my next IR lecture already starts at 10am. Is it possible to do that? ah and btw does anyone know how to find out on which days lectures and tutorials are? The advising website only gives information about the time but not about the day? Thanks for the help!
    If i recall correctly first year IR modules are held in the science buildings, (probably purdie) as the arts biggest theatre (buchanan) isnt big enough so it would be fine I think if u took both maths and IR in first semester.

ReputationRep:
    thanks ImperceptibleNinja n Bucky

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

I'm an international student from Singapore and I will be taking the GCE A-Levels examinations this year. I am very much interested in studying International Relations at St. Andrews, but I have some questions that I hope someone here can answer! I would appreciate that soooo much ((:.

1. Does anybody knows what the annual intake for the course (IR) is at St. Andrews?
    2. Is there an interview process (like at Oxbridge)?
    3. Does St. Andrews place a lot of emphasis on your curricular activities in school? (because I know that US universities care about that. A lot.)
    4. About St. Andrews (the town) -- is it easily accessible? What's the nearest airport? I was watching some videos that featured some parts of St. Andrews but it looked a little... secluded ><.
    5. Does the university allow double majors? (I was thinking of majoring in international relations and history...)

That's all! Thank you very much for all your help and I hope I can actually you guys next year at St. Andrews!!! (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jmism)
    Hi there!

I'm an international student from Singapore and I will be taking the GCE A-Levels examinations this year. I am very much interested in studying International Relations at St. Andrews, but I have some questions that I hope someone here can answer! I would appreciate that soooo much ((:.

1. Does anybody knows what the annual intake for the course (IR) is at St. Andrews?
    3. Does St. Andrews place a lot of emphasis on your curricular activities in school? (because I know that US universities care about that. A lot.)
    4. About St. Andrews (the town) -- is it easily accessible? What's the nearest airport? I was watching some videos that featured some parts of St. Andrews but it looked a little... secluded ><.
    5. Does the university allow double majors? (I was thinking of majoring in international relations and history...)

That's all! Thank you very much for all your help and I hope I can actually you guys next year at St. Andrews!!! (:
    1 -no idea - in excess of 200 I think
    2 - no
    3 - personal statement is crucial at st andrews, particularly for IR, and I geuss extra currics are a part of that
    4 - Its pretty accessable - 40 mins or so from edinburgh (where there is an airport) on the train or 20 mins from dundee on a bus (where there is also an airport)
    5 - yes, well I think so anyway..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jmism)
    Hi there!

3. There isn't as much emphasis on extra-curricular as in American University, but saying that, It DOES help to set you apart.

5. Yes it does. You'd have to check whether that combination is ok with an IR admissions tutor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kyjeunette)
    Howdy,
    I'm from the U.S and want to attend St. Andrews for my postgraduate degree in Film Studies.

I received my Bachelors degree in Film from a university in New York and finished the year with a 3.5 overall GPA.

I know that St. Andrews is one of the top universities in Scotland and really am clueless as to whether I will get in. I am applying to other universities as well.

I need some help figuring out what my chances are, below is my qualifications.

- bachelors degree in film
    - 2 excellent references
    - 2 writing samples, each a 1,000 word critique of films
    - relevant work history (internship at prestigious independent film distribution company)
    - I won best documentary my thesis year
    - i received Deans List 5 semesters out of 8

Okay, well thats what I have. Any help provided is most helpful!!!

thank you in advance
    nobody will be able to answer this.. we don't know what the competition this year is like etc .. I'm geussing your chances are reasonable, as far as I'm aware film studies is not massively competitive in the same way that IR etc is.

ReputationRep:
    IR is hard to get into, motherf*cker!. (Samuel L Jackson moment)

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was just wondering if any students who have lived in Fife Park (the old version) could answer two questions for me:
    Is Room 1 on the first floor, and
    Does every bedroom have a window?
    Thanks very much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedRalleigh)
    Hi, I was just wondering if any students who have lived in Fife Park (the old version) could answer two questions for me:
    Is Room 1 on the first floor, and
    Does every bedroom have a window?
    Thanks very much
    Didnt live in Fife, but the answers will be yes, if by first floor you mean ground floor, and yes again.

