Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bumppp.786)
    I know it may be a little random but I'm hoping to study either History/Classics too, at St Andrews and was just wondering:

'3 As in one sitting at A level'

by one sitting, do universities mean either no resits, or no resitting the year?
    Surely they look at the AS and A2 grades rather than the module grades?

Thanks.
    Hello

I'm sorry I probably won't be able to help you that much because I don't sit A levels, I'm an EU applicant.
    But I'd think that they wouldn't mind you resitting as long as you receive the three As in the same year, i.e. not ABB in one year and AAB in the next one, even if you have the three As in different subjects.
    I have no idea about module grades and those things, unfortunately

I hope this was of a little help for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan118244)
    They mean doing it over 2 years and not resitting year.
    Phew, thanks baby, thanks for shedding some mother******* light on me.
    I love you, I really do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sappho)
    Hello

I'm sorry I probably won't be able to help you that much because I don't sit A levels, I'm an EU applicant.
    But I'd think that they wouldn't mind you resitting as long as you receive the three As in the same year, i.e. not ABB in one year and AAB in the next one, even if you have the three As in different subjects.
    I have no idea about module grades and those things, unfortunately

I hope this was of a little help for you?
    Hey

And thank you, it helped a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bumppp.786)
    Phew, thanks baby, thanks for shedding some mother******* light on me.
    I love you, I really do.
    Haha kk
    You should still phone them to make sure.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Heraspax)
    Okay I am away to ask the most stupid question I think possible

Basically, I had never really thought I'd get an offer from here so not thought about living here and always imagined myself living someplace bigger. But now I have one i am like AHHH MAYBE I SHOULD GO haha!

Anyway, did you find it hard to live someplace smaller? Is there enough in st andrews to keep you going or do you find yourself relying on like bigger towns like Dundee? If so, is there a good enough bus service for travelling around?

Thanks! I hope that didn't sound too bad
    Yes St Andrews is a small place and yes sometimes it annoys me but I think a big city could annoy you as well because they're just so cold and impersonal.
    St Andrews is close knit and friendly and I nearly always see someone I know on my walk into town. nothing is ever more than 30 minutes walk away.
    The clubs and pubs aren't the same as a big city but you grow to love them and still have a great time. food shopping is fine. theres tesco and morrisons/aldi. Clothes shopping isn't as great but realistically even if there were loads of shops, I wouldn't have loads of time or money to go shopping all the time. Theres a big h and M and a new look as well as a few individual shops. St Andrews is full of nice little quirky shops which I love.

as far as going to Dundee, it's nice once in a while. Theres a bus to Dundee at least every 20 mins. which runs until like 11.30. so it's not so good at night. but if you want to go out in Dundee, theres a bus from the raisin pub every wednesday. and theres also regular buses to Edinburgh and Glasgow.

ReputationRep:
    For shopping, I much prefer Dundee to Edinburgh. It's cheaper, less touristy and only with a slightly increased risk of getting stabbed.

ReputationRep:
    This has probably been asked a million times before but the search function wasn't very helpful :/ I'm going to visit St. Andrews in 10 days and my train arrives at Leuchars. I looked at the bus timetables and I was wondering which bus station in St. Andrews is closest to the University. Also, does anyone know how much a taxi from St. Andrews to Leuchars train station costs? Approximately?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seelentherapie)
    This has probably been asked a million times before but the search function wasn't very helpful :/ I'm going to visit St. Andrews in 10 days and my train arrives at Leuchars. I looked at the bus timetables and I was wondering which bus station in St. Andrews is closest to the University. Also, does anyone know how much a taxi from St. Andrews to Leuchars train station costs? Approximately?

Thanks in advance
    There's only one bus station in St Andrews, however there are quite a few stops dotted around. Your best bet though, as a first-timer, is to get off at the bus station and walk into town, to wherever you're going to.

The last time I took a taxi to the station, which was in November, it was about £11 maximum.

ReputationRep:

Thanks in advance
    There are buses every 15 minutes, or maybe every 30 minutes at the weekend. The bus station is right outside the train station (over a bridge over the tracks), you can't miss it. It's only 10 minutes on the bus, it's really close. A taxi would be ~£15, it's worth it if there are 3-4 of you, not otherwise.

