The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

thank you, spoon/fork i get it! i was thinking it had something to do with star trek.

for the recognising bit, i think we all should wear tweed, of a certain shade.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 481
just to make sure: edinburgh turnhouse - same thing as edinburgh airport? :confused:
Yup it is, the airport is named turnhouse, and I would imagine that you will probably take the train from there. The station you need is called Edinburgh Waverly (there is and airport bus to and from it or you can take a taxi)

Leuchars is on the Edinburgh-Dyce line just in case you wanted to know as well. :smile:
Reply 483
oh my, you write a lot! haven't been in here for a couple of days and you've written pages!

so, paintball sounds fun, we definitely must do that. I don't know about swimming, absolutely love it but in the sea in september...meh.... speaking of swimming, does anyone know if there is an indoor swimmingpool or similar for students to use?

what are you all going to bring with you to st a? I'm hoping for a catered accommodation so I thought I would just bring clothes, my computer, some books... nothing big. Is there something I definitely should bring? or something which is entirely unnecessary to bring?
ebonyphoenix
Haha nametags with usernames? Alternatively, we could look particularly stupid and make t-shirts with our usernames on them and The Student Room on the back. That way everyone (ourselves included) would know not to mess with us and our cliqueiness! A uniform of sorts. And we could wield swords or something just for dramatic effect. Just kidding obviously... I don't really advocate anything that makes me look more even more ridiculous than I already am. :biggrin:

Argh me hearties, today we shall wear black and white as our uniform and go paintballing! :p:

I think it will be great to have people we know to a certain extent there. At least if one of us is struggling we have someone there, or a little group who we can prod.
Reply 485
i'm all for some sort of uniforms... tweed would be pretty exciting, blondemoment, lol. we could decide on a day and meet up at some pub and it would be funny to watch everyone staring at the people who enter, trying to decide if they match the uniform. then we could make everyone guess what our username is. i think i'd be fairly amused at that. then we could all go off paintballing... heh.
iv recently seen a movie where you either carry a book or a flower, i'm sure its been done elsewhere but was an idea. i was going to say that every1 switch their bluetooth on their fones on so when you walk in you username will appear but sadly my new fone is lacking in that department! :frown: i doubt everyone would have BTooth though.

PROD? parrotman, with a large stick.
The book works well, but either way we will sort out some kind of way. I was thinking of having paintballing on a free day though as otherwise it might clash with something else/it'll take about 3 hours to get there. (15min bus, 1 hour train,30min taxi probably) so it's quite the hefty distance.

*Kicks self to start revising more to make this happen.*

Yes to prod or poke someone Blondemoment. (Disclaimer:Yes, I am a little mad)
Reply 488
rofl, uniforms? what have we become.....:rofl:
Yeaaahhh I'm thinking uniforms would cause us to ONLY have TSR friends for the next 4 years haha

Why don't we all just meet at a certain landmark at a certain time, and wear normal clothing! Tweed is optional as well, of course :wink:
Reply 490
birkstopher40
Why don't we all just meet at a certain landmark at a certain time, and wear normal clothing!

But where is the fun in that?! :p:
Yes, where indeed is the fun in that? We certainly don't want to make people think we are normal or anything. :biggrin: But yeah, I was seriously kidding.
Reply 492
I'm actually a mac freak myself. :biggrin: so yes.

train... buses... if you're lost just follow the swells of students. :wink:

Dude, am I invited to your gettogether? I know I'm not a first year... (I'll be a third year. O.O)
Icecradle, without you, how would we pick a suitable venue/drinking establishment!!?? You have to be our guide i'd say! [as long as you pick us the nicest parents as we're special, lol :smile:] COME ALONG!! we hope that you 2 previous years have taught you how to get to said location and find one's way back [a little bleary eyed]

we say clique, but ANYONE is welcome as far as concerned

on the madness front and disclaimers, as i have introduced myself as dear old blondemoment please take this into account when/if you meet me.
madness, however makes life interesting
Course Icecradle, StAndrewsIR, and heck anyone else who wants to join in. Ah freshers week will be great. Amongst the mandness of matriculation a random paintball trip and a pub crawl.

About being normal, i'm with Birkstopher on his suggestion. :tongue: We can always be mad afterwards.
Reply 496
LOL... would be better to meet on the scores at the war memorial or the bandstand or something... otherwise people might just look like shoppers.
Reply 497
I'm back!!!

Meeting outside of Edinburgh Woolen Mill? No...just, no. Icecradle's suggestion of the memorial on The Scores is a good one - you get a lovely view of the north sea while you're waiting for people :wink:

Icecradle, without you, how would we pick a suitable venue/drinking establishment!!??

Letting Hannah pick a suitable drinking venue can be a bit iffy :p: When I met up with her and Skeve six months ago she suggested going to one of the pubs on North Street (I can't remember which one), whereas Skeve suggested Lafferty's on South Street. I agreed with Skeve, and the three of us met up at Lafferty's...turned out to be a good decision; the men's shinty team were on a pub crawl or something (getting a headstart on Raisin Weekend, I guess) - they left Lafferty's just as I arrived (I was early) and they made their way to the pub that Hannah had suggested. The shinty lads are hard drinkers, and quite a boistrous crowd when they're pished.

as long as you pick us the nicest parents as we're special, lol

I could be your dad :smile: Nice and friendly, and soon to be in my third year. I'm a very supportive person, too :wink:
Reply 498
so, the academic parent actually decides on his/her own who is going to be his/her academic... ehm... child(?)? is it really called academic child btw? i thought i'd be more a lottery type of thing. ooooh - if i get chosen last i hope i'll at least never find out! :frown:
Reply 499
martika
so, the academic parent actually decides on his/her own who is going to be his/her academic... ehm... child(?)? is it really called academic child btw? i thought i'd be more a lottery type of thing. ooooh - if i get chosen last i hope i'll at least never find out! :frown:

Yes, they decide themselves.
Yes, it would be an academic child (academic sons/daughters/children)

Although I class myself as an academic orphan, I actually got two academic mothers. One asked if I wanted to be her academic son and I accepted. I forgot all about her, then another girl asked if I wanted to be her academic son and again I accepted...it wasn't until a few days later that I suddenly remembered about the first girl :rolleyes:
In the end, I forgot both girls :redface: As a result, I no longer thought of myself as having academic parents anymore, so I stuck with some of my friends who were also academic orphans.

Latest

Trending

Trending