Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by LGF92)
My modules page says

French 9am
Russian 11am + 1 oral hour to be arranged
German 3pm

Which days are these on? Will I find out when I get there?
You'll find out when you get there - you'll also most likely have French and German tutorials that will be at different times than 9am/3pm respectively.
ajm
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
I have a rather silly question...
What in general do people do when they have boyfriends/girlfriends come to stay from afar? I don't mean anything unsavoury of course... Are they generally lodged in BnBs? I read something in the Uni Hall guide about campbeds that I didn't quite understand.

duracell
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ajm)
I have a rather silly question...
What in general do people do when they have boyfriends/girlfriends come to stay from afar? I don't mean anything unsavoury of course... Are they generally lodged in BnBs? I read something in the Uni Hall guide about campbeds that I didn't quite understand.

Not sure about Uni Hall, but I know in McIntosh if you had a guest coming to stay you could ask for a campbed +bed linen for your room - not sure if you had to pay for it or not though. You can also get meal tickets but they were ridiculously expensive (£7.50ish for lunch/dinner - when you can get a ready meal from Tesco for about £3). Generally though I think people just share beds/let their gf/bf crash on the floor - although if you have a roommate make sure you talk to them about it first, and if they are uncomfortable with it my advice would be to respect that. No one should be made to feel uncomfortable in their own room.
Sambo2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by duracell)
Not sure about Uni Hall, but I know in McIntosh if you had a guest coming to stay you could ask for a campbed +bed linen for your room - not sure if you had to pay for it or not though. You can also get meal tickets but they were ridiculously expensive (£7.50ish for lunch/dinner - when you can get a ready meal from Tesco for about £3). Generally though I think people just share beds/let their gf/bf crash on the floor - although if you have a roommate make sure you talk to them about it first, and if they are uncomfortable with it my advice would be to respect that. No one should be made to feel uncomfortable in their own room.
that's what sexcile is for.. - yeh the meals are shockingly expensive, I think it's even more than that actually, I remember being shocked..
Lala29
Report 8 years ago
Hi, I'll be starting at St Andrews this September, studying Philosophy and German. I was just wondering what the situtation with books was. Do we need to buy all the books on the reading list or can we rely on borrowing them from the library? And if we need to buy them, is there anywhere I can buy them cheaply or second hand?

Thanks.
duracell
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Lala29)
Hi, I'll be starting at St Andrews this September, studying Philosophy and German. I was just wondering what the situtation with books was. Do we need to buy all the books on the reading list or can we rely on borrowing them from the library? And if we need to buy them, is there anywhere I can buy them cheaply or second hand?

Thanks.
You may not need to buy all the books on the reading list - my general advice is wait til you get here and get more info from your module co-ordinator/tutor/lecturer. However, be warned that while the library do stock a lot of the books on reading lists - some of them may be in short supply, particularly when it comes to weekly readings for tutorials. If you want to, you can check what the library stock is like here: http://library.st-andrews.ac.uk/

There is a Barnardo's Books on Bell Street where you can get second hand books - although I've often found it's a matter of luck getting what you want. Blackwell's sometimes have second-hand books as well, they're not as cheap as in charity shops but are still slightly cheaper than RRP. Another thing worth noting, is if you get a Blackwell's Reward Card you do eventually get credit for your points. I did make use of this, as I bought a couple of (quite expensive) IR books, along with my texts for French/Spanish, and by the end of first semester managed to get one of my texts using only my reward credit.
LGF92
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
For languages, I've just bought myself a dictionary and some grammar books to start off with, and then I'll see what they say when I get there.
ajm
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by duracell)
Thanks, I know it's a stupid question but seems like the sort so obvious that it's difficult to be sure, haha.
katbro20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by fg08)
Cheers
Majoring in IR and Econ, is it possible to take only IR and Econ modules in my second year?
They offer three additional Econ modules in the second year. Two with 10 credits each semester and one with 20 credits which can either be taken in the first or second part of the year. Is it possible to take 70 credits in one and 50 credits in the other semester?
:stomp: Ah too many questions, I apologies for that :P
You can if you want, but you can still take a third subject in second year. I think you can do 70 and 50, I did 60 and 70 last year. Just talk to your advisor and I'm sure he'll let you.
Lucia.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by LGF92)
For languages, I've just bought myself a dictionary and some grammar books to start off with, and then I'll see what they say when I get there.
If it helps at all I remember one of the German books being called "Neue Horizante". My first year roommate's degree is in French and German and she had a copy of that book.

- Lucia
fn_101
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What's the latest date an entering second year can return next month? If I was to arrive on Tues would it be too late?
duracell
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by fn_101)
What's the latest date an entering second year can return next month? If I was to arrive on Tues would it be too late?
According to the website, second years will be advised on Wednesday the 22nd of September, so you need to be around for that.
Lala29
Report 8 years ago
Hi, thanks a lot for all the advice on books Would you be able to tell me an approximate budget I should have for buying them?
yodude888
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What's the actual male/female student ratio?

Juuuuust thinking "pigeon-hole principle"
ImperceptibleNinja
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by yodude888)
What's the actual male/female student ratio?

Juuuuust thinking "pigeon-hole principle"
This says 44:56, but I don't know how reliable that is. It doesn't seem wildly unrealistic IMO though.
This says 60:40, which I am less inclined to believe.

In conclusion, I don't know. Overall, I don't think it's too far off 50:50, but I think there are slightly more females overall, and it's less balanced in certain subjects/halls.
Sambo2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
This says 44:56, but I don't know how reliable that is. It doesn't seem wildly unrealistic IMO though.
This says 60:40, which I am less inclined to believe.

In conclusion, I don't know. Overall, I don't think it's too far off 50:50, but I think there are slightly more females overall, and it's less balanced in certain subjects/halls.
lol the push site also claims that academic families offer academic guidance... :lol:

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/search...ATA%ACNo%ACYes

it's 43:57 boys:girls
ImperceptibleNinja
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Sambo2)
lol the push site also claims that academic families offer academic guidance... :lol:

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/search...ATA%ACNo%ACYes

it's 43:57 boys:girls
xD I hadn't paid that much attention to it! Oops...
Paulina92
Report 8 years ago
Hey, to come back to the booklist thing. A lot of Philosophy/Language people seem to have received booklists. I'm going into Psychology/Biology and I didn't receive anything. Is that normal?
Ecosse_14
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What do guys wear to the several balls that are held? Can they wear normal suits rather than dinner suits/tuxedos?
duracell
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Ecosse_14)
What do guys wear to the several balls that are held? Can they wear normal suits rather than dinner suits/tuxedos?
KILTS!
I think a lot of guys do wear dinner suits/tuxes, but there are also those who wear normal suits.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of St Andrews
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 6 Mar '19
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 13 Mar '19
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Apr '19

Are you chained to your phone?