What day do you get to StAs, and what are you studying? Maybe somewhere here could meet you/show you around if you need help with anything?

All the best
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    There are buses every 15 minutes, or maybe every 30 minutes at the weekend. The bus station is right outside the train station (over a bridge over the tracks), you can't miss it. It's only 10 minutes on the bus, it's really close. A taxi would be ~£15, it's worth it if there are 3-4 of you, not otherwise.

What day do you get to StAs, and what are you studying? Maybe somewhere here could meet you/show you around if you need help with anything?

All the best
    10 days time = A visiting day so presumably they're coming for that.

Oh, and I saw a taxi company advertise from St Andrews to Leuchars to be £10, don't ask me what they're called or their number though as I have no idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ecosse_14)

Oh, and I saw a taxi company advertise from St Andrews to Leuchars to be £10, don't ask me what they're called or their number though as I have no idea.
    Thanks for all the answers!

Yes, the Postgrad visiting day I'm a bit worried that I won't find my way to the 'registration point' (St. Salvador's Quandrangle, apparently) as I have a truly terrible sense of direction ...and the link to the map on the University Homepage isn't working. That's why I considered taking a taxi rather than walking from the bus station.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper

Yes, the Postgrad visiting day I'm a bit worried that I won't find my way to the 'registration point' (St. Salvador's Quandrangle, apparently) as I have a truly terrible sense of direction ...and the link to the map on the University Homepage isn't working. That's why I considered taking a taxi rather than walking from the bus station.
    Oh I never knew postgrads also went to St Salvator's Quad for their visiting day.
    I'll try and give you directions.
    If you leave the bus station via the way the bus came in (the main way), cross the road at the traffic lights, turn left and walk until you get to a T-junction with a roundabout (if I remember right this is quite a narrow path). Turn right and start walking up the street (this is North Street). At some point, cross the road. Keep walking until you get to a large chapel (there is an archway next to it and the letters PH are in stone on the pavement). Go through the archway and you're in St Salvator's Quad.

That probably won't help but oh well

ReputationRep:

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/wwwmap.pdf does this work? If so you'll be starting at 21 and going to 48 ish area
    As you might of heard, most/everyones really friendly and nice in st Andrews and I'm pretty sure anyone you ask will be happy to show you where st sally's quad ^is
    Failing that, I'm happy to show you where it ^is if I'm not busy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel-Ballingall)
    http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/wwwmap.pdf does this work? If so you'll be starting at 21 and going to 48 ish area
    As you might of heard, most/everyones really friendly and nice in st Andrews and I'm pretty sure anyone you ask will be happy to show you where st sally's quad ^is
    Failing that, I'm happy to show you where it ^is if I'm not busy
    Yes it does! Brilliant, thanks I shall print it out and hopefully I won't get lost XD
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yes it does! Brilliant, thanks I shall print it out and hopefully I won't get lost XD
    if you do get lost, ask anyone and they will tell you were the quad is. Once you get to North Street it's pretty much impossible to miss because of the tower.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking about applying for a physics-based course here, how long is the average lecture length and are you allowed to take notes via netbook.

Thanks
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Evan7788)
    I was thinking about applying for a physics-based course here, how long is the average lecture length and are you allowed to take notes via netbook.

Thanks
    Lectures in sub-honours are about 50 minutes long. I know this gets bumped up to just under 2 hours when you get into honours but I'm not sure about the sciences. You will also have additional labs/tutorials - don't know how long they last for physics. Yes, you can take your netbook.

ReputationRep:
    Lectures in sub-honours are about 50 minutes long. I know this gets bumped up to just under 2 hours when you get into honours but I'm not sure about the sciences. You will also have additional labs/tutorials - don't know how long they last for physics. Yes, you can take your netbook.
    Thank you, St Andrews seems a nice place and i hope i get the grades required to apply.

ReputationRep:

I have varyingly paid £12, £11.80 and £10.20 for Leuchars -> DRA. If the cabbie seems to be taking his time just bring him up on it (especially round Strathkinness they like to dally about to rack up the meter) and he should get it together. Find two or three people on the station platform and the fare divides!

ReputationRep:
    What is the best accomodation for a medic please?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.