Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluesky42)
    Is the logic and philosophy of science - physics course more philosophy orientated or more sciency, or is it completely balanced?
    Also, is there just as much practical work as straight physics?
    Thanks
    The descriptions here to me suggest that there's some flexibility but you could probably do about 50:50 overall (although that's just my impression of it). It looks like it comprises of some philosophy modules and some physics modules, and for each of the subjects there will be some core modules to do and some options as well. I think the 1st and 2nd level physics modules all have labs, but after that you might be able to choose your modules to minimise lab work. There are some handbooks here telling you what modules you need to do for a physics degree, but I don't know that it will give you much more insight than knowing there are some compulsory modules, and some options.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maggiemayday)
    what did you find the cost of saint andrews over one year? If i was really skimpy and lived in a self catered cheap dorm. i did some quick calculations and got it around 27 thousand dollars, or 20,150 euro. anyone think i could survive on that amount realistically?
    Hmm. Just the fees are $20,000 ish for international students here, right?
    My year's expenditure including everything but fees is looking at working out around the equivalent of $13000 USD. I think $27000 would be pushing it if that includes fees, you'd be living very frugally indeed. And factoring in that presumably you'll have flights to pay for at the start of term, start of reading week, end of reading week, start of christmas, end of christmas, start of inter-semester, end of intersemester, start of spring holiday, end of spring holiday and the end of the year...? You're not going to have an awful lot left to live off at all...

ReputationRep:
    I spend roughly £70 a month (maybe a bit more, once you include alcohol) on shopping at Morrisons, plus £20 on travel - since I live in the DRA and I can't be arsed to walk to town at 8am on a Monday - then general overhead means I spend around £300 a month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epione)
    And factoring in that presumably you'll have flights to pay for at the start of term, start of reading week, end of reading week, start of christmas, end of christmas, start of inter-semester, end of intersemester, start of spring holiday, end of spring holiday and the end of the year...?

Maggiemayday - I don't know where you're from, but none of my American friends go home at every holiday we get. Generally you'd pay for flights at the start of term, start of xmas holiday, end of xmas holiday, start of easter, end of easter, and end of year. A lot of international students use reading week/intersemester as a chance to see more of the UK/Europe.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all of your advice! It's been very helpful.

ReputationRep:
    When do we have to be back after christmas? My first exam isn't till the 13th so I was thinking of coming back on the 11th - is that permissible?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epione)
    When do we have to be back after christmas? My first exam isn't till the 13th so I was thinking of coming back on the 11th - is that permissible?
    I'm returning on the 11th too, as far as I know it's ok to do that.

ReputationRep:
    Hello Everyone.I know some people may say I’m a bit to young to be thinking about university since im only 15 :P But I personal adore St Andrews and wish to go study there in future, but sadly from the look of my grades I’m not sure if I should bother to applier.

Since I’m an international student studying in an Asian country I’m currently doing my IGCSE with my mocks next term my current grades are
    Geography – A
    Business – B
    History – B
    Science - B
    ICT – C
    Math’s – C
    English – C

I know they are not the best looking grades but I hope to improve them, After IGCSE I’ll hopefully be taking IB and I wanted to know if I don’t get the 38 IB score they ask for would I have any chance of getting in ? What can I do to increase my chances? I do a lot of service projects with the school would this help ?

I really would to accomplish my dream of going to SA.

ReputationRep:
    **Applier... what am i going on about, APPLY i mean
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by brookie)
    Hello Everyone.I know some people may say I’m a bit to young to be thinking about university since im only 15 :P But I personal adore St Andrews and wish to go study there in future, but sadly from the look of my grades I’m not sure if I should bother to applier.

Since I’m an international student studying in an Asian country I’m currently doing my IGCSE with my mocks next term my current grades are
    Geography – A
    Business – B
    History – B
    Science - B
    ICT – C
    Math’s – C
    English – C

I know they are not the best looking grades but I hope to improve them, After IGCSE I’ll hopefully be taking IB and I wanted to know if I don’t get the 38 IB score they ask for would I have any chance of getting in ? What can I do to increase my chances? I do a lot of service projects with the school would this help ?