ReputationRep:
    Are there any current postgrads that would be able to answer questions? ^_^

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to post this in here too:
    http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/Su...ort%202009.pdf

Its the admissions report for 2009, and has figures for 2008 and 2007. Its helpful for any students who want to know what the application/entrant ratios are like, and what the average grades are etc

(This is a little off topic for this thread but I can't find the chat thread!) What is particularly interesting for returning students is the last page (as well as being able to see how many people you beat in getting a place on the first page hehe!), where it gives the figures for overall intake the last couple of years. Basically it shows that the Uni did indeed have a bit of a **** up in 08, giving out too many offers, and therefore gave less out in 09. But interestingly it also shows that, despite having to cut back on numbers, the Uni seems keen to let in a lot of overseas applicants still but restrict the number of UK and Euro students coming in....cough*moneymoneymoney*coug h....what do we think about that guys?! Maybe I'm just cynical
    (I'm all for overseas students being given places don't get me wrong! I just hate the Uni's money loving ways sometimes!)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Wasps26)
    This is awesome (although I'm too old to see figures for my year :eek: ).

I heard from a subject admissions tutor that they're being very strict with offers this year (you're not getting in if you don't have shiny grades!) again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wasps26)
    Oooh, that's pretty cool

It's interesting that the Scottish entry points are generally slightly lower than the English ones - I'm not sure what that reflects. I don't know what percentage of students get the top grade in A-level and what percent get the top grade in Scottish exams, but I'm sure I've heard people say the distributions are different, which might explain Scottish students having fewer points.
    I wouldn't take it as a reason for much concern either way, the points are generally fairly close so I doubt it's a big deal.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, if i'm reading it correctly it says that nearly 50% of those who apply from America get in... :p:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)

It's interesting that the Scottish entry points are generally slightly lower than the English ones - I'm not sure what that reflects. .
    Could it be that all English students have to have A-Levels which I assume are worth more than Highers in terms of UCAS, so they come with more points than those Scottish students who just come with Highers (and don't have any AHs)? I'm not sure I worded that right but you get the gist!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la_banane_verte)
    Could it be that all English students have to have A-Levels which I assume are worth more than Highers in terms of UCAS, so they come with more points than those Scottish students who just come with Highers (and don't have any AHs)? I'm not sure I worded that right but you get the gist!
    Yeah and a lot of scottish students have no incentive to try beyond highers aswell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ENNGUF)
    However I doubt that this is the case for people going to St Andrews... I think the vast majority would be taking at least one Advanced Higher, it’s probably because they’re not required for universities they are less popular and some decide to pick up new Highers (which are obviously worth less than AHs) etc. Also, I suspect most will have unconditionals so aren’t under pressure to get decent grades in 6th year. :dontknow:
    Knowing many scottish students at st andrews, I know that plenty of them did AH's but maybe got like ABB or worse not because they couldn't get higher, but there wasn't enough incentive. That doesn't look as good as say AAA or AAB at a level which is pretty much required for all courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la_banane_verte)
    Ahh, good point.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    To the current students who were given a conditional
    What info did you receive after your status was changed to unconditional and how long after your results were you given the info? Like, finding out accommodation, picking modules, etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ecosse_14)
    To the current students who were given a conditional
    What info did you receive after your status was changed to unconditional and how long after your results were you given the info? Like, finding out accommodation, picking modules, etc?
    I think I had applied for accommodation when my offer was still condition but if its not your first choice, I'm not sure you can do that.

Picking module, they email you about, they'll send you your log in details so you can pre advise, i assume soon after your results, as its only 4weeks till freshers. You can be looking at modules now though.

Hope this helps.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.