Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ritz07)
    Hey i just wanna know if after accepting an offer of the accommodation der is a possibility to ask for reallottment/room change.

Ok i am allotted the DRA LG1104 n i suppose its on the 4th floor as per the alumni who i met a couple of days ago. Could someone pls re-confirm the same for me.

Also is the fourth floor bad...plsss ppl highlight both positives n negatives.
    Oh, I'm in DRA/LG, too. Sounds like you're my neighbour? Hi

ReputationRep:
    Theres a direct London->aberdeen train that stops in leuchars a few times a day. You can get it cheap. It takes about 6 hours, no changes.

ReputationRep:
    For those pondering trains I booked a load last night, and found to my amusement that my cheapest tickets were first class.

ReputationRep:
    hii , am going to the university of st andrews this september , is there any placement exam when i arrived !!

and which accomodation better new hall or David Russell !!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Caramela)
    hii , am going to the university of st andrews this september , is there any placement exam when i arrived !!

and which accomodation better new hall or David Russell !!
    What subject are you doing? What would you consider a 'placement exam' to be? Sometimes for language classes there are assessments to work out which level to start you off at.

See Ultimate Accommodation Thread for any queries on accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    am doing the foundation medical programme

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caramela)
    am doing the foundation medical programme
    no are no exams until at least after reading week (and I don't even think there are MSA's for foundation students.)

ReputationRep:
    okk thanx u aloot !!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rizzo)
    Oh, I'm in DRA/LG, too. Sounds like you're my neighbour? Hi

Heyyy gud to knw. You're in which flat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terpineol)
    I far preferred living on the top floor to the ground or first floor. Its much quieter.

Have not yet rcvd any response frm d uni on d request i sent dem fr the lower floors n i doubt dey r gonna be responding...lets c.:rolleyes:

And thanks Terpineol for highlighting d noise factor...very very true...d stamping n ppl climbing stairs n all...the top floor would definitely b comparatively peaceful...

I really need to reconsider...i think i like d top floor now dat its peaceful, gives me party access n yess keeps me fit.

Thanks guys...feels gud.

One more question...would my building/room key card give me access only to my building or other buildings aswell within DRA.

Also in DRA do all rooms have windows?

ReputationRep:
    Have not yet rcvd any response frm d uni on d request i sent dem fr the lower floors n i doubt dey r gonna be responding...lets c.:rolleyes:

And thanks Terpineol for highlighting d noise factor...very very true...d stamping n ppl climbing stairs n all...the top floor would definitely b comparatively peaceful...

I really need to reconsider...i think i like d top floor now dat its peaceful, gives me party access n yess keeps me fit.

Thanks guys...feels gud.

One more question...would my building/room key card give me access only to my building or other buildings aswell within DRA.

Also in DRA do all rooms have windows?
    I think its law that every room in a dwelling must have a window of sufficient size to allow light in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxy)
    I think its law that every room in a dwelling must have a window of sufficient size to allow light in?
    Perhaps in scottish law, in england you don't need windows unless its a bedroom in which case there is a minimum size for fire escape purposes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terpineol)
    Perhaps in scottish law, in england you don't need windows unless its a bedroom in which case there is a minimum size for fire escape purposes.
    AFAIK in Scotland it's only bedrooms that need windows as well. Otherwise the DRA bathrooms would be breaking Scottish law :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bucky!)
    AFAIK in Scotland it's only bedrooms that need windows as well. Otherwise the DRA bathrooms would be breaking Scottish law :P
    An excellent point. Virtual high five methinks. The bike storage rooms at the bottom of the buildings too...

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok then thank god im not in DRA next year

ReputationRep:
    Thats exactly my concern...light and fresh air in the room...i don't want to be deprived of it....hehehehe (i know it would probably be too windy to open the windows though)

My other question was that would my building/room key card give me access only to my building/flat/room or other buildings/common rooms aswell within DRA or do we have separate cards issued?

ReputationRep:
    Also I want to buy a bike once in St Andrews. Would you reccommend buying one from Dundee or St Andrews. Else other options you would reccommend. If you could also highlight on the pricing a little.

ReputationRep:

My other question was that would my building/room key card give me access only to my building/flat/room or other buildings/common rooms aswell within DRA or do we have separate cards issued?
    Your key card will give you access to your building, your flat and your room. It will give you access to no other residential building, flat or room. If you live on the ground floor, then your key card will not open the building (since ground floor flats are accessible from outside the building). Your key card will also open the front door (not the back door) to the facilities building when they are locked.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why it would necessarily be too windy to open windows...

The keycards access your room door, your flat door (and building door if needed), the facilities building, computer room and the laundry building. You can access exactly what you will need to, but you shouldn't have access to anything beyond that.

In terms of bikes, I have not had good experiences with Spokes in St Andrews - if you're good at knowing what's a good buy in terms of bikes then it might be worth a look, but I have not had very positive experiences with them*. The auction house might be worth a try, you could look for online adverts for the area, and I think Dundee would be worth a look provided you have some way of getting the bike back.

*I took my old bike in wanting to get it repaired, and they said it was irreparably broken when all it needed was oiling. I bought a second hand bike whose handles became loose within days of buying it, and I lost control at a roundabout when it loosened very suddenly. To be fair they fixed it for me... but overall I feel that they took advantage of my lack of knowledge. I know more about bikes now, but I'd still be reluctant to buy there.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It used to open the backdoor, I don't know why it stopped working. There's also the laundry room that it opens.

If anyone is wondering what the DRA bathrooms are like, think like a travelodge, but without the bath. I don't think it's a problem that there's no window in the bathroom.

Spokes do bikes in St Andrews, if you google it they're the second result. You can probably also get one from Argos (some assembly required!). Haven't got a clue about Dundee.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.