Your GCSE's don't really matter and it all counts on your IB. You're gonna need to work hard in order to get the highest IB score possible. Also writing a very good PS will help you but your ages away from that. Service projects, etc wouldn't really help much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brookie)

Geography – A
    Business – B
    History – B
    Science - B
    ICT – C
    Math’s – C
    English – C

you also have a small advantage in that you're an international student.
    but don't rely on that at all
    Get good grades and make a kick-ass PS.

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I'm a UK applicant (from Scotland) who applied for both Financial Economics and Economics&Management
    (yes i know, how stupid to apply for two courses within the same department when supposedly the courses are the same the first two years...).

Anyway,

I was wondering when most UK economics applicants got offers last year, and so when I can expect feedback this year (2011)?

Was also wondering how good the economics/management department's employer relations are, ie. are economics graduates popular with top tier Investment Banks, are there many employer-linked events going on etc.

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stock-Addict)
    Hi!
    I'm a UK applicant (from Scotland) who applied for both Financial Economics and Economics&Management
    (yes i know, how stupid to apply for two courses within the same department when supposedly the courses are the same the first two years...).

Anyway,

I was wondering when most UK economics applicants got offers last year, and so when I can expect feedback this year (2011)?

Was also wondering how good the economics/management department's employer relations are, ie. are economics graduates popular with top tier Investment Banks, are there many employer-linked events going on etc.

Cheers!
    Uhm in answer to your first part, after the UCAS deadline I'm afraid. and I got mine March the 11th. but I'm a biologist so could be sooner for you. But deffo after the UCAS deadline.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Stock-Addict)
    Hi!

Anyway,

Cheers!
    I'd expect to hear back late January/February if I were you.

I have no idea about graduate prospects or whatever but there are many events throughout the year where you can go interact with employers, especially the Business Summit where many employers are invited to talk to students and academics and there are many workshops. You also get many emails about opportunities for internships and employment (most of these being abroad).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel-Ballingall)
    Uhm in answer to your first part, after the UCAS deadline I'm afraid. and I got mine March the 11th. but I'm a biologist so could be sooner for you. But deffo after the UCAS deadline.
    I've applied to do zoology here, i know it's slightly different to biology but how is the course/modules?

And my birthday's March the 11th so defo hoping for an offer then, would be sweet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matth55)
    I've applied to do zoology here, i know it's slightly different to biology but how is the course/modules?

And my birthday's March the 11th so defo hoping for an offer then, would be sweet
    The course is pretty good! Yeah biology/zoology do pretty much the same thing in 1st&2nd year.
    The course is really flexable, and even if you do go to St ANdrews to do Zoology, it's not like written in stone, you can switch to do anything real easily.
    St Andrews does encourage you to do a wide range of modules in the biology-field - just so that you get a better all-round degree at the end.

Some people think that some of the modules/lecturers talk to you like you're an idiot? But I don't mind really... but heard a few people not keen for that.

ReputationRep:
    Any idea how easy/difficult it would be for me to take Computing Science along with History if I'm accepted into a single honours History course? I guess I would need to also meet the Comp. Sci. course requirements to be able to do this?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Delaney)
    Any idea how easy/difficult it would be for me to take Computing Science along with History if I'm accepted into a single honours History course? I guess I would need to also meet the Comp. Sci. course requirements to be able to do this?
    They're in different faculties so I don't think you'd be able to do them together at honours. Maybe during 1st and 2nd year but I'm not to sure (maybe not).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ecosse_14)
    They're in different faculties so I don't think you'd be able to do them together at honours. Maybe during 1st and 2nd year but I'm not to sure (maybe not).
    Yeah sorry I meant during 1st and 2nd year, it said in the prospectus that up to 2 of your 3 subjects can be from different faculties.

Any idea if I really like another subject (e.g not History) whether I could change my entire degree to another subject that I studied in year 1 and 2?

Thanks for the help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delaney)
    Yeah sorry I meant during 1st and 2nd year, it said in the prospectus that up to 2 of your 3 subjects can be from different faculties.

Any idea if I really like another subject (e.g not History) whether I could change my entire degree to another subject that I studied in year 1 and 2?

Thanks for the help!
    I think you might be able to?
    As long as you take the right number of modules that the other degree requires and pass them well.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.