St Andrews - Ask A Current Student Thread Watch

Icecradle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
you're supposed to pick your mother and be picked by your father. Basically when you meet a third year you like just ask 'fancy being my parent'. I'd advise doing this quickly before that person gets other kids and has no more room for others. Most people will go for 4 kids max... too many costumes/raisin receipts to make otherwise

That pub I suggested (which was awesome by the way... even the shinty lads agree!) is closed for renovation. Probably best at the mo is the criterion (the old laffertys) even though the numerous tv screens with football are a little distracting. The Vic is good for loud music, the central is better if you like something quieter where you can actually hear each other chat, the union is good for cheap drinks and has plenty of pools tables, dance machines, racing machines, shooting machines (paintball practise?) heh.
blondemoment
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i was not being serious about the wool mill shop, just before you think i'm odder than i actually am. it was an idea to pay hommage to the tweed idea without wearing it!

anyone who wants to be my academic family feel free! just remind me/ pointyourself out when/if i get there!

which one of you is Hannah? ICECRADLE? i always thought you were a dude, with the avatar edward and all.
Icecradle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
yes I'm Hannah. The avatar is Edward Scissorhands played by Johnny Depp... sorry, I suppose it's a little misleading.. I'll change it.

---
edit:

better? Now it's me.
birkstopher40
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Edinburgh Wool Mill! Haha, funny thing that.. last time I was at St. Andrews, I bought my mom a cashmere tartan shawl (or something like that).

I've got my academic father- he's a cool guy. He's in his 4th year when I get there, though, which apparently isn't that great. But what do academic parents really do, other than get you $#!&faced and dress you up in funny costumes?
Dalimyr
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by birkstopher40)
I've got my academic father- he's a cool guy. He's in his 4th year when I get there, though, which apparently isn't that great. But what do academic parents really do, other than get you $#!&faced and dress you up in funny costumes?
Not a lot, really
birkstopher40
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Actually? Nothing? So they're only of any use during freshers week?
PunkiePixie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Woah its pretty hard to keep up with you guys! Ive only been gone a few days and youve pretty much planned freshers week! How are you all btw?
^-^!

Im definately in for a TSR meet-up, it would be nice to know at least a few people before freshers week! But saying that we really should start a getting to know you thread, so everyone can introduce themselves, as there are loads of lurkers here and there!

Uniforms? Tweed? Pub Crawl! Paintballing!? Sounds hilarious! But we wouldnt want to get paint all over our tweed now would we! . I agree that uniforms may just socially out all of us :p:. So do we get free days in freshers week?

Sorry for all the questions, but how do you get to meet your academic parents, surely it would be kind of freaky to the 3rd and 4th years to have the 'little munchkins' asking them to be their parents.
PunkiePixie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Woah its pretty hard to keep up with you guys! Ive only been gone a few days and youve pretty much planned freshers week! How are you all btw?
^-^!

Im definately in for a TSR meet-up, it would be nice to know at least a few people before freshers week! But saying that we really should start a getting to know you thread, so everyone can introduce themselves, as there are loads of lurkers here and there!

Uniforms? Tweed? Pub Crawl! Paintballing!? Sounds hilarious! But we wouldnt want to get paint all over our tweed now would we! . I agree that uniforms may just socially out all of us :p:. So do we get free days in freshers week?

Sorry for all the questions, but how do you get to meet your academic parents, surely it would be kind of freaky to the 3rd and 4th years to have the 'little munchkins' asking them to be their parents.
PunkiePixie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Sorry about the double post! My computers playing up ^-^
Dalimyr
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by birkstopher40)
Actually? Nothing? So they're only of any use during freshers week?
...and Raisin Weekend
Icecradle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I go out with my parents quite regularly... and there's only a couple of years difference, so it's not like it's difficult to talk to them or anything.

I'm quite happy to be someone's mum, if anyone wants me.
Parrotman
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yay i'd like a mum. It feels really strange saying that....
mbm1087
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Oh yes I want parents too! And I just saw on the St. Andrews website, they've already started to put up info about orientation! (there's a whole schedule and everything! However, it's pretty simple and doesn't mention what the student's association events will be.) I don't think there is any free day in freshers week, but there are days when less is going on. Yay this will be so much fun!
Icecradle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
well, I'd advise meeting me first. -.O I might be your worst nightmare. The other thing is I whereas I do drink... I don't drink in order to get REALLY drunk. So if you want to get rat-arsed on raisin weekend then I'm not really the person to pick. On the other hand, if you want to have a fun day with a little bit of alcohol and some very stupid party games and other interesting events (mwahaha) then I'm your girl!
Dalimyr
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Icecradle)
The other thing is I whereas I do drink... I don't drink in order to get REALLY drunk. So if you want to get rat-arsed on raisin weekend then I'm not really the person to pick
I'm the same, but I'd happily let you all get rat-arsed, so long as I don't get rat-arsed myself
mbm1087
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah I'm the same too- I drink socially, but I don't like to go overboard.
Parrotman
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Icecradle)
well, I'd advise meeting me first. -.O I might be your worst nightmare. The other thing is I whereas I do drink... I don't drink in order to get REALLY drunk. So if you want to get rat-arsed on raisin weekend then I'm not really the person to pick. On the other hand, if you want to have a fun day with a little bit of alcohol and some very stupid party games and other interesting events (mwahaha) then I'm your girl!
Sure thing, I don't actually drink anyway, but I get along with drunk people since i'm hyper myself at times. :p: But yup i'll meet first just in case, any tips to choosing parents icecradle?

Orientation Week pdf: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/sss/orie...06%20flyer.pdf
blondemoment
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
hey folkies

i'm happy to be adopted! although icecradle and myself do have the same name. but i have just spent the last 6 years of education with my best friend and i named the same so i can deal with my [?] mother [?] being called that.

parrotman your my hero i've been looking all over for an official looking thing about orientation week, didn't look that hard apperently!
blondemoment
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
ok read this then discuss:

http://foi.st-andrews.ac.uk/Publicat...lobserv?id=673

1) does this mean that we have exams after christmas
2) if not does this mean we wouldn't come back til Feb after christmas?
3) if so can we come back early? like before term begins again in Feb?

cheers
mbm1087
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hey Blondemoment! I'm pretty sure we have exams after Christmas. Then we get some time off before Candlemass Semester starts. I think alot of people use that time to travel (one of my friends at St. Andrews went to Spain for it), but many people stay on campus as well. I don't know if we can come back during Christmas vacation, because I think it depends on what residence hall you're in. (I think some of the halls had to clear out during Christmas vacation, but I'm not sure).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1618)
79.12%
Leave (427)
20.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise